Dropped Out of College

Dropped Out of College

Elgin, IL · Member since 2019 · 40 posts · 15 votes

Greetings BP,

So I’m 19 years old, from the Chicagoland area and I’ve decided to drop out of community college couple of weeks ago. I realized that a traditional education wasn’t for me and it would hold me back from achieving my dreams.

I am now educating myself on real estate investing everyday and pursuing entrepreneurship full time. I currently run an e-commerce store that has been profitable from the jump (looking to build more) and I’ve got one wholesale deal under my belt.

My goals right now are to own a few cash flowing rental properties and complete a couple of fix and flips to raise capital. I am looking to build long-term wealth through real estate.

I CURRENTLY need help/advice on:

-Raising capital for deals

-Learning the art of acquiring properties with OPM

-An efficient way to find great deals

-Looking for potential investors with the funds to partner up for future deals (Ex. I find the deal and I present it to an investor looking to split profits if it makes sense)

Any help would be much appreciated!

6Reply
197 views

Most Popular Reply

Flipper/Rehabber · Louisville, KY · Member since 2008 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
6y

Please reconsider putting away your need for instant gratification and speedy fulfillment of your dreams and go back to school. Going to community college in no way prevents you from investing in real estate at the same time. Claiming it blocks you from achieving your dreams is a false rationalization to quit something that you don't find fun or see the point of in your 19 yr old wisdom. I know this because I did it too.

Life is long. You will appreciate the knowledge and the experience of going to college and FINISHING later.

See this reply in the discussion

58 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Rental Property Investor · Albertville, AL · Member since 2019 · 18 posts · 11 votes
    6y

    @Jalen Chanthaboury

    If you are able to fund the first few flips/rentals with your e-commerce store along with wholesaling another deal or two then I don’t see any reason why you can’t get started at 19.

    Other commenters have mention getting a mentor to help guide you through this process and I agree with them. A more experienced investor could help provide knowledge while you supply time and money. After a few more deals are done the OTP door should open up.

    I’m going to send you a colleague request because I think we could bounce ideas off one another and learn from each other. Good luck with your entrepreneurial journey man.

  • Joe SplitrockPro Member
    Moderator
    Rental Property Investor · Sioux Falls, SD · Member since 2015 · 9k+ posts · 18k+ votes
    6y
    Originally posted by @Account Closed:
    Originally posted by @Joe Splitrock:
    Originally posted by @Adriane Allard:

    I don't always agree with the traditional education system of today. You can get a loan at 18 to memorize textbooks but you cannot get a loan to start a business...Most billionaires I know did not go to college. We never know the path chosen for us but I do know you need to think long and hard before making that decision and NO ONE on here or anywhere else can guide you. In terms of investing, I think you need to scale down your market and decide your business model. By doing so, you'll be able to make a plan that you can outline as you grow. You definitely need to have goals set on both a daily, monthly and yearly projective. That way your plan is always in front of you. Also get a mentor. That's an investment you can start now with little to no money. Don't look for the biggest name out there, find a seasoned investor on FB or here and tell them your vision and why you need help. Best Success!

     It isn't true that most billionaires didn't go to college. Most billionaires have a college degree (70%). Even of the ones who don't have a degree, most went to prestigious colleges and had top grades before dropping out. Two notable ones being Bill Gates and Mark Zuckerberg. But let's be clear, dropping out of community college is way different than genius programmers dropping out of Harvard. 

    The most popular colleges for billionaires are Harvard and Stanford, both schools being very difficult to get into. Even getting accepted at these schools means you are exceptionally intelligent and destined for success.

     I think the real issue here is how close to graduation and how much debt the kid currently has from already going to college. If he's in year 3 and his debt is substantial then he might as well finish the degree, because at least he may be able to get a decent $50k+ year job and have a chance. If he's only in month one and owes a couple grand while pursuing some generic degree then it may be better to drop out.

