Newbie Looking for guidance. Starting out in NY/NYC

Newbie Looking for guidance. Starting out in NY/NYC

New to Real Estate · New York, NY · Member since 2020 · 9 posts · 10 votes

Hello All,

My name is Jazmin, I am 25 years old, and I am a complete newbie to real estate. I am starting off with the basics which include podcasts, books, youtube and more. I have no experience in real estate and being from NYC real estate is very intimidating. I've been researching real estate for months now and I am very eager to learn and execute my knowledge. I can feel that this is my calling to financial freedom.

Besides starting off with the basics mentioned above I would like to attend gatherings or webinars with newbies like myself. I know nobody can push me as much as I can but having some help would be great. Also being a Women, I would love to hear Women's experience in real estate in New York. I would love advice for funding (FHA loans), analyzing deals, finding trustworthy contractors. Any advice would help very much and I would be so thankful for it. I'm excited for this new journey even though there will be up's and down but in the long run it'll all be worth it.

Thank you for taking the time to read my post. Any advice is greatly appreciated!

1Reply
26 views

Most Popular Reply

Investor · New York City, NY · Member since 2013 · 137 posts · 50 votes
5y

Welcome to BP, Jazmin!!

Indeed being in NYC can be intimidating for R.E. but realize that there are many different ways to invest in R.E. It is important to educate yourself as you are doing, define your "Why" and your strategy according to your skills, interests, resources and your own "unfair advantages" (everybody has something).

For the time being, networking in BP is an option.  BP also offers webinars and a great collection of books.  As the country get back to whatever normal, it will be more in person events in NYC as before and you would have the opportunity to meet people in person.  At that time you will be better equip with knowledge to hit the ground running :)

I wish you much success in this new journey!

See this reply in the discussion

6 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Investor · New York City, NY · Member since 2013 · 137 posts · 50 votes
    5y

    Welcome to BP, Jazmin!!

    Indeed being in NYC can be intimidating for R.E. but realize that there are many different ways to invest in R.E. It is important to educate yourself as you are doing, define your "Why" and your strategy according to your skills, interests, resources and your own "unfair advantages" (everybody has something).

    For the time being, networking in BP is an option.  BP also offers webinars and a great collection of books.  As the country get back to whatever normal, it will be more in person events in NYC as before and you would have the opportunity to meet people in person.  At that time you will be better equip with knowledge to hit the ground running :)

    I wish you much success in this new journey!

  • Member since 2020 · 36 posts · 11 votes
    5y

    Welcome Jazmin. I'm a new NYC investor as well. I agree with Vania's and I would add more to defining your strategy. When you find the right strategy, commit to it and don't try to get into a little of everything. Identify a market and understand it as much as you can and build up confidence and abilities in that "sweet spot" of your strategy + market. Meet new people in REI and help them and learn from them. They're are alot of great resources here on BP. I am in the middle of some of this myself but it has helped me stay focused. Good luck and let me know if I can ever be of any help.

  • New to Real Estate · New York, NY · Member since 2020 · 9 posts · 10 votes
    5y

    @Vania Castillo I Appreciate it it very much! Thank you!!

  • New to Real Estate · New York, NY · Member since 2020 · 9 posts · 10 votes
    5y

    @Steve Velez thank you so much!!! I will definitely be doing this.

  • Member since 2021 · 22 posts · 3 votes
    5y

    Thanks for posting this! I look forward to the community's replies.

    I too am a rookie looking to build a network. I'm moving to Manhattan next month (from SF - so I can relate to intimidating markets for a noob). 

    I hope to understand the area a little better after moving, then I can decide exactly where I want to invest. I'm happy to share with you any helpful resources I come across. 

    Good luck!!

  • New to Real Estate · New York, NY · Member since 2020 · 9 posts · 10 votes
    5y

    @Lyndon Major Congratulations on moving to Manhattan. Wish you the best of luck! I’m excited for us on this new journey! Would love to stay connected for future references

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.