Recommended RE/REI books for a newbie?

Most Popular Reply

Specialist · FL · Member since 2018 · 18 posts · 19 votes
6y

Hey Jacqueline,

I actually just finished a reply on the same topic. Here is the copy/paste. I hope you like it. 

I started off reading "the book on investing in real estate with no money down" by Brandon Turner. That covers pretty much all the real estate niches. This is my absolute "must-read".

If you like flipping then J Scott has 2 cool books. "The book on flipping houses" and "the book on estimating rehab costs"

For rental properties "the book on rental property investing" This is also from BiggerPockets publishing.

I am currently reading a booking on wholesaling by Todd Fleming "if you cant wholesale after this I've got nothing for you" So far it's a good read.

A good mind book is by Hal Elrod "the miracle morning".

Lastly, "the ABC's of real estate investing" by Ken McElrod. He walks you step by step on a commercial deal but a lot can be applied to residential.

That's one book I am reading now and a few good ones that have made a difference to me.

See this reply in the discussion

5 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Specialist · FL · Member since 2018 · 18 posts · 19 votes
    6y

    Hey Jacqueline,

    I actually just finished a reply on the same topic. Here is the copy/paste. I hope you like it. 

    I started off reading "the book on investing in real estate with no money down" by Brandon Turner. That covers pretty much all the real estate niches. This is my absolute "must-read".

    If you like flipping then J Scott has 2 cool books. "The book on flipping houses" and "the book on estimating rehab costs"

    For rental properties "the book on rental property investing" This is also from BiggerPockets publishing.

    I am currently reading a booking on wholesaling by Todd Fleming "if you cant wholesale after this I've got nothing for you" So far it's a good read.

    A good mind book is by Hal Elrod "the miracle morning".

    Lastly, "the ABC's of real estate investing" by Ken McElrod. He walks you step by step on a commercial deal but a lot can be applied to residential.

    That's one book I am reading now and a few good ones that have made a difference to me.

  • Member since 2020 · 2 posts · 2 votes
    6y

    Thanks so much!

  • Specialist · FL · Member since 2018 · 18 posts · 19 votes
    6y

    @Jacqueline Spear-Cerda

    Absolutely :)

  • Rental Property Investor · Sterling, VA · Member since 2017 · 13 posts · 15 votes
    6y

    Hey @Jacqueline Spear-Cerda,

    I hope this message finds you well. This is a question that’s been asked numerous times on this platform.

    The last time I encountered a similar thread, I copied the list of books recommended and I wish I had also copied the names of the responders. I don’t take credit for composing the list, but I’ve added a few of my own: 

    Here is the list (No relevant order):

    • Best Ever Apartment Syndication - Joe Fairless
    • Traction - Gino Wickman
    • Extreme Ownership- Jocko Willink
    • Advanced Tax Strategies - Amanda Han and Matthew MacFarland
    • So Good They Can’t Ignore You - Cal Newport
    • 10X Rule - Grant Cardone
    • Raising Private Capital - Matt Faircloth
    • Vivid Vision - Cameron Herold
    • The 4 Hour Work Week- Tim Ferris
    • The Miracle Morning/The Miracle Equation - Hal Elrod
    • The Hands-Off Investor - Brian Burke
    • Rich Dad Poor Dad/Cashflow Quadrant - Robert Kiyosaki
    • Never Split The Difference - Chris Voss
    • Crushing it in Apartments and Commercial Real Estate - Brian Murray
    • Multi-Family Millions - David Lindahl
    • Wealth Can’t Wait - David Osborne
    • Miracle Morning Millionaires - David Osborne
    • Retire Early with Real Estate - Chad Carson
    • It’s a Whole New Business - Gene Trowbridge 
    • Raising Capital for Real Estate - Hunter Thompson
    • How to Legally Raise Private Money - Kim Lisa Taylor

    ....

    This is a wonderful list that I’m sure will increase your knowledge and advance your journey.

    Much success and good luck on your REI journey!

    Lee Johnson | Value Investment Partners 

  • Greg MoranPro Member
    Investor · Washington, DC · Member since 2017 · 136 posts · 59 votes
    6y

    Depending on the type of investing you have planned, or the type of motivation/education desired, I recommend the following:

    For help with overall motivations and mindset:

    • "Beginners Guide to Real Estate Investing" (free eBook) by Brandon Turner
    • Richest Man in Babylon by George Samuel Clayson
    • Rich Dad Poor Dad by Robert Kiyosaki
    • Getting Things Done: A Guide to Stress-free Productivity by Daivd Allen -- It's not a real estate book but it will help when it comes to getting and staying organized.
    • The 4-Hour Workweek: Escape 9-5, Live Anywhere, and Join the New Rich By Tim Ferris

    For help with Property Management:

    • Landlord-ing on Autopilot by Mike Butler

    For help with Raising Funds:

    • Raising Private Capital: Building your Real Estate Empire Using Other People's Money by Matt Faircloth
Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.