Unclear about timeline of purchasing first multi-family house.

Unclear about timeline of purchasing first multi-family house.

Easthampton, MA · Member since 2018 · 4 posts · 0 votes

Title says it all.

I know most of the things I will need to do and people I will need to hire, but not when to hire them. At what point do I meet with X, to do Y. 

For instance, I know I need to meet with a Real Estate attorney (mandatory in my state), but I have no idea at what point I should contact one. How does one find this information out? Is there any sort of timeline that has been laid out somewhere for a first-time home buyer?

Thanks for any help!

0Reply
14 views

1 Reply

Jump to latestLatest
  • Member since 2019 · 92 posts · 56 votes
    6y

    Hello Zac.

    I don't know how real estate closings are done in Massachusetts.

    I can tell you that in my state of Illinois, a buyer does not have to hire an attorney but then he will have to trust that the Seller is complying with the terms of the contract.  The title company will not assist you and Seller's attorney's will not argue/debate with your Agent as your legal representative.

    Many buyers in other states are told that they don't need an attorney until there is a problem and then they realize they need an attorney.

    Since you are a first time buyer, you should hire an attorney and when you feel more comfortable, you may continue buying without hiring one.

    I see no reason why you don't start contacting and interviewing real estate agents right now.  You can ask them about their fees, all the work they will do for those fees, will they assist in preparing a contract (Agent will do this if they have one), represent them during negotiations, attend the closing etc.

    In Illinois, I don't usually get involved until my Client's Agent sends me a signed contract unless I prepare a contract for a FSBO Seller. However, my regular Clients call me often with questions before they even make the initial offer.

    If you have an Agent, he/she might refer you to an attorney but don't continue to use him if you don't like him/work well with him.

    Good luck. 

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.