    But it goes without question that he's going to have to learn (hopefully sooner than later) that there are no shortcuts and to be successful at anything takes the same level of mind numbing time and work that would have gone into college anyways. 

    Community college should only be for two years, then you get your associates degree and go to a four year university. The average cost of community college tuition is under $5000 per year for a public college. I hope he is not in debt! Lots of people work their way through college.

    The people who have trouble are the ones who go to private colleges, live on campus, don't work and take 5-6 years to graduate. That is how you rack up $100K.

    You are spot on, there are no shortcuts. Especially if you want to run a business. 

  • Investor · United States · Member since 2018 · 565 posts · 356 votes
    6y
    Originally posted by @Jalen Chanthaboury:

    @Jason Allen

    Yes right now I’ve got about $19k saved up from my online business. I’m currently looking to find ways to get involved in real estate that suits best for the situation I’m in. I believe working towards to get a realtors license is my best bet and just let it flow from there, since they changed the age requirement to 18 in my state.

    I’ve heard about the Airbnb arbitrage model. I did my research on it before. Airbnb is not so effective in my area right now which is why I didn’t look too deep into it. But I’ll definitely reconsider.

    What’s this lease options you speak of? You mentioned that also.

    $19k is plenty to start in REI, and congrats on the online business. It might be in your best interest to beef that one up or do another one and build a digital portfolio.

    In addition to that you can take your capital and invest as a passive Limited Partner in big commercial multifamily deals (the only ones that are safe) Kind of like what Grant Cardone is doing but there are plenty of other one's like FundRise or your local real estate investor. That way your capital is working for your 24/7

    Lease options are when you offer to rent the property for a certain period with the option to buy at an agreed upon price at any time during the rental agreement. Usually you give a deposit of 2-10k, pay their mortgage plus a little bit more as a fee. Then you can rent the property to your tenants and create a spread. Then in 5 years you can exercise your option to buy at the agreed upon price which is probably much lower than the market value of the property (in the future) and make a decent capital gain and just refinance your money out and invest it elsewhere. If you want a video demonstration look up Samuel Leeds on YouTube and look for a video he has about making a poor guy rich in a week or something.

  • Elgin, IL · Member since 2019 · 40 posts · 15 votes
    6y

    @Jason Allen

    Your informational post is very helpful to me. I am going to send you a colleague request so we could discuss more in the future. Appreciate your input so much! Will definitely take all of this into account.

  • South Jersey · Member since 2019 · 43 posts · 41 votes
    6y
    Originally posted by @Joe Splitrock:
    Originally posted by @Adriane Allard:

    I don't always agree with the traditional education system of today. You can get a loan at 18 to memorize textbooks but you cannot get a loan to start a business...Most billionaires I know did not go to college. We never know the path chosen for us but I do know you need to think long and hard before making that decision and NO ONE on here or anywhere else can guide you. In terms of investing, I think you need to scale down your market and decide your business model. By doing so, you'll be able to make a plan that you can outline as you grow. You definitely need to have goals set on both a daily, monthly and yearly projective. That way your plan is always in front of you. Also get a mentor. That's an investment you can start now with little to no money. Don't look for the biggest name out there, find a seasoned investor on FB or here and tell them your vision and why you need help. Best Success!

     It isn't true that most billionaires didn't go to college. Most billionaires have a college degree (70%). Even of the ones who don't have a degree, most went to prestigious colleges and had top grades before dropping out. Two notable ones being Bill Gates and Mark Zuckerberg. But let's be clear, dropping out of community college is way different than genius programmers dropping out of Harvard. 

    The most popular colleges for billionaires are Harvard and Stanford, both schools being very difficult to get into. Even getting accepted at these schools means you are exceptionally intelligent and destined for success.

    Thanks Joe for your response. When I say they didn't go to college, I should have phased it as they did not get a degree. To be honest I don't care what college or university anyone is accepted too...That definitely does not equate success. I really don't think Jalen's question was related to whether or not a school is Ivy league, D1, county or community but rather differences of advice on three specific investor techniques.

