Low income neighborhoods?

Low income neighborhoods?

Investor · Saratoga Springs, UT · Member since 2018 · 61 posts · 37 votes

Does anyone have an investing strategy of buying and holding property in low income neighborhoods?

I have heard the saying, “the poor” need housing too. I am curious if anyone has made a niche out of this type of investment strategy? If so, what should I watch out for? Do you just estimate more for caps x, maintenance, and other reserves?

The other day I walk through a property in a not so nice neighborhood, and it was absolutely disgusting. I could not believe those people lived in such horrible circumstances in the USA. I also thought, “how shameful on the property owner who allows his tenants to live in such terrible circumstances”. After seeing that, I got this over whelming desire to provide affordable housing in low income areas and actually take care of tenants. Maybe low income tenants do not take care of their rentals because the landlords don’t take care of them. I am a big believer in the invisible hand, so I fill like if great land lords treat people great, they will return the favor. Is my thinking flawed? What do you think?

9Reply
245 views

Most Popular Reply

Investor · Akron, OH · Member since 2016 · 2k+ posts · 4k+ votes
5y

@Mario Cuartas I have some properties in "D" neighborhoods. My first 8 units were in the second poorest neighbor hood in Akron. I have found that by-and-large people do treat nice, well maintained properties better than dumps and there are plenty of very nice people and good tenants that are poor (My average length of tenancy in the 53 months that I've owned these properties is 41 months) BUT... especially if you are buying places to renovate, you will meet some fundamentally broken people. I hear people all the time gripe that the government should not give handouts to able bodied people but the sickest tenant I ever inherited was able bodied and he was very creepy and utterly unemployable. The maximum SSI disability check is $750 per month-- you know a person can't live on that so they'll have to be doing something else or have some other kind of support. Many of these disordered people can't manage to keep a roommate so that's not often an option-- family support is usually non-existent (That's probably how many of them got so broken.) I get calls all the time from caseworkers trying to get their client out of a rooming house situation. You the landlord can't fix broken people and you can't fix the whole neighborhood. My advice would be to study up on cluster-B personality disorders and avoid them like the plague. Look for a long term work history (the nuttiest ones can't hold jobs longer term). I don't think I'd buy a fixer building with in place tenants in a "D" neighborhood in the middle of this eviction moratorium you might get stuck with a crazy train.

See this reply in the discussion

48 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Investor · Saratoga Springs, UT · Member since 2018 · 61 posts · 37 votes
    5y

    @Oscar Padilla

    I agree Oscar, I think the sketchy neighborhoods seem a lot scarier when looking out state. I think the key when looking out state is to build a good reliable

    Team of real estate experts that you can work with; that will greatly reduce the stress and anxiety of out of state investing.

  • Investor · Saratoga Springs, UT · Member since 2018 · 61 posts · 37 votes
    5y

    @J. Mitchell Bernier

    Thank you. That helps a lot. I never thought about the brink construction piece, but it makes sense as it will hold up to a beating and neglect a lot better. I appreciate the insight.

  • Investor · Saratoga Springs, UT · Member since 2018 · 61 posts · 37 votes
    5y

    @Josh C.

    Thank you for insights. I do agree with you, but I also think the landlords contribute to some of this with poor management. If the land lord does 3 month check ins and learns that the tenant is neglecting or destroying the property, as long as the lease has verbiage for it, I think the tenant should be evicted before problems get out of hand. Of course bad things will still happen and tenants can still destroy a lot in a short amount of time.

    What do you think are some property management tactics and strategies you have used to manage these properties effectively? I have heard some folks that offer a monthly or quarterly deep cleaning service from a professional cleaning company, I have heard great success from this, and although it eats at your bottom line, it protects your asset, is a tenant satisfier, it’s a differentiator among properties, and it gives the landlord piece of mind.

  • Investor · Saratoga Springs, UT · Member since 2018 · 61 posts · 37 votes
    5y

    @Ola Dantis

    Hi Ola, I agree that you can be the best landlord in the world and still gets stuck with crappy tenants, but I also believe that there are things that landlords can do to mitigate the risks. For example, the fourplex I walked through the other day as a potential investment, had water leaks from the second floor units into the first units, the floor was almost caving in, there was mold everywhere and the property manager was the one that let us in. I guess where I am in shock is that the property manager would know of all these issues and not fix them. For one, if they were caused by the tenant, can’t something be placed in the lease that indicates they are violating the contract if they don’t report these types of issues? Or if they caused them? Shouldn’t the landlord work to protect their investment by fixing the leak immediately after it was identified? Again I agree with you that there is no correlation, but I also feel that some landlords exacerbate the problems by their lack of action and engagement. What are your thoughts?

