New GC Starting Real Estate Investing, (Financing Question)

New GC Starting Real Estate Investing, (Financing Question)

Contractor · Bentonville, AR · Member since 2021 · 12 posts · 4 votes

Hey Everyone,

I am looking for the best financing options for my plan, but if there are any better plans someone might have a suggestion for, I would love to hear them as well.

Your goals and story: I am a newly licensed General Contractor in Northwest Arkansas looking to start real estate investing. I would like to build rentals to have a monthly cashflow. I have built 4 spec homes over the last 4 years with my Dad, learning the ropes from him as he is a GC with many years of experience.

Type of property: I would like to build a 1600 sq ft Single Family Home for my wife and I to live in as well as build as many single family home rentals that I can. )

Location of property: Our house would be in Bella Vista, AR, but I am considering 2 options for location of rentals; Bella Vista, AR or VInita, OK. In Vinita, OK my mom and step dad own rentals there that do well. The cost of land and labor there are cheaper than in Northwest Arkansas. There are also houses that have potential to be flipped in both locations

Purpose of financing: Construction of our own home, Construction of rentals, purchase of our own homes and purchase of rentals

Type of financing sought: More than likely Construction loans for home and rentals, Conventional Loan for purchases, but I am open to suggestions of anything that might work better

Current or prior ownership of real estate: I have not owned any real estate, only built and sold

Occupancy: investment with traditional long term leases

Value of property at present and/or your offer price: Our home we build estimated appraisal $225,900, estimated appraisal of rental in Bella Vista, AR: $170k-175k, Estimated appraisal value in Vinita, OK: $145k-150k

Anticipated or actual appraisal issues: no

Fair market rents per month: Bella Vista, AR: $1200-1500 , VInita, OK: $700-$1200

Down payment or equity: Anything I build, I project to have 18%-20% equity at completion of construction

Source of down payment funds, if applicable: Possibly HELOC after we complete construction of our house

Income Source: Salaried in Data Cabling Industry, 2 years

Gross monthly income (optional): $7,000

Monthly debt obligations appearing on credit report, plus (if applicable) personal rent and alimony/child support/etc: $700 debt, $850 rent

FICO: Good-Excellent

Credit issues: N/A



Questions:
If I go to a bank to get a construction loan to build my own house to live in, would I still have the borrowing capacity to get another construction loan to build, at minimum, one small rental to purchase with intent to rent out?

If the buy in for a Vinita, OK rental is cheaper than the buy in for Bella Vista, AR buy in, would this give me a better opportunity to get started?

0Reply
14 views

1 Reply

Jump to latestLatest
  • Bella Vista, AR · Member since 2016 · 14 posts · 8 votes
    5y

    Blake, 

    I'm not a loan expert, but I believe based on your financials the banks would approve your rental build after building your single family home.  I have also been told by my loan officer that they will allow the prospective rental income to offset the mortgage amount when considering the loan as well.  Trent Armstrong with Iberiabank is a very sharp guy that could probably answer all your questions when you're ready to move forward.

    I can not speak to which market would be better for your rentals as I am not familiar with OK, but I have been studying the NWA market over the past year and currently reside in Bella Vista.  I believe this market is outside the bubble that we are seeing all over the country and it will continue to appreciate as the population is set to double in the next 2 decades.

    I am in the early stages of something similar in Bella Vista and so far I have found two hurdles 1. Finding buildable (affordable to build on) lots that perc test and 2. the POA/ACC rules/regulations/desires. I would recommend getting very familiar with the POA/ACC guidelines for building before you start choosing materials as well.

    If you want, shoot me a pm and Ill give you my number and we can talk some more.  I also work for a local plumbing company if you have any questions about those sorts of things.

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.