Beginner Hypothetical Walk-Through

Beginner Hypothetical Walk-Through

Member since 2020 · 1 post · 0 votes

Hi, everyone!

I'd like to use a real listing as an example walk-through to help me (an absolute beginner with no experience whatsoever) understand commercial real estate investing a little better.

We know a few important things right from the outset, just looking at the listing:

  • $5.5m list price
  • $371,094 NOI
  • 6.41% cap rate
  • Reliable, established tenants
  • Location is in Boise, ID, where real estate is exploding right now

I chose this property because it seems to priced well enough to consider, and it doesn't require any renovation or rehab. We can try to work through — step-by-step, in detail — what it would look like to buy and profit from this property. But first, here are a few preliminary questions I have to help me understand what we're dealing with and how this works:

Profitability
If the list price is $5.5m and the cap rate is 6.41%, does that mean the buyer stands to make $352,550 (6.41% of 5.5m)?

Financing
How big of a down payment is generally required for a purchase like this? Let's say the buyer has no capital but great credit, so would he have to get a second loan from somewhere else for that? (I've heard something about "private money"? No idea how this works.)
Are these types of loans generally 30-year? What is most common?

Expenses
If the NOI is $371,094 annually, what needs to be subtracted from this number in order to know what the buyer will actually put in their pocket? Mortgage? Maintenance?
What are ballpark typical numbers for these types of things? I have no experience with mortgages this high.

Management
Do people hire management companies for properties like? What kind of percentage would a management company charge for something like that? And what number does that percentage get taken out of?
Can the buyer make this entirely hands-off passive income if they outsource the management?

Selling
I'm jumping the gun a bit here, but let's say the buyer owns this property for 5 years or so, making over $300k per year just from renting it out. Why and when might that buyer begin thinking about selling this property? What would prompt that decision?
Is the main way the buyer of this property makes profit off the sale 5 years later from appreciation? (I don't really like the idea of rehabbing/renovating and flipping. Too complicated for me.)

I think that's enough to get us started. I know that's a lot of questions, but I'm sure there's a ton I've missed or oversimplified. Looking forward to working this with you all, and thanks so much in advance for your input/guidance!

    0Reply
    13 views

    2 Replies

    Jump to latestLatest
    • Boise, ID · Member since 2014 · 121 posts · 73 votes
      5y

      The cap rate is your projected rate of return.  Keep in mind that usually you don't include the mortgage debt expense into the cap rate.  Therefore, if you have a property at a 6.41% cap rate but are paying 5% interest, you are down to 1.41% (still may not be bad depending on your thoughts on using other's people's money).

      As far as down payment, lots of factors here but you would be hard pressed to find anything less than 10% via the SBA.  Most traditional lenders will want closer to 20% down.

      Term will range from 10 year to 25 typically.

      Lots more to cover but I would get your financing in line first with a commercial lender or via the SBA.  If you do buy this, I have a client looking for about 6,000 sq. ft. of warehouse space with a front end office in the Boise area.

    Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.