  • Investor · Saratoga Springs, UT · Member since 2018 · 61 posts · 37 votes
    5y

    @Dennis Wayne

    Hi Dennis, homes for well under $10k with $700 rents, that is 7% rule status right there. If you don’t mind me asking where are you investing at? I imagine these are predominantly found off market right?

  • Investor · Saratoga Springs, UT · Member since 2018 · 61 posts · 37 votes
    5y

    @Dennis Wayne

    Thanks Dennis. I appreciate your perspective. At what point does the line between letting them live in their own filth and evicting a tent to protect your investment get crossed? I mean there are units I have seen that have leaks, huge holes in the walls, even feces in the floor and infested with roaches. As a landlord, would you just allow the people to stay there even though long term they may be destroying your home? Do you evict and try to find someone new? Or do you just fix the issues let them live there and just continue to address problems as they come, and not worry about it. I guess for me, I would want to evict the tenant and find someone new. Would

    Love to learn more because maybe I should not be thinking that way and I should just be chasing the cash flow and as long as the checks come maybe I should be okay with it?

  • Investor · Saratoga Springs, UT · Member since 2018 · 61 posts · 37 votes
    5y

    @Melissia Larson

    Thank you Melissa. It’s sounds like the pros outweigh the cons, and there are contingencies to mitigate the risk, as you mentioned by screening appropriately. What other tactics have you used to ensure you are managing there properties well?

  • Member since 2021 · 4 posts · 1 vote
    5y

    These are my husband’s properties so I will tell you he remains available for tenant communication (he picks up the cash rent so he sees that as communication opportunity), he maintains working relationship with city code officers who are working hard to improve area (results in increased rent), he manages them himself so he’s in the neighborhood and sees things he will text them about (parking in grass for example). The properties was in two neighborhoods so it makes managing easy. He would sell them if we moved out of area bc they do require more hands-on and we know PM’s here have a hands-off approach 

  • Multifamily Syndicator · Houston, TX · Member since 2016 · 1k+ posts · 2k+ votes
    5y
    Originally posted by @Mario Cuartas:

    @Ola Dantis

    Hi Ola, I agree that you can be the best landlord in the world and still gets stuck with crappy tenants, but I also believe that there are things that landlords can do to mitigate the risks. For example, the fourplex I walked through the other day as a potential investment, had water leaks from the second floor units into the first units, the floor was almost caving in, there was mold everywhere and the property manager was the one that let us in. I guess where I am in shock is that the property manager would know of all these issues and not fix them. For one, if they were caused by the tenant, can’t something be placed in the lease that indicates they are violating the contract if they don’t report these types of issues? Or if they caused them? Shouldn’t the landlord work to protect their investment by fixing the leak immediately after it was identified? Again I agree with you that there is no correlation, but I also feel that some landlords exacerbate the problems by their lack of action and engagement. What are your thoughts?

     Unfortunately, there are slumlords out there and these landlords have no interest in keeping up the property and see it as a straight cash cow. Consequently, the Property Manager has no power to fix up the property even if the PM can see all the problems with the property. In this case, the PM is just there to collect checks and milk the cash cow as instructed by the slumlord. Tough position to be in I'm sure. 

    Of course, these kinds of bad living conditions are commonplace in D neighborhoods than in A-class areas with more sophisticated tenants. Without a doubt, landlords can turn their asset around if they really want to!

  • Member since 2020 · 339 posts · 356 votes
    5y

    Well you want to maintain the asset still I mean you can’t let water destroy it just because it’s in the ghetto . I’ve got leaks many times and I try to always fix it right away with a handyman because water is extremely hard on a house if left unchecked regardless of the area  . If there are roaches or bed bugs  I will spray myself instead of calling in high dollar bug guys .even the scummiest if tenants will leave if the insects start biting them at night so that needs addressed quickly .

    I buy the spray by the gallons and ( thanks to YouTube) became a self proclaimed expert on pests real quick lol  Look I’m not advocating you should just let the place fall apart I’m saying if they are filthy let them live in that environment and there’s no need to be adding niceties to the home updating it . I could make the units nicer but what is the point ? It won’t get much more in rent and their unsupervised kids will just trash it ,anything nice added they’d destroy in a year so just keep it safe and functional .

