First purchase...Did I screw up?

First purchase...Did I screw up?

Member since 2020 · 41 posts · 56 votes

I found a small, fully remodeled duplex for $35k in a depressed area of South Carolina with good renters in place bringing in $900/mo in rent, but it had to be a cash deal because it was slightly over appraised price and I also could not find any lender willing to lend that small amount. It will bring in $10,800 in annual rent, but after all expenses (property tax, management, water, and insurance) it will net about $8000 annually. Am I going to get screwed on taxes because I don't have anything to write off (loan interest)? Was it wrong to pay cash for this? What should I have done different? I live in California, so am I going to have to pay South Carolina income tax as well as CA? Is there anything else I didn't think of?

45Reply
110 views

Most Popular Reply

Contractor · Jacksonville, FL · Member since 2017 · 1k+ posts · 2k+ votes
5y

@Craig Dieterich

Buy it, stop over analyzing.

See this reply in the discussion

80 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Anthony StamperPro Member
    Member since 2018 · 4 posts · 2 votes
    5y

    @Craig Dieterich

    You won, sir. You made your first deal which is more than most people that talk themselves out of it. AND YOU WON THE BONUS ROUND - it is cash flow positive PLUS you will reap the benefits of the depreciation on your taxes PLUS mortgage pay down by tenants PLUS any appreciation over the years you own. PLUS you know now enough to see a little further down your journey. Great job and so happy for you!

    I’m looking for my 4th deal currently in Lexington, KY and/or the Nashville, TN areas.

  • Flipper/Rehabber · Florida, MO · Member since 2020 · 7 posts · 1 vote
    5y

    @Anthony Stamper Hey Anthony, If you want to know more about the Nashville market let me know! I get multiple off market properties weekly for flippers and investors looking to buy and hold. I can also give you good insight on what areas are moving up as well as where my investments in Nashville are.  

  • Anthony StamperPro Member
    Member since 2018 · 4 posts · 2 votes
    5y

    Sweet!  When can we chat?

  • Investor · SC NC, VA · Member since 2020 · 1k+ posts · 756 votes
    5y

    @Craig Dieterich Make sure you file your South Carolina Assessable Transfer of Interest (ATI) with your county assessor.  It reduces your taxable assessment by 25% and can save you a lot of money.  It must be filed by January 31st to reduce your taxes in 2021.

  • Investor · Tulsa, OK · Member since 2016 · 10 posts · 6 votes
    4y

    Did you talk to a CPA as of yet?

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.