    Adriane

  • Investor · United States · Member since 2018 · 565 posts · 356 votes
    6y
    Originally posted by @Jalen Chanthaboury:

    @Jason Allen

    Your informational post is very helpful to me. I am going to send you a colleague request so we could discuss more in the future. Appreciate your input so much! Will definitely take all of this into account.

    Sure thing, Let me know if you have any questions.

  • Member since 2019 · 4 posts · 2 votes
    6y
    Originally posted by @John Nachtigall:
    Originally posted by @Account Closed:

    @Eric Michaels

    College is a waste, unless the profession requires a license, e.g., lawyer, doctor, CPA, nurse, etc.

     A basic examination of data shows that is not true.   College simply pays.  

    https://www.bls.gov/careeroutlook/2018/data-on-display/education-pays.htm

    I have one of those professions that does not require certification (engineering) and 21 years into my career I am now an accredited investor able in invest legally in the syndications you apparently want to run.   So the question is, what would convince me to give 10s of thousands of dollars to a 19 year old college dropout with no experience, special skills or insight?   Hmmm....I must admit I am having a hard time coming up with an answer, I don't think there is anything you could say that would convince me to do that.  

    If you don't want to go to college that is your choice.   But my advice, since you asked, if to a get a job with people who do know about what you want to learn.    For example, CrowdSteet facilitates the syndication of dozens of projects at a time.   They are hiring

    https://www.crowdstreet.com/careers/

    An entry level position like this Associate Real Estate Analyst is perfect.

    https://careers.jobscore.com/careers/crowdstreet/jobs/associate-real-estate-analyst-ccJZCq6Gmr6y6iaKjNoogA?ref=rss&sid=68

    Wait, never mind, it requires that "worthless" college degree you don't want. Never mind.

    I know I am just a random anonymous voice on a chat forum, but I say this with 100% sincerity.   Allow for the possibility that at 19 years old you are not as smart as you think you are.   5 years ago when you were 14 you thought you had the world figured out, now think about how many things your 14 year old self thought were 100% true and turned out to be different.   At 24 do you think you will look back on 19 and laugh at your naivete?   I am not saying get a degree, formal educational settings are not for everyone.   I am saying that you need to learn from those with more experienced and knowledgeable than you.   If that is not college then it is a job.   A job with an organization where you can observe what it really takes.

    I sincerely wish you good luck.   

    ^^^ this guy went to college before the internet. Colleges are currently only liberal indoctrination camps. You can learn anything you want today online/books. I'm an attorney, so I am talking from experience. Not even law school prepares you to practice law. Read the Millionaire Next Door. Don't let anyone tell you you need to go to college to be successful. Just educate yourself, work hard, and invest. 

  • Santa Rosa, CA · Member since 2017 · 325 posts · 701 votes
    6y
    Originally posted by @Account Closed:
    Originally posted by @John Nachtigall:
    Originally posted by @Account Closed:

    @Eric Michaels

    College is a waste, unless the profession requires a license, e.g., lawyer, doctor, CPA, nurse, etc.

     A basic examination of data shows that is not true.   College simply pays.  

    https://www.bls.gov/careeroutlook/2018/data-on-display/education-pays.htm

    I have one of those professions that does not require certification (engineering) and 21 years into my career I am now an accredited investor able in invest legally in the syndications you apparently want to run.   So the question is, what would convince me to give 10s of thousands of dollars to a 19 year old college dropout with no experience, special skills or insight?   Hmmm....I must admit I am having a hard time coming up with an answer, I don't think there is anything you could say that would convince me to do that.  

    If you don't want to go to college that is your choice.   But my advice, since you asked, if to a get a job with people who do know about what you want to learn.    For example, CrowdSteet facilitates the syndication of dozens of projects at a time.   They are hiring

    https://www.crowdstreet.com/careers/

    An entry level position like this Associate Real Estate Analyst is perfect.

    https://careers.jobscore.com/careers/crowdstreet/jobs/associate-real-estate-analyst-ccJZCq6Gmr6y6iaKjNoogA?ref=rss&sid=68

    Wait, never mind, it requires that "worthless" college degree you don't want. Never mind.