    I prefer to have less competition in my area so I keep that to myself . 10% rule is about the best you can get as far as a rental but sometimes livable homes can be tricky to pick up for 5 grand but they are out there and no only a fool calls a realtor buys off the mls and pays full retail . I see no point in doing that when I’m an investor !I’m trying to find screaming  deals ,not mediocre deals .if I can buy a house for 5 grand  and rent it for 600 it’s really hard to justify buying one for 25k and renting it for 700 .doesn’t make business sense .

    I'm not living there so I'm strictly looking at the ROI numbers not how cute or nice the neighborhood is . This is an investment to me not unicef . There is zero appreciation and I'm not trying to help the community, in fact I can't stand the community and why should I ? it's horrible depressing and full of losers criminals and drug addicts . God bless the man trying to turn it around but he will be shoveling sand against the tide .

  • Specialist · Cleveland, OH · Member since 2011 · 1k+ posts · 852 votes
    5y

    @Mario Cuartas

    Hey Mario,

    I have done quite a bit in lower income neighborhoods throughout the years and I do understand your thought process about giving them a better property so perhaps they will treat it better.

    That is a gamble that sometimes works out and sometimes does not.

    The first thing to ask yourself when walking through the property is what makes it so bad? Is it lack of repairs, or is it lack of cleanliness?

    On those properties I’m a believer to make sure the roof does not leak, the water runs through pipes and through drains, outlets are safe and the heat works.

    I am currently selling a section 8 house that I just bought in one of those areas that is obviously safe, but not someplace that I would want to lay my head at night. With that said, there are plenty of people that would love to take over $800 per month in government pay for a $25,000 investment and could care less if the people did the dishes, LOL

    I can talk about this all day and actually I may you a blog post on it because there’s a lot more insight I have.

    I am sure it will work out for you if you buy in those areas and you’re involved in your properties. Best of luck!

    

  • Investor · Saratoga Springs, UT · Member since 2018 · 61 posts · 37 votes
    5y

    @Rob Gillespie

    Thank you Rob. I guess that sums it up, what is wrong with the property, repairs or cleanliness? I guess we can live with unclean apartments, it’s disrepair that leads to issues. $800 for a $25k investment is a great return, but how much of that would you say gets eaten up in maintenance and cap ex per year? Does it really come out to be better cash flow in the end, or do the expenses make numbers shake out like other investments purchased in class A to B neighborhoods?

  • Specialist · Cleveland, OH · Member since 2011 · 1k+ posts · 852 votes
    5y

    @Mario Cuartas

    The biggest thing that eats up cash flow on low end properties  Is payment default. Cap x is not Bad on cheaper properties because you were doing the bare minimum to make it clean and safe.

    It is cheaper to work on a Honda Civic then it is a Mercedes S class.

    That is why I like section 8 for inner city because they have already inspected it and I know that it’s clean and safe.

    As with any property, they need to be maintained. Beginning with a bucket of paint and keeping it cleaned up outside makes a world of difference in the perception of the condition.

    

  • Matthew Irish-JonesBusiness Member
    Real Estate Agent · Buffalo, NY · Member since 2017 · 2k+ posts · 2k+ votes
    5y

    @Mario Cuartas a portion of our portfolio is in low income areas.

    There are still good renters in low income areas that take care of their units. They want all the same things as high income areas. Quality units,

    Professional management, maintenance issues to be handled promptly. If you put out a good product and service you can get a quality renter.

    Some other issues to consider are section 8 inspections and dealing with assistance payments.

    With all that being said these are higher risk areas with price to rent ratios being high for a reason. There is higher downside risk.

    Irish Jones Realty4.947 Reviews
    View Page
  • Rental Property Investor · Orlando, FL · Member since 2015 · 353 posts · 269 votes
    5y

    @Mario Cuartas some suggestions would be to add tile or low cost durable flooring, if you have hanging lights, replace with dome lights, replace unnecessary ceiling fans with dome lights, do not provide unnecessary appliances (let tenants bring them), supply a full year of air filters if you have central HVAC, if you have window units even better, have a standard paint color you use for all the rentals so touch up is easy, etc.

  • Real Estate Broker · Portland, OR · Member since 2019 · 4k+ posts · 2k+ votes
    5y

    Well, I recommended that a lot (and own) since you have the advantages of:

    1) Lower buy-in price usually

    2) Lower rents have the highest demand.

