Best way to access equity to grow a portfolio.

Best way to access equity to grow a portfolio.

Investor · Springfield, VA · Member since 2020 · 24 posts · 17 votes

Hi All:

As I begin my journey and explore some of the different ways to raise capital for an initial deal, I have run into an interesting question that I would like some advice on from folks that I know are more experienced than me.

I live in northern Virginia, and have a home I have owned for about 5 years.  It is not a forever home; while we do live in it, it is purely as a result of my military assignment here; once I get re-assigned, if I were to keep it, I would look at it as an investment.  Between appreciation and loan payoff, I have what I estimate to be about $90K in equity built up in the property (based on home sales I am seeing in my immediate area).

When I look at renting it out, it looks like will not, or maybe just barely, cash flow:  I can probably rent for $2500 - 2600/month, and mortgage payment is just under $2300/month.  After I figure in maintenance and a PM, that delta is gone.  I AM exploring an offer to re-fi at a lower rate, which could drop the mortgage about $250-300/month.

Now the crux of the question: if I want to get at the equity of the home to use for a down-payment on another investment property, I know there are basically three options: HELOC, cash-out re-fi, or sell. I am currently in a VA loan, so the cash-out re-fi does not look promising given the strict rules for the VA loans regarding accessing equity. If the property doesn't cash flow, would it be better to sell and role those tax-free profits into other properties, perhaps in another market with a lower barrier to entry? Or, given the high property values in the market I''m in, is it better to hold onto the property and rent it out, even if it costs me a bit out of pocket, to continue to gain that appreciation and the knowledge of having that first investment property? Perhaps couple that later option with a re-fi to a lower interest rate (I am at 3.25% now), increase the chances of cash flow, and then maybe use a HELOC?

Sorry this was a bit long-winded.  I look forward to any thoughts you all are willing to provide.

0Reply
44 views

Most Popular Reply

Rental Property Investor · East Wenatchee, WA · Member since 2014 · 10k+ posts · 16k+ votes
6y
Originally posted by @Brad Fisher:

Hi All:

As I begin my journey and explore some of the different ways to raise capital for an initial deal, I have run into an interesting question that I would like some advice on from folks that I know are more experienced than me.

I live in northern Virginia, and have a home I have owned for about 5 years.  It is not a forever home; while we do live in it, it is purely as a result of my military assignment here; once I get re-assigned, if I were to keep it, I would look at it as an investment.  Between appreciation and loan payoff, I have what I estimate to be about $90K in equity built up in the property (based on home sales I am seeing in my immediate area).

When I look at renting it out, it looks like will not, or maybe just barely, cash flow:  I can probably rent for $2500 - 2600/month, and mortgage payment is just under $2300/month.  After I figure in maintenance and a PM, that delta is gone.  I AM exploring an offer to re-fi at a lower rate, which could drop the mortgage about $250-300/month.

Now the crux of the question: if I want to get at the equity of the home to use for a down-payment on another investment property, I know there are basically three options: HELOC, cash-out re-fi, or sell. I am currently in a VA loan, so the cash-out re-fi does not look promising given the strict rules for the VA loans regarding accessing equity. If the property doesn't cash flow, would it be better to sell and role those tax-free profits into other properties, perhaps in another market with a lower barrier to entry? Or, given the high property values in the market I''m in, is it better to hold onto the property and rent it out, even if it costs me a bit out of pocket, to continue to gain that appreciation and the knowledge of having that first investment property? Perhaps couple that later option with a re-fi to a lower interest rate (I am at 3.25% now), increase the chances of cash flow, and then maybe use a HELOC?

Sorry this was a bit long-winded.  I look forward to any thoughts you all are willing to provide.

Sell. Tax-free gain.  Long-distance landlording of an accidental rental? No way.  

Welcome to BP and thank you for your service👍 

See this reply in the discussion

10 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Joe VilleneuvePro Member
    Plymouth, MI · Member since 2013 · 13k+ posts · 19k+ votes
    6y

    Sell.  Any of the other options you mentioned costs you more than any perceived returns you "might" get.

  • Real Estate Agent · Reston, VA · Member since 2017 · 295 posts · 163 votes
    6y

    @Brad Fisher you did not say your location in Northern Virginia. That would be helpful. I am also guessing based on your monthly mortgage this property is under 500K. What you are describing is very typical in this area but I am guessing 5 years or more down your cash flow would improve. My educated guess(with no numbers to back me up) is that this will be a good hold. Here are my reasons. 1.The play for your property is appreciation(risky -yes) but our area has yielded solid returns over long term. 2.  Demand :The size of this property; great demand and easily rented. 3. Cash flow is going to improve over time. 4. Selling costs. 

  • Rental Property Investor · East Wenatchee, WA · Member since 2014 · 10k+ posts · 16k+ votes
    6y
    Originally posted by @Brad Fisher:

    Hi All:

    As I begin my journey and explore some of the different ways to raise capital for an initial deal, I have run into an interesting question that I would like some advice on from folks that I know are more experienced than me.

