Housing hack advice for a newbie

Housing hack advice for a newbie

Boca Raton, FL · Member since 2020 · 11 posts · 8 votes

Hi everyone,

Thank you for taking the time to read this, any response will be greatly appreciated!

I'm an ultra newbie to real estate investing, or any kind of investing for that matter. I'm at the point in my life where purchasing a home is the next step I want to take but I really want to look at this as an investment opportunity over anything else.

I recently came across the term "housing hack" and am super interested in learning more. When I decided a home purchase was my next goal, I always envisioned a single family home where I could settle down for the time being but I've had a bit of a shift in mindset. I really would love to be able to find a duplex or some other type of set up where I could live in part of the home and rent out the other portion. My hope would be to highly offset my cost of living so I could put more money aside for a future investment.

I'm located in florida, I was saving/planning for the lowest possible down payment and getting first time homebuyer assistance for closing costs. My broker mentioned to me I would need 15% down for a duplex, this is not realistic for me at this point. Does anyone have any tips, tricks or hacks for making this work? Or would you suggest I continue to rent and save and wait it out?

Thank you so much again!

4Reply
50 views

Most Popular Reply

Shawn McenteerBusiness Member
Realtor · Boonton Township, NJ · Member since 2013 · 2k+ posts · 1k+ votes
6y

@Giulia Mylla  15% down is not necessary for owner occupied purchase.  You can go as low as 3.5% down, this included multifamily property or single family.  My suggestion would be find an investor friendly realtor in your area that has more investment knowledge and lender recommendations. 

House Hacking New Jersey563 Reviews
See this reply in the discussion

29 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Real Estate Agent · Rapid City, SD · Member since 2019 · 43 posts · 11 votes
    6y

    @Giulia Mylla check out trailer houses. Many are owner financed and cheap. There might be a play there for little to know money. I tell my clients to use as little money as possible at first so they can scale.

  • Boca Raton, FL · Member since 2020 · 11 posts · 8 votes
    6y

    @Scott Henrikson Good Morning! Do you mind if I reach out to you directly on this? I have so many questions.

  • Real Estate Agent · Rapid City, SD · Member since 2019 · 43 posts · 11 votes
    6y

    @Giulia Mylla you bet

  • Investor · Bethlehem, PA · Member since 2015 · 21 posts · 1 vote
    6y

    Giulia I purchased my first 2 unit as a house hack in 2017 in Bethlehem, PA. I had the option to put 5% down with my lender but chose to do 20% so the numbers would work better as others have said in this post after I moved out and decided to rent out both apartments down the road. I would highly recommend the house hack approach!

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.