Starting out. Need advice on multi-family FHA financing!

Starting out. Need advice on multi-family FHA financing!

Rental Property Investor · Cleveland, OH · Member since 2012 · 110 posts · 13 votes

Hello All,

I am looking at getting into my first real estate deal. I am age 22 and have been self-employed (started an insurance agency) for the last almost 3 years. I will be getting married July 2013.

I am looking at getting into real estate investing with a long term goal of having many multi-family apartment buildings / units. I want to start off with a 2-4 unit property (owner occupied).

I am very eager to get into my first deal and am currently thinking about financing. Of course I need to make sure the numbers work with the property, but I am interested to make sure I can attain the financing that I want/need.

I am wanting to probably go FHA financing for my first deal (owner-occupied multi-family for the first year I believe?). I have looked at a few properties and I was recommended by the real estate brokerage to get pre-qualified for the loan to see how much I can get in financing first so I will be able to look at the loans in my price-range.

Does this sound like good advice? With the first 4 real estate agents I have talked to so far, 3 of them seem like morons. I feel that I know more about multi-family RE after only a few weeks of casual research than any of them combined.

I have only about $5,000 that I can work with currently, so I am trying to use this as my down payment (FHA 3.5% down). I would like to get into a 4 unit if possible, but even a 3 unit would be fine. I would do a duplex but I prefer 3-4 units.

I don't have a ton of money for my 2010 or 2011 adjusted gross income (personal) as I have dumped most of my money back into my business for growth, although ever since I started I have always been positive income.

I am sorry for the long post, but I am just looking for answers and trying to see the best way to finance my first deal. I am not sure "how much" I can get with only $5,000. I would also try to have the seller pay the closing costs (roll that into the sale price) so I don't need to come up with all the cash at once.

Please give me advice on the FHA financing and my first deal in general. I hope it's not too difficult to get FHA financing with being self-employed for the last 2.7 years and not showing a whole lot for my personal adjusted gross income.

Thanks in advance for the help!
Craig

0Reply
12 views

1 Reply

Jump to latestLatest
  • Specialist · Portland, OR · Member since 2010 · 3k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    14y

    Craig,

    It is best to find an agent that does a lot of FHA business. Many agents don't like FHA because it tends to attract lower cost buyers.

    Not sure which lender is best but you might try US Bank. It is also important that you use a lender that does a lot of these too. Agents and loan officers not fluent in FHA will not serve you well. Good luck.

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.