I'm learning I am more of an ACTIONABLE person

I'm learning I am more of an ACTIONABLE person

New to Real Estate · Saint Louis · Member since 2019 · 12 posts · 4 votes

Was anybody else angry after reading Rich Dad, Poor Dad? Lol I wished I got a hold of it sooner! About a year ago I found I have a love of books, and I haven't stopped ever since. In the back of my mind I always knew there was a different way to treat finances and navigate through life and eventually reach financial freedom. I grew up in a check to check, jelly toast for dinner type of household. I currently don't have any properties, but I'm working to learn more everyday. My excitement to get started lead me to reach out to people prematurely with no real plan (I hate when people waste my time too). I've since created a business plan and continue to learn each day. I'd like to invest in single or multi family homes to rent out. Minor rehab would be preferable as well. 

What has lead me to discover that I like to get things done is that I am currently living in France as a professional basketball player. This means I sign a new contract each year between seasons, and I do not receive a W2. I'm not sure how easy it will be to get lending without having the normal documents and proof of employment if between seasons. Being in Europe doesn't make this easy at all, but if something is too easy it probably isn't worth it. So should I wait to network with people until I get back to America in May or June or continue reaching out online but with a more direct plan? 

Also, if anybody has any advice for me about a SFH in Conway, Arkansas I'd appreciate it. A family member owns this property with no mortgage, and it's near a college. I think it could be a good opportunity to get started. I've seen Conway grow a ton over the years, but I am not totally sure about the real estate market. My original target markets were Saint Louis, MO and the Dallas area, but I am willing to adapt.

Thanks!

2Reply
15 views

Most Popular Reply

Rental Property Investor · Higginson, AR · Member since 2015 · 123 posts · 101 votes
6y
We have a small house in the lake Conway area, Listed it Friday and rented Tuesday. I think Conway is a good market. for rentals. 3 colleges represented in Conway!
See this reply in the discussion

5 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Real Estate Broker · Fayetteville, AR · Member since 2018 · 75 posts · 50 votes
    6y

    Hi Cory. Start networking now! That way, whenever you do come back stateside, you'll be ready with the connections you need to start moving faster. I'm in Northwest Arkansas, and I don't know the Conway market, but with the two colleges there, I bet it's a good place to get started. Good luck with your endeavors, and enjoy Europe! I spent a year in France and loved it. 

  • Rental Property Investor · Higginson, AR · Member since 2015 · 123 posts · 101 votes
    6y
    We have a small house in the lake Conway area, Listed it Friday and rented Tuesday. I think Conway is a good market. for rentals. 3 colleges represented in Conway!
  • Rental Property Investor · Saint Louis, MO · Member since 2016 · 123 posts · 84 votes
    6y

    @Cory Remekun I invest in St. Louis so if you want to advice about this market, let me know. Ball up!

  • New to Real Estate · Saint Louis · Member since 2019 · 12 posts · 4 votes
    6y

    @Michael Ward Thanks for the advice! Yeah its been pretty great here!

  • New to Real Estate · Saint Louis · Member since 2019 · 12 posts · 4 votes
    6y

    @Ray Fisher Congratulations! Sounds like it could be the right place

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.