How to purchase blind/abroad

How to purchase blind/abroad

Rental Property Investor · Little Rock, AR · Member since 2014 · 26 posts · 14 votes

Hello everyone!

My name is Andre and I'm a novice real estate investor. I actually used advice from Bigger Pockets a few years ago to purchase my first rental property.

So here is my dilemma. I'm looking to step further into the water and purchase another investment property. I'm finishing up a 365 deployment currently and will be heading home soon. This whole deployment I've been listening to Bigger Pockets podcasts and while I prefer SFR's, I'm contemplating a duplex.

However, returning home from this deployment for me, actually means returning to Japan where I'm stationed. So what's the best route to go when purchasing a property in the states, while I won't be able to see it in person? I read a lot of discussions on here and naturally I need to find a solid real estate investor first. How do I find a good one and determine they are awesome when I can't talk to them in person?

Sorry for all the questions and those too come. I appreciate your guys/gals patience and help.

Andre T. Lewis

3Reply
67 views

Most Popular Reply

Rental Property Investor · Oregon City, OR · Member since 2020 · 324 posts · 780 votes
5y

@Andre Lewis

I'd recommend reaching out to @Zach Lemaster over at Rent to Retirement. They provide high quality turnkey rentals in markets with great returns.

I am a busy professional myself and wanted to get rentals under my belt with low risk. Zach is highly experienced and his team can get you started with properties that fit your criteria. 

See this reply in the discussion

28 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Member since 2020 · 105 posts · 35 votes
    5y

    @Andre Lewis

    There's a ton of useful stuff in this thread. You will likely also need to take some legal concern in to account. This is a pretty good article regarding the legal issues that come up when investing out of state (or country in your case).

    Best of luck!

  • Rental Property Investor · Oklahoma City, OK · Member since 2017 · 1k+ posts · 694 votes
    5y

    @Andre Lewis when it comes to building your team I'd look for a couple things. 

    • Find a team that is investing themselves. They don't need to have huge portfolios, but they should be "in the trenches" with you. 
    • I'd also look for people who have clients who can vouch for their integrity.
      Are the company/provider reviews genuine and heartfelt?
    • Are their clients willing to talk about the good and the bad experiences? It's real estate, so something has gone wrong. How did they handle it?

    I hope this helps! It seems like you got some solid advice. I imagine it can be overwhelming. We have some military clients who have invested in several markets. Our maintenance coordinator is also military and she invests from OOS. I'm not sure if they were deployed at the time they invested but I bet they'd be happy to connect with you! 

  • Rental Property Investor · Little Rock, AR · Member since 2014 · 26 posts · 14 votes
    5y

    Thank you everyone for the advice! I assure you I have learned something from each post. Hopefully one day I'll be able to contribute on this page in some form or fashion. If anyone is curious I'll be sure to post how the purchase of my second property went and all of the details upon completion. Best of wishes. 

     V/r

    Andre T. Lewis

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.