Canadians Starting to Invest in the US? Let's Talk!

Canadians Starting to Invest in the US? Let's Talk!

Rental Property Investor · Toronto, Ontario · Member since 2011 · 7 posts · 0 votes

Hey Fellow Canadians - I'm in the Toronto area and have invested (primarily Hamilton, ON) for a number of years (buy/hold, plus a few others strategies). I plan on buying in the US (for the 1st time) in the next month or 2. Like many of you, I've been consuming a ton of reading material and videos, however, we all know that reading/watching information in an article, book or video is NOT the same as talking to like-minded investors going through the same planning process. If anyone is in a similar to me (ie getting close to taking action or  have recently done so with US prop #1), I would love to connect via a recurring weekly call.  The objective would be to share ideas, challenges, network and discuss lessons learned. Please send me a note if interested and I'll send out an invitation for next week.  Happy Investing!

0Reply
27 views

Most Popular Reply

Real Estate Broker · Cleveland Dayton Cincinnati Toledo Columbus & Akron, OH · Member since 2013 · 30k+ posts · 20k+ votes
6y
Originally posted by @Tuan Nam Nguyen:

Hi
@David Leggett Thank you, I will definitely contact you for more information refarding Cleveland!

 Saw you fellas were chatting Cleveland. If you guys are looking there you'll want to check out The Ultimate Guide to Grading Cleveland Neighborhoods. Lots of risk level variance among the various neighborhoods in this part of the US.

See this reply in the discussion

13 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Elizabeth KamPro Member
    Toronto, Ontario · Member since 2017 · 7 posts · 4 votes
    6y

    Hi Ron, 

    I’m from Toronto too. Back in 2011, I bought a condo in Sarasota, Florida so I do have one property in the US already. I really wish I had bought more back then since the Canadian was higher than the American dollar. I was thinking of buying another property just before the pandemic. 
    I had decided to put it on hold because I didn’t know what was going to happen with the market. But now I’m considering it again. 

    Message me directly if you have any questions and I’ll try my best to answer them.
    Liz 

  • Stephen FryerPro Member
    Investor · Ottawa ON / South Bend, IN · Member since 2013 · 186 posts · 93 votes
    6y

    Hey there @Ron Kumara 

    I live in Ottawa and have been investing in South Bend, IN, since 2016. Let me know if you have any questions and I would be happy to share. 

  • Specialist · Toronto, Ontario · Member since 2012 · 2k+ posts · 891 votes
    6y
    Originally posted by @Ron Kumara:

    Hey Fellow Canadians - I'm in the Toronto area and have invested (primarily Hamilton, ON) for a number of years (buy/hold, plus a few others strategies). I plan on buying in the US (for the 1st time) in the next month or 2. Like many of you, I've been consuming a ton of reading material and videos, however, we all know that reading/watching information in an article, book or video is NOT the same as talking to like-minded investors going through the same planning process. If anyone is in a similar to me (ie getting close to taking action or  have recently done so with US prop #1), I would love to connect via a recurring weekly call.  The objective would be to share ideas, challenges, network and discuss lessons learned. Please send me a note if interested and I'll send out an invitation for next week.  Happy Investing!

    USD has dropped considerably in the last few weeks so good time to do some exchanging

    One of the challenges definitely is crossing the boarder right now..

    My first 3 properties in the US I purchased was site unseen so its definitely doable with the proper due diligence and team. But before any of that you need to find markets based on your goals 

  • Rental Property Investor · Toronto, Ontario · Member since 2011 · 7 posts · 0 votes
    6y

    @Elizabeth Kam - Thanks for the comments Liz - I am a bit nervous of the current market environment, but am continuing to research and investigate deals.  However, if an opportunity comes up that 'feels right' and the numbers work, I hope to jump right in!

    @Stephen Fryer - Thank you Stephen, I do have a couple of questions that I'd like to bounce off of you.  Will message you directly.  

