question on taxes, depreciation, and positive cash flow

question on taxes, depreciation, and positive cash flow

Member since 2020 · 1 post · 0 votes

Hi, I'm new to this, we're looking at getting our 1st rental, one of the questions I keep trying to find an answer to but am having no luck is about taxes. I know you can depreciate your rental over 27.5 years, but everything I read says that any positive cash flow you have over the depreciation is what's taxable. I understand that part, but what I don't get is what is considered positive cash flow? I know what positive cash flow means but is that pre or post paying the mortgage? I only ask because that's a big difference. I mean with a $150K home, that means I can only make just about $5,000 w/o being taxed in a year. If that's pre mortgage there is just no way.

0Reply
10 views

1 Reply

Jump to latestLatest
  • Flipper/Rehabber · Leominster, MA · Member since 2020 · 667 posts · 384 votes
    6y

    Steven, check out:  Michael Lantrip's books on Amazon, his books are super informative and incredibly simple to read.  In general you will be taxed on income earned on the rental and you can deduct interest paid on the mortgage.  If this post is helpful, I would appreciate a vote.

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.