Minnesota Personal Gains Tax for a Newbie

Minnesota Personal Gains Tax for a Newbie

Handyman · MN · Member since 2020 · 92 posts · 46 votes

Hello again BP,

We are considering finding a home and Move-in/Flip/Sell/Move-out in roughly a year, maybe less depending on how well it goes. 

I am not understanding the capital gains tax for Minnesota. Am I taxed at my current tax rate on the proceeds of (Sale - Purchase) Or Profits - (Purchase + Expenses)?

Is there a state and federal gains tax?

The way I am reading it and just throwing random numbers:

Purchase 120K, 6K to close, 20K for the flip. 

Sell for 180K est 3% fees of $5400. 

24% Tax Rate on the profits of $21,376 =  $5130. Actual return of $16,606. 

With the info either way, do I even care about the tax rate? Assuming I repeat the deal, is it worth hanging out for another year to save the cap gains tax and miss out on making another 16K off of the next home?

How do I deal with finding discount materials to get ahead? Do I claim i paid $40/gallon on paint because that's retail? Or do I claim that I actually bought 10 gallons of someones mistake for $4/gallon, and then get penalized for trying to save money?

I'm all for paying taxes IF it benefits the greater good...but when it funds a stadium for a team to consistently choke in, that's a bit of an issue!


Thanks in advance! Hope everything makes sense, having a harder time explaining it than it is to read it.

1Reply
26 views

Most Popular Reply

Deerwood, MN · Member since 2014 · 184 posts · 122 votes
5y

Fyi, unless you’re a realtor, I think you are underestimating sell cost.

I believe you will find state capital gains will be taxed as personal income at whatever bracket you are in.

See this reply in the discussion

4 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Deerwood, MN · Member since 2014 · 184 posts · 122 votes
    5y

    Live there less than a year and you pay short term cap gains tax. 
    Live there a year plus a day and pay long term cap gains tax. 
    Live there 2 years snd pay no tax on the sale and get another year of 6 to 8% appreciation.

    Add in appreciation and no tax and its like you flipped another house with no work.

    Need receipts to discount cost basis for repairs so buy whatever you want and claim what’s on the receipts.

  • Deerwood, MN · Member since 2014 · 184 posts · 122 votes
    5y

    Fyi, unless you’re a realtor, I think you are underestimating sell cost.

    I believe you will find state capital gains will be taxed as personal income at whatever bracket you are in.

  • Realtor · Bloomington MN (bloomington, mn) · Member since 2016 · 451 posts · 263 votes
    5y

    @Nate Mur I would agree with everything Dan stated and add speak to an accountant like @John Woodrich for tax specific questions.

  • Flipper/Rehabber · Minneapolis, MN · Member since 2016 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    5y

    MN Doesn't have a separate capital gains rate, it is the same as ordinary income.

    Good luck on discounted materials - we all want them.  Supply chain broke last year and prices went up.

    You can only deduct what you pay for a gallon of paint, not what it is worth.  In the same context you can't deduct your own labor either, only out of pocket costs.

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.