    I know I am just a random anonymous voice on a chat forum, but I say this with 100% sincerity.   Allow for the possibility that at 19 years old you are not as smart as you think you are.   5 years ago when you were 14 you thought you had the world figured out, now think about how many things your 14 year old self thought were 100% true and turned out to be different.   At 24 do you think you will look back on 19 and laugh at your naivete?   I am not saying get a degree, formal educational settings are not for everyone.   I am saying that you need to learn from those with more experienced and knowledgeable than you.   If that is not college then it is a job.   A job with an organization where you can observe what it really takes.

    I sincerely wish you good luck.   

    ^^^ this guy went to college before the internet. Colleges are currently only liberal indoctrination camps. You can learn anything you want today online/books. I'm an attorney, so I am talking from experience. Not even law school prepares you to practice law. Read the Millionaire Next Door. Don't let anyone tell you you need to go to college to be successful. Just educate yourself, work hard, and invest. 

    Ouch...taking a shot at my age.   I will have you know we had kilobytes of information per minute that ran through our computer network.  We even had a whole lab of NEXT computers, straight from Steve Jobs himself.   :-)    

    Most colleges were liberal long before the internet, free love and the hippies of the 60s are just the safe spaces of today.   And I attended the Colorado School of Mines ('BS '90, MS '94), which has been teaching, among other things, open pit mining and oil extraction for more than a hundred years, I assure you even today no one would recognize it as a "liberal indoctrination camp".   I agree school did not teach me real world engineering.  It did, however, teach me how to think logically, solve problems, and how to behave.    

    Speaking of education, in addition to the Millionaire Next Door (great book) I would suggest the Wikipedia article on selection bias.    For example, only looking at the people who didn't go to college and became millionaires, rather than the whole population set which would show that is a very rare occurrence.   What percentage of people without college degrees become millionaires.  I plugged the question into the Google machine....apparently the answer is not a lot.  No degree gives you a much bigger hill to climb.   

    https://www.financialsamurai.com/chances-becoming-millionaire-by-race-age-education/

    Also 94% of the most powerful people in the US have degrees.  

    https://theconversation.com/the-myth-of-the-college-dropout-75760

    In the end, however, we agree.   Educate Yourself, Work Hard, and Invest.   I agree wholeheartedly.  There is more than 1 way to do each of those things. 

  • Tyler RowlandBusiness Member
    Lender · Cedar City, UT · Member since 2017 · 88 posts · 64 votes
    6y

    If your wish is to get into investing in real estate, I would second what many have already said.  Start a career path now.  The loans with the best terms are loans that require you have some job experience and a consistent income under your belt, most require a minimum of 2 years in the same field.  Better to start now then later.  

    Yes you can get Hard money loans to invest in real estate, but if you want to be able to refinance out of those high interest rate loans someday, then you will need to have that base.  That 2 year clock starts when you start that occupation.

    And if you can qualify for a conventional loan, you will definitely qualify for that hard money.  Which means you have more tools and options under your belt, giving you a greater likelihood of success.

    Tyler Rowland with Intercap Lending 554 Reviews
  • Rental Property Investor · San Diego, CA · Member since 2017 · 439 posts · 578 votes
    6y

    While I don’t condone or disagree with dropping out of college let’s be realistic.... going to college will NEVER prevent you from achieving your goals. It might prolong the process.... but it might also make the process easier through the contacts you’ve made, the experiences you’ve had and the education you have gained.

    It sounds like you’ve done this on a whim. Get back in school or get yourself a full time job. Start studying and immersing yourself in RE in whatever ways possible. If the time comes where you’re successful enough to drop out of school and think RE is a long term endeavor for you... then consider dropping out.

    You’re 19. Go to class. Grind on the side and explore your interest in RE. Have fun. Work a job with people your age. Date. Travel. Making big boy choices has big boy consequences. Enjoy the last little bit of youth while you figure it out.

