Looking for Advice on Starting with 2 Young Kids in Denver

Looking for Advice on Starting with 2 Young Kids in Denver

Developer · Philadelphia, PA · Member since 2012 · 33 posts · 14 votes

Good morning!

I’m looking to get started in real estate investment. My initial idea was to buy a small multifamily, renovate the units, then sell it in Denver.

I have 2 young kids (2 under 2) and a full-time job as a commercial multifamily analyst. House hacking is out, and I don’t have the time to add the job of property manager.

I’m planning on relocating with my family to Philadelphia in 2023 as well.

Any advice?

1Reply
21 views

Most Popular Reply

Realtor · Boulder, CO · Member since 2016 · 3k+ posts · 5k+ votes
6y

Sounds like a solid plan! I've implemented a similar value add strategy with small multifamily here in Denver (except refinanced and held instead of selling) with a few quads, a triplex and an 8-plex. I also have several clients executing apartment flips at the moment. It's a beautiful strategy here, but the hardest part is just finding small multifamily buildings for sale. Occasionally a decent deal pops up on the MLS/Loopnet, but most are traded off-market/pre-market. I do quite a bit of prospecting and networking with commercial agents to source deals, and find that to be the most important piece of the puzzle. Once you buy a few buildings, the deals end up finding you which is helpful.

I also have kids: 3 boys aged 1,2, and 4. I have some advice for you there as well: practice safe sex my friend! The third one is a doozy. But hey, at least providing for our kids keeps helps keep us motivated!   

See this reply in the discussion

5 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Denver, CO · Member since 2016 · 50 posts · 25 votes
    6y

    @Patrick Ryan

    Find a beat up SFH in a solid area that you can fix up and live in until 2023. Use a low down payment option to get in like FHA or 5% conventional. You can also tap the equity to buy more deals after a few years or sell for tax free capital gains.

  • Rental Property Investor · Cedar Falls, IA · Member since 2019 · 8 posts · 4 votes
    6y

    @Patrick Ryan

    Investing passively into a syndication is a great way to get started. That’s what I’m currently doing with a property in Arizona. Great way to learn about the business when just starting out, but still being able to invest. With two kids, investing passively might be a good way to get your foot in the door without having to deal with all the work.

  • Realtor · Denver, CO · Member since 2013 · 2k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    6y

    Buy a house, live in it a year, turn it into a rental, and buy another. I've got a ton of people doing this. One of my oldest clients is on their 15th home this way, and he's my age. 

  • Roni E.Pro Member
    Specialist · Earth 2.0 · Member since 2019 · 598 posts · 271 votes
    6y

    Hello, as you are analyst aka excel guru, lol. I would look at buying a Class B 4 plex move the family into one of the units and other 3 pay for the mortgage, costs and bit of cash flow. Then in Y3(year going to PA) sell to an investor. As always triple check the numbers. The other options is a syndication. 

    Originally posted by @Patrick Ryan:

    Good morning!

    I’m looking to get started in real estate investment. My initial idea was to buy a small multifamily, renovate the units, then sell it in Denver.

    I have 2 young kids (2 under 2) and a full-time job as a commercial multifamily analyst. House hacking is out, and I don’t have the time to add the job of property manager.

    I’m planning on relocating with my family to Philadelphia in 2023 as well.

    Any advice?

  • Realtor · Boulder, CO · Member since 2016 · 3k+ posts · 5k+ votes
    6y

    Sounds like a solid plan! I've implemented a similar value add strategy with small multifamily here in Denver (except refinanced and held instead of selling) with a few quads, a triplex and an 8-plex. I also have several clients executing apartment flips at the moment. It's a beautiful strategy here, but the hardest part is just finding small multifamily buildings for sale. Occasionally a decent deal pops up on the MLS/Loopnet, but most are traded off-market/pre-market. I do quite a bit of prospecting and networking with commercial agents to source deals, and find that to be the most important piece of the puzzle. Once you buy a few buildings, the deals end up finding you which is helpful.

    I also have kids: 3 boys aged 1,2, and 4. I have some advice for you there as well: practice safe sex my friend! The third one is a doozy. But hey, at least providing for our kids keeps helps keep us motivated!   

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.