Rental property investing in the Netherlands

Rental property investing in the Netherlands

Member since 2021 路 2 posts 路 0 votes

Hi guys,

My name is Eray and I am from the Netherlands. Since a couple of weeks I have been working as a civil engineer after my graduation from the university of Twente. However, I would love to start building a business in real estate alongside my full-time job. My long-term goal is to quit my job and live off my real estate business. If accomplished, enhancing the latter would be great.

Much of what I have learned so far has come from American sources like 'The Book on Rental Property Investing' by Brandon Turner, 'Rich Dad Poor Dad' by Robert Kiyosaki, Real estate books written by Ken McElroy, and of course the Bigger Pockets podcasts. 

The strategy I would love to adapt is a 'buy & hold' strategy, because I believe that buying and holding income-generating assests like rental properties is one of the best ways to build weatlth over the long term.

The main question of my post concerns defining my own market. More specifically, the area to buy my first property. I am of course not that experienced, but just looking at some current and potential Dutch laws and the Dutch overheated market, may make investing in the Netherlands not that attractive I guess. Are there others that do agree with this and what do you guys recommend? If there are some who do not agree, I would be happy to see your comments as well.

Kinds regards,

Eray
 

0Reply
31 views

2 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Nijmegen, GE 路 Member since 2019 路 62 posts 路 25 votes
    5y

    Hey Eray!

    Welcome to the forums! Fresh out of uni (jeej for Twente graduates) and already looking. Way to make a head start. 

    In regards to your question: the Dutch market can be a bit of a challenge. So if you want to start here, you'll have to do offline work. We Dutch (me included - but I also suspect a lot of other BP members) love to do all of this from their computer. But if you want the deals, you'll have to do what other people don't do: get offline. Talk to makelaars, vastgoed beheerders, financieerders. Start flyering, increase your network. You won't find the deals on Funda 馃榿 (although not completely true: you might, but you'll be competing with a lot of buyers). 

    Personally, I've taken the leap to the UK because of more/easier opportunities. But you've got your own set of challenges there. 

    Like I said: I really believe there are still deals here, you just have to go off market. And be aware: if somebody offers you off market deals, those are not off market anymore 馃槈 also, make sure you delve in the Dutch system. WWS and waarde in verhuurde staat being the most important for rentals. Box 1/2/3 in regards to taxes + flipping.

    Hope this helps! If you've got more questions, hit me up!

  • Member since 2021 路 2 posts 路 0 votes
    5y

    Hey Ivor,

    Thanks for your response and welcoming me to the forums. I really appreciate it. 

    I prefer my first deals to be in the Netherlands since I am just starting out in real estate. Therefore, I want my first investments to be close to me. I certainly don't want to give up on the Netherlands after some proper search for possible investment in the Netherlands. Nonetheless, don't you think that real estate investing is going to be very difficult because of some new regulations the government and municipalities are trying to implement?

    I think you are right when it comes to doing offline work. I have come across this advice in a book of Trump and Ken McElroy as well. However, thanks to you, I now know where to start looking. Do you have any recommendations for makelaars, vastgoed beheerders and financieerders? 

    I would love to increase my network. I saw that there are a good amount of Dutch people on the BP forums. I was wondering if by any chance you guys are involved in a sort of group chat. And are there others you advise me to make contact with?

    Last but not least, I just starting working on my full-time job and so far I have not accumulated some money to start with during my time as a student. Big mistake of course. I was wondering how long it can take me to get a conventional mortgange for instance.

    I would love to stay in contact and hopefully others will join as well.


    Kind regards,

    Eray

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.