Tacoma, WA · Member since 2013 · 86 posts · 3 votes
Hello guys. Let me start off by saying that my wife and I have decided to get into the RE business! We currently live in Seattle, but we are dropping everything and moving to Wisconsin (Green Bay Area). If their is anybody out there that could give the wife and advice on the basics of running this successfully, do tell!
I have already read books and Internet forums about how to be a good landlord and what not. What we are looking for is information on the steps to buying our first duplex as an investment property.
Here is what he have pretty much . Getting a RE Agent, Securing a loan, and buying a property.
If anyone with RE experience cod shed some light on me, then I would appreciate it.
Tacoma, WA · Member since 2013 · 86 posts · 3 votes
13y
Originally posted by Ivan Roberts:
Hello guys. Let me start off by saying that my wife and I have decided to get into the RE business! We currently live in Seattle, but we are dropping everything and moving to Wisconsin (Green Bay Area). If their is anybody out there that could give the wife and I advice on the basics of running this successfully, do tell!
I have already read books and Internet forums about how to be a good landlord and what not. What we are looking for is information on the steps to buying our first duplex as an investment property.
Here is what he have pretty much . Getting a RE Agent, Securing a loan, and buying a property.
If anyone with RE experience could shed some light on me, then I would appreciate it.
Rental Property Investor · Milwaukee, WI · Member since 2013 · 6k+ posts · 4k+ votes
13y
Ivan Roberts welcome to Bigger Pockets! There are quite a number of people from Wisconsin on the boards. I have not spent a great deal of time in Green Bay, but I have owned property not too far from there. The Green Bay area is a nice area for those die-hard Packer fans that want to be near their favorite team!
Tacoma, WA · Member since 2013 · 86 posts · 3 votes
13y
Thanks @Dawn A.! (Im not sure if I tagged you correctly or not) I AM excited to move to the Green Bay Area and settle down with family so my daughter can be with her Grandma and Grandpa! I will keep my eye on investors in the Wisconsin area so I can get information on the laws and specifics of owning in Wisconsin.
Real Estate Investor · Grand rapids, MI · Member since 2013 · 96 posts · 10 votes
13y
My biggest tip would be to first to jump right on in. Then give thanks for what you have and find out what your want your life to look like. Then ask yourself why you want use REI, let that one sink in too. Really find out whats pushing you to get from A to B. Although Im very new to this game I totally understand there are a ton of ups and downs. During the down keep the motivating factor close because you will need it. Then continue on pushing and you will be successful. Check out this video from Eric Thomas http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3NQREuc7JX8
Investor · Appleton, WI · Member since 2012 · 1k+ posts · 464 votes
13y
Hi Ivan, Welcome to BP. I live in the fox cities which is just south of Green Bay. Feel free to contact me when you get into the state and I would be more than happy to help you with some local resources. Bigger pockets is a great place to start. Good luck and I hope to hear from you.
Tacoma, WA · Member since 2013 · 86 posts · 3 votes
13y
Thanks Cameron! I will watch the video and heed your advice. I do have a goal in mind, and that goal is to make enough passive income, eventually, so I don't have to commute from Milkwalkee to Green Bay when I do eventually move to Wisconsin.
And thanks Kyle! I followed you if that is okay with you. It won't be until October of 2014 until I move, so I have about a year and a half to prep a little bit, and buy my first duplex, Whether that's right now, or later. I will be sending you periodic questions also about Wisconsin laws and what not if that is okay with you?
Investor · Scottsdale, AZ · Member since 2008 · 281 posts · 113 votes
13y
Hey Ivan,
Bigger Pockets is a great place to start! Take time getting to know your local market, the local players, etc. before jumping in. Measure twice, cut once. Best of luck!