What should I look for in a real estate mentor?

What should I look for in a real estate mentor?

Real Estate Agent · Philadelphia, PA · Member since 2020 · 9 posts · 3 votes

I’m currently seeking mentorship when it comes to real estate investing. Any idea of what I should be looking for in a mentor?

0Reply
31 views

Most Popular Reply

Cameron TopePro Member
Property Manager · Katy, TX · Member since 2015 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
6y

Sianni,

I agree with @Cody Barna - your mentor should be doing what you want to be doing. 

The best mentor I had didn't make the majority of his income from coaching, but rather buying real estate. To me it's important that the mentor is still making the majority of his/her income from real estate, rather than coaching. 

You want a RE professional that mentors, not a professional mentor that does real estate. 

See this reply in the discussion

11 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Real Estate Agent · Member since 2019 · 285 posts · 149 votes
    6y

    @Sianni Pineiro In my opinion the biggest consideration when looking for a mentor is finding someone who meshes well with your personality, considering you'll be spending a lot of time with this individual. The second thing I would look for is a track record, especially if you are paying for a mentor. In some situations you may have to make sacrifices in order to find a mentor that's willing to take time out of their day to teach you the ropes. I hope this helps, good luck with everything!

  • Cameron TopePro Member
    Property Manager · Katy, TX · Member since 2015 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    6y

    Sianni,

    I agree with @Cody Barna - your mentor should be doing what you want to be doing. 

    The best mentor I had didn't make the majority of his income from coaching, but rather buying real estate. To me it's important that the mentor is still making the majority of his/her income from real estate, rather than coaching. 

    You want a RE professional that mentors, not a professional mentor that does real estate. 

  • Real Estate Agent · Philadelphia, PA · Member since 2020 · 9 posts · 3 votes
    6y

    @Cody Barna I found this very helpful! Thank you!

  • Real Estate Agent · Philadelphia, PA · Member since 2020 · 9 posts · 3 votes
    6y

    @Cameron Tope

    Very true! That’s one thing I always found essential when looking for a mentor. Someone who not only has seniority, but someone who knew what they were doing and actually gained profit. Thank you!

  • Real Estate Agent · Member since 2019 · 285 posts · 149 votes
    6y

    @Sianni Pineiro No worries, good luck with everything!

  • Rental Property Investor · CA · Member since 2019 · 84 posts · 50 votes
    6y

    The best mentor would be someone doing the method of investing you plan on doing. Even if they've only done a handful of deals, that would be a great start. Honestly the #1 way would be just doing. I'd learn and soak in knowledge for a good 4-6 months and hop in slowly. That would be best way. Posssibly partner with someone as well! 

  • Member since 2020 · 87 posts · 35 votes
    6y

    Are yuo willing to pay for a mentor's time? Someone I know of, but have never meet, Ionly know from one radio recorded interview, on she does Rentals inWash. state, as the book-keeper of them with her husband does much of the physical aspects of them; her name is Michele Fischer. And she has posted a comment on another thread on this forum, on this Aug, 4th, 2020, which seems pretty level-headed, to a woman thinking of buying a duplex, and then live in one side of the duplex.

  • Scott KronePro Member
    Investor · Northbrook, IL · Member since 2017 · 352 posts · 295 votes
    6y

    @Sianni Pineiro A mentor is a great thing.  When I was in architectural school, I sought the professors who where actually active in the architectural profession versus full time academics.  My first mentor was my professor with whom I also worked for as a developer.  At that stage of my career, I needed a mentor who showed me/taught me the profession.  It is a common phase in architecture known as an apprentice.  

    After I started my own firm, I realized I needed a mentor who could guide me in business (generally versus real estate specific).  A completely different mindset that allowed me to expand how I analyzed my business.  I agree with @Cody Barna, in both cases my mentors where successful in their business and did not rely upon "coaching" income.

  • Real Estate Agent · Philadelphia, PA · Member since 2020 · 9 posts · 3 votes
    6y

    @Scott Krone I’m glad to hear that you had a successful experience with mentors! Thank you for sharing this and for your insight!

  • Real Estate Agent · Philadelphia, PA · Member since 2020 · 9 posts · 3 votes
    6y

    @Mel Anic Thank you so much for the knowledge!

  • Real Estate Agent · Philadelphia, PA · Member since 2020 · 9 posts · 3 votes
    6y

    @Cody Barna Thanks, you as well!

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.