    Just my 2 cents.

    Good luck.

  • Real Estate Agent · Torrance, CA · Member since 2018 · 33 posts · 27 votes
    6y

    My full-time profession is in education, specifically at a community college. Have you ever thought about using your community college as a source of networking and finding deals? Maybe take one course, perhaps real estate class every semester? At my community college, there are real estate brokers who teach part-time to source deals, find clients, and acquire new agents for their brokerage. As an agent, part of my sphere of influence is everyone at the college where I work which consists of 22,000 students, 1,200 faculty members, 500 classified (support) staff and hundreds of temps. I can't advertise myself all over the college that I'm an agent and investor because I work at the college, but I do talk too as many people as possible every day at my college and mention I'm an agent and investor.  

  • Rental Property Investor · Durham, NC · Member since 2016 · 7k+ posts · 7k+ votes
    6y

    @Jalen Chanthaboury. You will want that degree in the near future. Real estate investing is not easy. It’s a lot of work. You know what else isn’t easy? College. If anything college will teach you the problem solving skills and perseverance you need to be successful in the world.

    With the rise of social media being an entrepreneur has some sort of allure to it. 90 percent of businesses fail. The few that survive usually amount to a middle class living. Very very few see the astronomical amounts of success you are probably wanting.

  • Investor · Akron, OH · Member since 2016 · 2k+ posts · 4k+ votes
    6y
    Originally posted by @Mike Dymski:

    I wish I could drop out of work and go back to college.

    HAHAHAHA, ME TOO!!!

  • Elgin, IL · Member since 2019 · 40 posts · 15 votes
    6y

    @Alex Mendoza

    Thank you for your reply. Glad to hear your perspective Alex! Especially with your experiences.

  • Multifamily Syndicator · Houston, TX · Member since 2016 · 1k+ posts · 2k+ votes
    6y

    "it would hold me back from achieving my dreams" is quite a strong sentence 🤔🤔🤔

    Listen, if you are absolute in your conviction that education (traditional or not) is going to hold you back from achieving your dreams of being an entrepreneur, then start educating your mind full of more education, sorry psychology, as entrepreneurship is full of things holding you back! 

    • Lenders may not want to lend to you because you lack experience
    • Contractors may hold back you and your project back for God knows what reasons
    • The city will hold you back by shutting your project, you get the gist... 

    I love your passion but make sure you keep that fire burning strong after burning the path of traditional education at such a young age. 

    To conclude, no one is on here is RIGHT or WRONG about this topic and can see the future (or your future to be particular), so just prepare yourself for a success journey that isn't a straight line. 

    Good luck! 

  • Attorney · Sacramento, CA · Member since 2014 · 300 posts · 172 votes
    6y
    Congrats on taking the leap. If you're willing to work your tail off and delay gratification, RE will help you reach your goals without a formal education.

    Originally posted by @Jalen Chanthaboury:

    Greetings BP,

    So I’m 19 years old, from the Chicagoland area and I’ve decided to drop out of community college couple of weeks ago. I realized that a traditional education wasn’t for me and it would hold me back from achieving my dreams.

    I am now educating myself on real estate investing everyday and pursuing entrepreneurship full time. I currently run an e-commerce store that has been profitable from the jump (looking to build more) and I’ve got one wholesale deal under my belt.

    My goals right now are to own a few cash flowing rental properties and complete a couple of fix and flips to raise capital. I am looking to build long-term wealth through real estate.

    I CURRENTLY need help/advice on:

    -Raising capital for deals

    -Learning the art of acquiring properties with OPM

    -An efficient way to find great deals

    -Looking for potential investors with the funds to partner up for future deals (Ex. I find the deal and I present it to an investor looking to split profits if it makes sense)

    Any help would be much appreciated!

