Strategy advice for financing new primary while starting BRRRR?

Strategy advice for financing new primary while starting BRRRR?

Member since 2019 · 10 posts · 2 votes

Hello Bigger Pockets community!

I am a newbie investor looking for some guidance.

I currently own a small single family home, paid off. My partner and I are looking to start our family and need a bigger home. We are actively looking at houses.

We are trying to figure out how best to finance the new home, and hopefully keep my existing home to rent out to start our real estate investment career. I am actively reading the BRRRR book and would like to explore that investing niche.

I'm not sure if it is appropriate or smart to post actual numbers here, but I'm looking for some strategy suggestions.

We have some cash but not enough for the 20% down.

I have stocks I can either sell or take out a line of equity on. The stock line of equity is higher than the actual mortgage rate we are looking at. I'd rather not sell that much stock and take the capital gains hit right now.

And of course we have the house that we could take out a line of equity on that as well.

Or we could just put less than the 20% down and then pay for mortgage insurance or whatever is required for that.

So given all of that, how should we finance our bigger home to set us up for success to continue right on into BRRRR investing?

And if someone would like to discuss this privately and possibly help me find an agent or another resource to help work with us on investing, please DM me.

Any other strategic tips or suggestions in my position would be greatly appreciated as well.

Thanks so much, guys!  I'm really stoked to be joining such a positive, growth minded group of people.

0Reply
24 views

Most Popular Reply

Stephanie P.Pro Member
Washington, DC Mortgage Lender/Broker · Member since 2016 · 4k+ posts · 2k+ votes
5y

@Dan Collier

Refinance your first property as high as you can go to get cash.  Money is at historically cheap levels right now.

Leverage your next property as high as you can with conventional financing and save your cash/stocks.  

Stephanie

See this reply in the discussion

3 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Nicholas L.Pro Member
    Flipper/Rehabber · Pittsburgh · Member since 2018 · 6k+ posts · 5k+ votes
    5y

    @Dan Collier if you don't have enough cash for your next primary, you're probably not ready to BRRRR. Are you working with a real estate agent? They can give you rental comps to see if your existing home is a viable rental or not. I'd run those numbers before you do anything else.

    And I wouldn't sell the stocks if you can avoid it.

  • Stephanie P.Pro Member
    Washington, DC Mortgage Lender/Broker · Member since 2016 · 4k+ posts · 2k+ votes
    5y

    @Dan Collier

    Refinance your first property as high as you can go to get cash.  Money is at historically cheap levels right now.

    Leverage your next property as high as you can with conventional financing and save your cash/stocks.  

    Stephanie

  • Paul MoorePro Member
    Commercial Real Estate Fund Manager · Lynchburg, VA · Member since 2015 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    5y

    Hi @Dan Collier.  I generally agree with @Stephanie P.. If and when inflation kicks in, the payments you lock in (at least on the new primary home) will seem very cheap. That is a better plan than selling stocks or paying PMI. You should be able to use some of those refi proceeds to start your first BRRRR as well. Good luck!

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.