Is Five Percent Down To Big of An Ask?

Is Five Percent Down To Big of An Ask?

Rental Property Investor · Nashville, TN · Member since 2020 · 15 posts · 3 votes

Am I out of my mind thinking I can find a loan product with five percent down right now? First time buyer looking at single family homes between the $75,00 and $115,000. I've talked to a handful of loan officers and at this time the lowest down option I've found is fifteen percent. 

0Reply
23 views

Most Popular Reply

Rockaway, NJ · Member since 2016 · 2k+ posts · 2k+ votes
6y
Originally posted by @Mat Poole:

Am I out of my mind thinking I can find a loan product with five percent down right now? First time buyer looking at single family homes between the $75,00 and $115,000. I've talked to a handful of loan officers and at this time the lowest down option I've found is fifteen percent. 


If you are looking for an owner occupied property, I don't think youre crazy. Maybe you should make sure your loan officer knows this. If youre looking for an investment property, you're crazy for expecting 5% down as a first time buyer.
See this reply in the discussion

5 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Rockaway, NJ · Member since 2016 · 2k+ posts · 2k+ votes
    6y
    Originally posted by @Mat Poole:

    Am I out of my mind thinking I can find a loan product with five percent down right now? First time buyer looking at single family homes between the $75,00 and $115,000. I've talked to a handful of loan officers and at this time the lowest down option I've found is fifteen percent. 


    If you are looking for an owner occupied property, I don't think youre crazy. Maybe you should make sure your loan officer knows this. If youre looking for an investment property, you're crazy for expecting 5% down as a first time buyer.
  • Theresa HarrisPro Member
    Member since 2019 · 15k+ posts · 11k+ votes
    6y

    @Mat Poole  For most rentals you will need 20% down unless you are going to be living in part of the home.

  • Rental Property Investor · Nashville, TN · Member since 2020 · 15 posts · 3 votes
    6y

    To clarify, and this might be where I get called crazy, I am looking at purchasing this strictly as an investment property. I already have a primary residence. I've found as low as 15 percent thus far.

  • Rental Property Investor · Cleveland, OH · Member since 2018 · 61 posts · 27 votes
    6y

    @Mat Poole 15% on an investment is a good find, esp right now.

    You won’t see 5% unless you’re moving in my man...

  • Lender · San Antonio, TX · Member since 2016 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    6y

    Is this short term hard money or long-term debt? If it is long-term, you wouldn't have found better than 15% pre-covid, even if you had experience, so you should jump on that. 

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.