  • Real Estate Investor · Saint Paul, MN · Member since 2017 · 543 posts · 474 votes
    6y

    @Alex Mendoza College is not for everyone-many people I believe would be better served by trade school. But to say it is a waste is a bit harsh. It teaches you to think critically, communicate effectively, write clearly and concisely, and analyze and manage problems. In addition, as others have mentioned, it provides you with more opportunities than you would otherwise have. Plus you develop relationships that may last a lifetime. So no, it is probably not right for everyone, but it certainly is not a waste.

  • Contractor · Grand Marais, MN · Member since 2016 · 249 posts · 417 votes
    6y

    You will fully understand Mike's post in the near future. I guarantee you know more now than you will in 10 years. A 19 year old, with little money, no real connections, and no experience, you can do all of it. Focus on real estate for 40 hours, get your degree,  and work your online business. I have a degree I am not directly using, and college is not for everyone, but it is certainly not a detriment. Agent is going to be a tough gig at 19. Not many 50 year olds will trust your "experience ". If you don't go back, build that online business into a monster, and invest the proceeds.  

  • Investor · NJ · Member since 2018 · 869 posts · 921 votes
    6y

    my honest opinion, at 19 you're going to have a very difficult time using other people's money to make you money. People want to invest with someone who has experience. 

    learn a valuable skill and bring value to the table. While college isn't necessary to be successful you need income in order to save money & get capital. So find a decent paying w2. Learn a skill start your own business. 

  • Member since 2019 · 20 posts · 13 votes
    6y

    @Jalen Chanthaboury

    Congratulations. Sounds like you need a job.

  • Ned CareyPro Member
    Moderator
    Investor · Baltimore, MD · Member since 2008 · 17k+ posts · 13k+ votes
    6y

    @Jalen Chanthaboury I never went to college. I have done just fine. However I have spent as much as the cost of a college education on my real estate specific education.

    I would caution you that while you can buy with OPM that does not mean you can do this business without cash reserves. Do your best to build cash reserves as a safety net. 

  • Elgin, IL · Member since 2019 · 40 posts · 15 votes
    6y

    Yes, I plan on investing in a real estate specific education. And in terms of OPM, this definitely isn't the only resource I'll be depending on... Of course not. I am looking to leverage OPM to raise capital myself, or go in 50/50 with a partner and then reinvest those funds into income-generating assets. 

  • South Jersey · Member since 2019 · 43 posts · 41 votes
    6y
    Originally posted by @Account Closed:
    Originally posted by @John Nachtigall:
    Originally posted by @Account Closed:

    @Eric Michaels

    College is a waste, unless the profession requires a license, e.g., lawyer, doctor, CPA, nurse, etc.

     A basic examination of data shows that is not true.   College simply pays.  

    https://www.bls.gov/careeroutlook/2018/data-on-display/education-pays.htm

    I have one of those professions that does not require certification (engineering) and 21 years into my career I am now an accredited investor able in invest legally in the syndications you apparently want to run.   So the question is, what would convince me to give 10s of thousands of dollars to a 19 year old college dropout with no experience, special skills or insight?   Hmmm....I must admit I am having a hard time coming up with an answer, I don't think there is anything you could say that would convince me to do that.  

    If you don't want to go to college that is your choice.   But my advice, since you asked, if to a get a job with people who do know about what you want to learn.    For example, CrowdSteet facilitates the syndication of dozens of projects at a time.   They are hiring

    https://www.crowdstreet.com/careers/

    An entry level position like this Associate Real Estate Analyst is perfect.

    https://careers.jobscore.com/careers/crowdstreet/jobs/associate-real-estate-analyst-ccJZCq6Gmr6y6iaKjNoogA?ref=rss&sid=68

    Wait, never mind, it requires that "worthless" college degree you don't want. Never mind.

    I know I am just a random anonymous voice on a chat forum, but I say this with 100% sincerity.   Allow for the possibility that at 19 years old you are not as smart as you think you are.   5 years ago when you were 14 you thought you had the world figured out, now think about how many things your 14 year old self thought were 100% true and turned out to be different.   At 24 do you think you will look back on 19 and laugh at your naivete?   I am not saying get a degree, formal educational settings are not for everyone.   I am saying that you need to learn from those with more experienced and knowledgeable than you.   If that is not college then it is a job.   A job with an organization where you can observe what it really takes.

