Rent by room or floor or whole house?

Rent by room or floor or whole house?

Member since 2019 · 22 posts · 2 votes

I just recently closed on 4 bedroom 2 bath house. First time house hacker. I can actually be convert another room into a fifth bedroom with just a wall.  I would stay in the fifth bedroom. I was wondering what would be the optimal route to go.  Should I rent out by each room?  I could rent out the top floor (2 beds, 1 bath) or the bottom basement (2 beds, 1 bath) as well?  I'm trying to figure what would be the most optimal vs. most profitable.  Am I flying to close to the sun on this?

0Reply
9 views

1 Reply

Jump to latestLatest
  • Indian Harbour Beach, FL · Member since 2018 · 92 posts · 99 votes
    6y

    I have a 4/3 with bonus room on 1st floor (so really 5/3). 3/2 upstairs and 2/1 downstairs. I live downstairs and the bonus room is currently my storage room, but I rent all 3 rooms out upstairs. In my town, I am not allowed to have more than 4 unrelated people living in the house. My thought, if I ever get to cleaning out that bonus room, is to airbnb that room.

    Definitely check your local codes/laws to see if you are even legally allowed to rent to that many people in the same house.

    Another thought - many people don't like sharing a bathroom. And if they don't mind, it's usually limited to only one other person. So 5 people and only 2 bathrooms? Might not work out well.

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.