    However, the moratorium showed a fatal flaw in my strategy - Low-income means you're more likely to skip paying.

  • Member since 2020 · 23 posts · 4 votes
    5y

    @Matt Leber. Great info. What are some ways to tenant proof a house?

  • Investor · Saratoga Springs, UT · Member since 2018 · 61 posts · 37 votes
    5y

    @Matt Leber

    Thank you. If I do buy in a low income area, I will definitely apply these suggestions.

  • Rental Property Investor · Rome Italy · Member since 2020 · 42 posts · 19 votes
    5y

    @Steve Rozenberg

    I can totally relate to what you wrote.

    I own a few properties in D neighborhoods, the returns aren’t too bad, but they are very very time consuming

  • Mike D'ArrigoPro Member
    Turn key provider · San Jose, CA · Member since 2010 · 4k+ posts · 3k+ votes
    5y

    @Mario Cuartas Low income neighborhoods tend to be in high crime areas and have several problems associated with them. Yes, everyone needs a place to live so finding tenants isn't necessarily the problem. It's finding tenants that you want to rent to that will pay their rent and won't destroy the place. It's not CAP Ex expenses that will be the problem. They're not going to destroy the roof or HVAC system. You're biggest expenses will be putting the place back together when they leave. You can be facing thousands of dollars at tenant turn over which is usually pretty frequent. Another problem is your maintenance costs. It costs just as much to replace a leaky faucet on a property renting for $600/mth as it does on a property renting for $1000/mth. Maintenance expenses will be a much higher percent of gross rent. The numbers just don't work. Can this asset class work? I suppose it might if you are very hands on and this is your business. You do all of the property management and maintenance yourself and you might be able to get it to work.

  • Drew SygitBusiness Member
    Property Manager · Royal Oak, MI · Member since 2012 · 12k+ posts · 9k+ votes
    5y

    In our experience you will need to:

    1) Learn to "Maintain to the Neighborhood", not your personal standards

    2) Tenant-Proof everything you can

    • Hard surface flooring, not carpeting (too easy to trash)
    • Same basic paint for everything
    • No garbage disposals for them to break
    • Only spring-type doorstops also with plate on the wall
    • Glue rubber mats under sinks to prevent water damage
    • Sheet aluminum on walls around stovetops, for easy grease removal
    • Towel racks - screw 1x3 to wall studs, then screw rack to that
    • Install low-profile downspout ext, not aluminum that always disappear
    • Plan on cleaning gutters and leaves up in the fall as tenants won't
    • Avoid garage door openers

    3) Have a great application screening process:

    • Check credit for evictions & convictions, utility collections
    • Focus on employment/income stability
    • Require bank or debit card statement - you'll be surprised what they spend their money on!
    • Make surprise visit to their current home to see how they treat it - that's how they'll treat yours!
    • Deliberately have a few challenges in your screening process - it will weed out "entitlement mentality" problems  

    4) Allow payment plans, but create system to track when payments due, so they don't keep falling further behind

    • You will need to call them on due dates or they will fall further behind
    • Be prepared to give a strong NO when asked if you will change rent due dates to "make it easier" for tenants to pay rent based upon their SSI or paycheck dates. This shows total lack of budgeting and is a sign they will only fall further behind with more excuses.

    5) Have a defined eviction process, but build in 3-5 days of flexibility for inevitable slow-pays.

    6) Find handymen that live in an area only 1 Class higher than your property. Sending a Class A handyman to a Class C or D property will waste your money. Send Class B to C and Class C to D. They will also get along better with the tenants.

  • Investor · Saratoga Springs, UT · Member since 2018 · 61 posts · 37 votes
    5y

    @Drew Sygit, Great information. Your posts outlines so many great tips. I appreciate you taking the time to respond. One quick question about the screening process, is it legal at all to require drug testing? Since you mentioned creating obstacles to eliminate applicants with entitlement attitudes, what other hurdles/obstacles would you put in place? Renter insurance? Tax returns?

  • Drew SygitBusiness Member
    Property Manager · Royal Oak, MI · Member since 2012 · 12k+ posts · 9k+ votes
    5y

    You'd have to check with your state and local governments about the drug testing. Believe some S8 offices do it, but they're giving away free rent. So, a regular landlord would have a difficult time getting applicants if you required drug screening.

    We ask for bank statement, W-2's and written explanation on their credit issues. We require renter's insurance if they have a pet.

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.