    I sincerely wish you good luck.   

    ^^^ this guy went to college before the internet. Colleges are currently only liberal indoctrination camps. You can learn anything you want today online/books. I'm an attorney, so I am talking from experience. Not even law school prepares you to practice law. Read the Millionaire Next Door. Don't let anyone tell you you need to go to college to be successful. Just educate yourself, work hard, and invest. 

    Great point Alex!

  • Handyman · Pittsburgh, PA · Member since 2018 · 5k+ posts · 13k+ votes
    6y

    @Jalen Chanthaboury

    In 334 BC, Alexander the Great crossed the Hellespont with 48,100 soldiers and 6,100 cavalry to land in what is today Turkey. He was 22 years old. He had a magnificent plan, to conquer as far he could go with his army. He ordered his army to burn the 100-or-so boats they had come over on in order to convince his men that there was no turning back. He succeeded in his goals well beyond anything the world had ever seen before. Had he not died so young, just ten years later, the planet's maps might look very different today.

    In 1519, Hernán Cortés de Monroy landed in Mexico with 500 men, 13 horses, and either 5 or 6 cannons. He was 34 years old. His goal: to conquer the Aztec Empire of 5-6 million people and cast down the Emperor in his capital city of Tenochtitlán (population 140,000).  Upon landing on the coast, Cortés forced his men to set fire to the 11 ships that had brought them. There would be no turning back. Cortés too, accomplished the unimaginable AND he lived for 28 more years to savor his accomplishment and guarantee his conquest.

    This is your moment, Jalen. The moment lesser men come to fearful and trembling, unmanned in their cowardice. But you are taking the hard road to the heights; the path of a noble aspiration, a titanic will. Your bowels have not turned to water, you are not gibbering in terror, no indeed, you girded up your loins, dropped out of tertiary education, and set off with a triumphal proclamation to the stars here on Bigger Pockets, "I'M ON MY WAY!"

    You could become Alexander.

    You could become Cortés.

    You could do it all, have it all, achieve it all. It's all up to you. To the victor goes the spoils and the immortal glory, and only to the victor.

    Best of luck.

  • Rental Property Investor · Baton Rouge, LA · Member since 2018 · 65 posts · 76 votes
    6y

    @Jalen Chanthaboury I think collage gets a bad wrap these days and though I certainly don’t think you have to have a collage degree to be successful in 2019 and a collage Degree should not be a substitute for continuing your financial and emotional education out side of school; that being said there are benefits and I certainly would not say that it hurts or holds you back in any way. Look, I want to be an entrepreneur and I want to own my own business and invest in real estate and an institutional education is not a DIRECT prerequisite for any of those things but it helps. Let me explain, when I ask other people to invest hundreds of thousands of dollars with me, I assure you the degree in Finance and Masters in Buisness Administration that I have make it a lot easier for them to write that check and feel comfortable that I know a thing or two about how money works and that I probably at the very least a basic working knowledge of accounting, business laws, finance and marketing. Also many people view a degree as someone’s ability and willingness to follow though on a commitment! Could you learn more with a YouTube subscription and a library card? Probably but that don’t really say anything about your integrity when it comes to follow through, commitment and finishing what you started which are characteristics people look for. Another issue worth noting on the topic is it’s been real easy for me to buy and finance the 18 rentals I’ve acquired over the last 18 months with my 6 figure salary form my corporate job that I probably wouldn’t have without my degrees. Also, I have a network of successful professionals to invest in my deals that I met in collage. Now all that being said I would not go getting in a bunch of student loan debt that it’s gonna take years to pay off. I’m just saying that it shouldn’t be viewed as either or, one can greatly assist and expedite the other. Good luck and I’m sure you will do great either way!

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.