Quitting college and pursuing real estate 100%

Quitting college and pursuing real estate 100%

Real Estate Agent · Santa Clarita, CA · Member since 2020 · 42 posts · 9 votes

Hey Bigger Pockets! Throughout this “quarantine” period since April, I’ve been spending time at home with myself and my mind and that led me to finding out what I love to do, my weaknesses, and mental limitations. I’ve also been learning about real estate investing since the beginning of the year and have fallen in love with it. Since I have no connections and haven’t had a start other than saving for my first deal and writing down my goals, it’s been months full of trying to gain as much knowledge, which led me to be taking my state exam for my real estate license within the next month(with my goal working for or under an investor, even for free to learn as much as I can). I recently found my passion for real estate last year in November and have been learning ever since, but the problem with me is I’ve been going to college with a major I’m not even interested in. I’ve felt a weight on my shoulders and a sense of worry each week about being in something I don’t have a purpose in (college) and haven’t felt this sense of anxiousness and worry for awhile, but this month made me realize how much pursuing real estate for me really means and have been debating on “quitting” (which I honestly don’t have guilt for) college. I quoted quitting because throughout my college years, I’ve been bouncing back and forth between majors, not knowing what to do and not even interested in college, but was doing it to finish for my parents. My mind has shifted and while journaling every morning, that worry about school would always pop up as my “what’s bothering me” and why am I doing this without any purpose? My goals include real estate and not the major I’m in, so any suggestions on what I should do? I’m still living with my parents but was solely trying to finish college to try and make them “proud,” but am slowly realizing I’m only making myself less proud of myself for not being real and pushing myself to go for what I really want instead. Any advice? I know I’m young and have so much ahead of me and to learn, but I’m 100% in to finding my way through real estate. Any advice would help.

0Reply
18 views

1 Reply

Jump to latestLatest
  • Member since 2020 · 31 posts · 3 votes
    5y

    Hi Stacey!

    You are not alone in your struggle. The average college student changes their major 3x and takes longer than 4 years to graduate. 

    Perhaps you might consider a “tactical pause” from college to figure out your path. I certainly can’t speak for your parents’ wishes, but paying for a college degree that somebody will never use is definitely not a good investment. Explaining that you don’t wish to waste their money isn’t a bad way to start that conversation;) 

    Something to consider from a perfect stranger with some life experience... Just about anything else can seem tantalizing when you don’t enjoy what you’re doing. Who wouldn’t want to achieve wealth while being your own boss, right?! My point is, it may be hard to tease out whether your passion for real estate investing is real and true (and actually a good fit for you), or is functioning as an escape or fantasy that your mind has clung onto.

    Before you make any big decisions, just like with major real estate purchases, do your due diligence. Consider your own unique strengths, weaknesses, and goals and whether those are liable to help you or hurt you in any particular field. Talk to a career counselor and interview some of the amazing investors who inspire you. Do your homework! Lol 

    Hope that’s at least some friendly food for thought:) 



Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.