First Rental Deal- is Partnership the best option?

First Rental Deal- is Partnership the best option?

Member since 2019 · 11 posts · 0 votes

I am an aspiring real estate investor in the Chicagoland area. I just finished all the renovations on my current home that I bought in August 2019. I am looking to buy another long term rental within the next couple months, and my plan is to have an investor come in and provide 75% of the down payment and closing costs (we will be putting 25% down on the property). I will get tenants in place and manage the property myself, splitting the equity/cash flow 50/50 between myself and my investor. The property will cash flow enough for them to make passive income on their investment until I can either refinance or buy them out of their position. 

Renovations on the properties I have looked at will be minimal, and I will have reserves going into the deal. I have already gotten preapproval from a lender with no seasoning requirements. From the numbers I have run on the deal, if i can get the right purchase price this seems to work well for both parties. My partner will get passive income every month and will be paid their principle once I am able to refinance, and I will gain experience of property management and receive 50% of cash flow each month. My plan is to have my investor's money back in less than 5 years. 

Does anyone have any experience structuring a deal this way? Any suggestions or critiques would be greatly appreciated!

0Reply
21 views

2 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Investor · Tucson, AZ · Member since 2017 · 208 posts · 235 votes
    6y

    We frequently do partnerships like this. In my opinion buying the new property in an LLC is the best option and use a JV agreement with your partner to outline everything (who pays what, who manages, how distributions are handled, how to handle disposition of the property, etc). Some lenders don't want to allow an LLC to be the buyer so we also will deed the property into the LLC (using a warranty deed) after the transaction is funded.

  • Member since 2019 · 11 posts · 0 votes
    6y

    Thanks for the reply Andrew! I will definitely be in contact with my lender to see if that is an option. 

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.