How would you invest 20K in real estate?

How would you invest 20K in real estate?

Member since 2021 · 2 posts · 0 votes

I live in SoCal and am looking for ways to grow a small savings. It's not a lot, but it's also a lot for me. New to real estate investing, but am considering commercial over residential. How would you invest?

0Reply
14 views

Most Popular Reply

Rental Property Investor · Erie, PA · Member since 2015 · 1k+ posts · 2k+ votes
5y

When I lived in Los Angeles I had saved up around 25K and bought a 4-plex in my hometown of Erie, PA. 20% down. Paid 79K for it and used the money I had left to fix up the two vacant units (mainly some cosmetic damage, light plumbing work). 

See this reply in the discussion

4 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Rental Property Investor · Erie, PA · Member since 2015 · 1k+ posts · 2k+ votes
    5y

    When I lived in Los Angeles I had saved up around 25K and bought a 4-plex in my hometown of Erie, PA. 20% down. Paid 79K for it and used the money I had left to fix up the two vacant units (mainly some cosmetic damage, light plumbing work). 

  • Member since 2021 · 2 posts · 0 votes
    5y

    Thanks Karl for the quick reply! So you invested out of state?

  • Rental Property Investor · Los Angeles, CA · Member since 2018 · 88 posts · 22 votes
    5y

    @Hilary Roberts - once you decide the strategy you want to pursue, you could always use those funds to partner with another investor. 

  • Member since 2020 · 339 posts · 356 votes
    5y

    I would buy two distressed sfh properties then owner finance them on payments to handy people in the area that want to be homeowners but bank won’t talk to them

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.