Can I get more than one mortgage in my name?

Can I get more than one mortgage in my name?

Flipper/Rehabber · Charlotte, NC · Member since 2019 · 5 posts · 0 votes

My wife and I did a live in flip on our first house and sold that house for a bank owned property.

That was 5 years ago and we have about $250k in equity in this home after rehab and appreciation. We are talking about purchasing another distressed property and flipping that.

But we want to continue to live in this home.

Can we get more than one mortgage in our name?

0Reply
19 views

8 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Flipper/Rehabber · Farmville, VA · Member since 2018 · 280 posts · 171 votes
    6y
    Yes. However if I was in your shoes with $250k in equity I would be looking at a refinance on my primary residence or a HELOC and purchasing an investment property in cash. I don't see the point in paying 20% down on an investment property while sitting on that much cash.
  • Kerry BairdPro Member
    Rental Property Investor · Melbourne, FL · Member since 2011 · 3k+ posts · 2k+ votes
    6y

    Yes you can.

  • Real Estate Agent · Mukilteo, WA · Member since 2018 · 124 posts · 148 votes
    6y

    Yes you can and like Ben said, a HELOC is a great tool! I have around 280k in equity in my primary residence and used my HELOC to purchase a rental property in full.

  • Theresa HarrisPro Member
    Member since 2019 · 15k+ posts · 11k+ votes
    6y

    The main thing that limits how many mortgages you can have is your debt to income ratio. So the bank will only let you borrow so much money, that may be $500K as a single mortgage or as 5 mortgages each for $100K.  I think there might be a max number of mortgages (something like 10).

  • Flipper/Rehabber · Charlotte, NC · Member since 2019 · 5 posts · 0 votes
    6y

    @Ben Sears which is better, HELOC or cash out refinance?

  • Flipper/Rehabber · Farmville, VA · Member since 2018 · 280 posts · 171 votes
    6y

    @Craig Huston I don' think it matters. I would go where you can get the best rate. A cash out refinance might give you plenty of money in the future without paying the interest on a HELOC.

  • Flipper/Rehabber · Charlotte, NC · Member since 2019 · 5 posts · 0 votes
    6y

    @Ben Sears Thanks!

  • Loan Officer / Processor / Life & Health Agent · Rancho Cucamonga, CA · Member since 2014 · 1k+ posts · 757 votes
    6y

    @Craig Huston

    If you plan on paying back the HELOC within 6 to 12 months then go that route.

    If you don't then go with the refinance.

    HELOCs are good for fix & flips and BRRRR

    If it's a buy and hold or will take longer than 12 months use cash out.

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.