    @Hai Loc - Hai, yes, you've hit the nail right on its head! I need to get comfortable with 'remote investing' in a market that is consistent with my long term goals.  In the past, I've always been able to view/inspect a property prior to investing and throughout the whole investment/management/disposition cycle.  Being face to face with a strong service/support team was a fantastic recipe for me!  Now, in order to level up, I'll need to work on this aspect of investing.  

  • Specialist · Toronto, Ontario · Member since 2012 · 2k+ posts · 891 votes
    6y

    @Hai Loc - Hai, yes, you've hit the nail right on its head! I need to get comfortable with 'remote investing' in a market that is consistent with my long term goals.  In the past, I've always been able to view/inspect a property prior to investing and throughout the whole investment/management/disposition cycle.  Being face to face with a strong service/support team was a fantastic recipe for me!  Now, in order to level up, I'll need to work on this aspect of investing.  

     For most Toronto people like us we first like to look at the markets closest to us. So like Buffalo Detroit Cleveland.. Definitely great cash flow ratios in those markets..

  • Investor · Ottawa, Ontario · Member since 2014 · 47 posts · 17 votes
    6y

    @Ron Kumara Hi I hope all is well. I’m from Ottawa and I invest in the U.S my teams does about 15 to 20 million a year of new Contruction work in Philadelphia and would love to share with you what has worked for us. Looking forward to connecting with you. Cheers!

  • Rental Property Investor · Toronto, ON · Member since 2020 · 6 posts · 0 votes
    6y

    Hi, I’m a property investor from Vietnam, currently living in Toronto. I am also interested in investing in the US.

    Do you guys have any tips to buy, financing, rehab, property management?

  • Real Estate Broker · Cleveland, OH · Member since 2018 · 227 posts · 133 votes
    6y

    Canadians are the best!  I've been to Montreal several times and it's a beautiful city.  Cleveland is a great area to invest, especially if you live in Canada because it's very close to Toronto and it's good to be able to keep an eye on your investments and be able to be close enough if you ever have any emergencies.  If you're ever looking for an investment expert in the area, feel free to let me know.

    David Leggett, MBA

    Realtor / Investment Specialist / Acquisitions Manager

    IIP Management

  • Rental Property Investor · Toronto, ON · Member since 2020 · 6 posts · 0 votes
    6y

    Hi
    @David Leggett Thank you, I will definitely contact you for more information refarding Cleveland!

  • Real Estate Broker · Cleveland Dayton Cincinnati Toledo Columbus & Akron, OH · Member since 2013 · 30k+ posts · 20k+ votes
    6y
    Originally posted by @Tuan Nam Nguyen:

    Hi
    @David Leggett Thank you, I will definitely contact you for more information refarding Cleveland!

     Saw you fellas were chatting Cleveland. If you guys are looking there you'll want to check out The Ultimate Guide to Grading Cleveland Neighborhoods. Lots of risk level variance among the various neighborhoods in this part of the US.

  • Rental Property Investor · Toronto, ON · Member since 2020 · 6 posts · 0 votes
    6y
    Originally posted by @James Wise:
    Originally posted by @Tuan Nam Nguyen:

    Hi
    @David Leggett Thank you, I will definitely contact you for more information refarding Cleveland!

     Saw you fellas were chatting Cleveland. If you guys are looking there you'll want to check out The Ultimate Guide to Grading Cleveland Neighborhoods. Lots of risk level variance among the various neighborhoods in this part of the US.

    Thank James, will definitely read the guide.

  • Specialist · Toronto, Ontario · Member since 2012 · 2k+ posts · 891 votes
    6y
    ?Originally posted by @Tuan Nam Nguyen:

    Hi, I’m a property investor from Vietnam, currently living in Toronto. I am also interested in investing in the US.

    Do you guys have any tips to buy, financing, rehab, property management?

     You willing to purchase site unseen

  • Rental Property Investor · Toronto, ON · Member since 2020 · 6 posts · 0 votes
    6y

    Not at this stage of investing. I don’t know how to manage the risk. Thank you for reaching out!

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.