Wanting to build a quadplex in northern Virginia

Wanting to build a quadplex in northern Virginia

Member since 2020 · 2 posts · 0 votes

Hello! I'm a young real estate investor and I'm looking into building a quadplex as my first investment. I've done hours of research to find properties such as a quadplex, duplex, or triplex. There are none in my area of northern Virginia. I would like to build a quadplex. What are the more important things I need to do to see this dream become real? Of course, I need to contact a contractor and architect. But what are important numbers to run, etc. Anything helps.

Thank you! 

0Reply
26 views

Most Popular Reply

Russell BrazilBusiness Member
Moderator
Real Estate Agent · Washington, D.C. · Member since 2012 · 17k+ posts · 30k+ votes
5y

I dont think you will find a location in northern virginia where the zoning allows for it. 

See this reply in the discussion

4 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Real Estate Agent · Minneapolis · Member since 2019 · 338 posts · 219 votes
    5y

    It's all about zoning! Dig into the land use and zoning code for the area you are in. If quadplexes are allowed I would be very surprised and equally curious.

    (If you find anything that shows they are allowed please post here and quote this message so I am notified)

  • Russell BrazilBusiness Member
    Moderator
    Real Estate Agent · Washington, D.C. · Member since 2012 · 17k+ posts · 30k+ votes
    5y

    I dont think you will find a location in northern virginia where the zoning allows for it. 

  • Member since 2020 · 2 posts · 0 votes
    5y
    Originally posted by @Russell Brazil:

    I dont think you will find a location in northern virginia where the zoning allows for it. 

     Do you know about any of the surrounding states?

  • Investor · Colonial Heights, VA · Member since 2015 · 78 posts · 53 votes
    5y

    @Patrick McKain You are probably not going to find any existing zoning to build a 4-plex and if you want to build one you will have to try to get a special use permit. Trying to get a special use permit for a 4-plex is probably not going to be successful either. It's really tough to find existing "By Right" zoning for duplex, triplex, quadplexes and you are better off looking at other area's for existing multi-family properties. You should check out the Richmond or the Hamptons road area for quadplexes since they are not that far away from NOVA and you should have better luck finding what you are looking for.  
     

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.