What do landlords actually do with security deposits?

What do landlords actually do with security deposits?

Member since 2019 · 1 post · 0 votes

Hey all, I'm wondering what you all do when given a security deposit. Do you immediately put it in an escrow account or do you just keep it in your personal account? I've heard about landlords that pocket the deposit and then pay back their tenant when the lease is over- is this common? Overall, I'm curious what the community actually does.

Thanks!

0Reply
116 views

Most Popular Reply

Rental Property Investor · Erie, PA · Member since 2018 · 6k+ posts · 9k+ votes
6y

Immediately Spend it on malt liquor ,lotto tickets ,and Newport’s

See this reply in the discussion

32 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Rental Property Investor · Canton, OH · Member since 2017 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    6y

    @Matthieu Oliveira

    Depends on your state law. Mine go into my normal business account.

  • Member since 2018 · 563 posts · 562 votes
    6y
    Originally posted by @Ned Carey:

    @Cody L. I didn't say YOU were a slumlord. I don't believe that. And I suspected before you wrote it that you pay security deposits back in a responsible fashion. But I still say not knowing the law or caring about it is cavalier.  But most importantly I don't think it is good advice to give a new investor.

    Regarding my last comment about slumlord vs professional - that is Hyperbole to make a point. It was not aimed at you specifically. 

    I stand by my post. I figured you could handle it. 

    I must admit when I read it, it seemed like a dig at CodyL. Also, slumlord is kind of strong wording, possibly "novice vs professional" would be a more appropriate comparison, especially, if the tenant gets the money back in a timely fashion, something I don't think would be as likely with a slumlord.

    Just my 2c.

    have a great day!

  • Rental Property Investor · Miami, FL · Member since 2018 · 110 posts · 113 votes
    6y

    Hey Matthieu, 

    I keep that money on my reserves account for that specific property. Since I put away money into that account monthly to cover any unexpected expenses by the end of the lease term there is a good amount and usually more than predicted. If something big comes up prior to lease ending I sometimes use that deposit money to cover the expense and then pay it back to the account within the next few months. 

    Hope this helps! 

  • Rental Property Investor · San Diego, CA · Member since 2013 · 3k+ posts · 4k+ votes
    6y
    Originally posted by @Ned Carey:

    @Cody L. I didn't say YOU were a slumlord. I don't believe that. And I suspected before you wrote it that you pay security deposits back in a responsible fashion. But I still say not knowing the law or caring about it is cavalier.  But most importantly I don't think it is good advice to give a new investor.

    Regarding my last comment about slumlord vs professional - that is Hyperbole to make a point. It was not aimed at you specifically. 

    I stand by my post. I figured you could handle it. 

    All good man. I can handle it. Not much gets to me :-)

  • Ned CareyPro Member
    Moderator
    Investor · Baltimore, MD · Member since 2008 · 17k+ posts · 13k+ votes
    6y

    @Cody L. I kinda figured that. 

  • Raleigh, NC · Member since 2017 · 347 posts · 94 votes
    6y

    if it is truely a security deposit, you can't mix it with your personal funds (by state law usually).  if its a non-refundable fee, do whatever you want

  • Crystal SmithPro Member
    Moderator
    Real Estate Broker · Chicago, IL · Member since 2014 · 2k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    6y
    Originally posted by @Matthieu Oliveira:

    Hey all, I'm wondering what you all do when given a security deposit. Do you immediately put it in an escrow account or do you just keep it in your personal account? I've heard about landlords that pocket the deposit and then pay back their tenant when the lease is over- is this common? Overall, I'm curious what the community actually does.

    Thanks!

    What the community does isn't relevant. What's relevant is what's required by your State Laws or the laws of the state you're investing in. Every state is different. 

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.