    I live in northern Virginia, and have a home I have owned for about 5 years.  It is not a forever home; while we do live in it, it is purely as a result of my military assignment here; once I get re-assigned, if I were to keep it, I would look at it as an investment.  Between appreciation and loan payoff, I have what I estimate to be about $90K in equity built up in the property (based on home sales I am seeing in my immediate area).

    When I look at renting it out, it looks like will not, or maybe just barely, cash flow:  I can probably rent for $2500 - 2600/month, and mortgage payment is just under $2300/month.  After I figure in maintenance and a PM, that delta is gone.  I AM exploring an offer to re-fi at a lower rate, which could drop the mortgage about $250-300/month.

    Now the crux of the question: if I want to get at the equity of the home to use for a down-payment on another investment property, I know there are basically three options: HELOC, cash-out re-fi, or sell. I am currently in a VA loan, so the cash-out re-fi does not look promising given the strict rules for the VA loans regarding accessing equity. If the property doesn't cash flow, would it be better to sell and role those tax-free profits into other properties, perhaps in another market with a lower barrier to entry? Or, given the high property values in the market I''m in, is it better to hold onto the property and rent it out, even if it costs me a bit out of pocket, to continue to gain that appreciation and the knowledge of having that first investment property? Perhaps couple that later option with a re-fi to a lower interest rate (I am at 3.25% now), increase the chances of cash flow, and then maybe use a HELOC?

    Sorry this was a bit long-winded.  I look forward to any thoughts you all are willing to provide.

    Sell. Tax-free gain.  Long-distance landlording of an accidental rental? No way.  

    Welcome to BP and thank you for your service👍 

  • Real Estate Agent · Vienna, VA · Member since 2016 · 289 posts · 253 votes
    6y

    Hi @Brad Fisher,

    If you are reassigned to a different place where you can find cash flowing properties, I’d sell. Use your tax free gains to invest in the new place and forget about managing a long distance solo rental. 

    In the meantime, if your living situation allows, I’d rent out rooms to increase your savings rate and build up a nice chunk of change to invest wherever you go next. 

  • Investor · Springfield, VA · Member since 2020 · 24 posts · 17 votes
    6y

    @David Fernandez thanks for the advise, but I am likely to be assigned overseas next, so using a property manager will be necessary regardless. However, I don’t consider that much different that anyone else who invests out of state.

  • Investor · Springfield, VA · Member since 2020 · 24 posts · 17 votes
    6y

    @David Fernandez Sorry, forgot to mention you logic was the same thing I was thinking. I could role the profit from the sale right into something in a more affordable market. Thanks for your input!

  • Investor · Springfield, VA · Member since 2020 · 24 posts · 17 votes
    6y

    @Ika Sargeant. I live in Springfield and yes, mortgage is under 500K.

    Could you elaborate on how cash flow would improve over time? I understand rents will go up, but so will taxes. Maybe I missed something.

  • Rental Property Investor · Los Angeles, CA · Member since 2013 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    6y

    @Brad Fisher I agree with @Steve Vaughan. Accidental long distance land-lording is a bad idea. In addition as Joe mentioned above there is not enough cash-flow from your existing property to support a cash-out refi or Heloc. I don’t think it’s wise to do a cash-out refi or a Heloc backed by your current property unless that property can support it just in case the next deal is a dud and your situation worsens. IMO it’s *not always a bad idea* to hold a property that is breaking even for an appreciation play but if you are trying to kickstart an investment portfolio that is the worst time to employ such a strategy. After you have solid cash-flow from multiple investments you can afford to invest for appreciation on a property that breaks even. Along with the above and the fact that you can take advantage of the 121 capital gains exclusion, it’s best to sell imo.

  • Investor · Round Rock, TX · Member since 2010 · 8k+ posts · 4k+ votes
    6y

    The best way to locate equity that you seek is to advertise for it.  Design a program where you can use the equity, hold for a while to season things, and then refinance out of the project's original capital structure and return the capital plus some return you need to attract the capital.  Rinse, repeat.

    Research Reg. D, Rule 506(c), developing personas to identify the type of investor you seek, and online advertising techniques.  Learn to speak with investors on the phone and convince them you know what you're doing on your projects.  Learn the securities laws.  

  • Real Estate Agent · Reston, VA · Member since 2017 · 295 posts · 163 votes
    6y

    @Brad Fisher yes the rent will go up. Springfield has access to metro, so its rental demand will hold up. I know Fairfax county taxes will go up but not at the same rate as your rentals. I do agree that your cash flow will be tough especially if you add management but for me its a hold because if I consider your selling  of your current property and buying costs of the new one, then the advantage of the new market with less taxes diminishes. Your biggest play in this area is still going to be appreciation. 

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.