How to get that first deal - TIPS for a beginning investor

How to get that first deal - TIPS for a beginning investor

Seattle, WA · Member since 2019 · 11 posts · 3 votes

Hey guys, 

I'm a new investor looking to get into SFH as rentals or as fix n flips, whichever exit strategy works best when the right deal comes along. Anyway, I feel like I'm at a roadblock in terms of getting my feet wet and obtaining that first property. After applying for a loan on a place, I was told I am $121 /month away in income to reach the DTI requirements that a conventional mortgage has. I even got a minor raise at work (which helps but am still short) and I am planning on moving in the next couple of months to bring my rent down about $200, also, I have $0 in other debts (student loans, consumer, etc.).

My question(s) to you guys is this:

1.) How can I increase my monthly income to meet that threshold? 

  • - I have considered getting another job, but with everything going on at work (Currently getting a certification) the free time I do have, I want to spend learning and building my RE business.

2.) What other forms of creative financing are available so if another great deal comes along I won't have to pass it up because I can't get funding for the deal? I am a creative person but being new to this world I can't seem to think of how to make this work.

Heres a little background on the deal I had to pass up:

  • Purchase Price: 349,900
  • Down Payment: 25% ($87,475)
  • Monthly Rent:‬ $3600 (pre expenses)

After expenses were all paid, I would have been cash flowing around $900 per month. So needless to say, I am biting myself for this one. At the end of the day, however, it has got me eager to learn more about this wonderful world of REI and how I can make something work. Any advice on creative financing, and how to increase my monthly income would be much appreciated!

    0Reply
    19 views

    2 Replies

    Jump to latestLatest
    • Brenden MitchumBusiness Member
      Rental Property Investor · Atlanta, GA · Member since 2019 · 1k+ posts · 872 votes
      6y

      Hey @Jack Gause!

      So since DTI is a back end ratio, it does not solely take into account income and mortgage payment (that would be front end). It also takes into account all of your other debts. Do you currently pay rent? Do you have a car payment or student loans? These are debts that the lender factors in. So if you can decrease any of these you can decrease your DTI. Other than that your only option is to increase your income through methods that you have already mentioned.

      Now, if you are still not able to increase your DTI, you will have to get creative. I believe some lenders will look at rental income on MF properties. Check with your lender on that. Another option is to find a cosigner, which will dramatically increase the income factor in that DTI (but make sure they do not have a ton of debt or that won't help you).

      If none of that works, you'll have to get super creative and step outside the realm of "traditional financing." Could you have found a partner for that deal? If you are networking a ton, you should have or soon have a list of people that you might be able to partner with on a fantastic deal. It does not sound like this deal had much forced appreciation potential but if you find a deal that does you could go the hard money and sell or refinance route. Would the seller of that property have considered carrying the note on all or part of the purchase price? The key here is to have options so that when a deal comes along you do not lose it because you only had one tool in your tool belt and that tool turned out to be the wrong one for the job.

      Hope that helped a bit! Please, feel free to message me anytime if you have other questions or just want to chat!

      Oh and a quick tip - add a picture to your profile! You'll get more replies.

    • Seattle, WA · Member since 2019 · 11 posts · 3 votes
      6y

      Hi Brenden, 

      Thanks for the feedback! The only "debt" I have at the moment is my rent. Looking at finding a cheaper property to pay cash for so I can get my experience that way. It seems to be that the first deal is the hardest to find but after that, it's much easier. A little discouraging for sure, but not enough to keep me away! 

      I appreciate your insight and will definitely upload a picture, thanks!

    Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.