Help: Shop around for Heloc questions

Help: Shop around for Heloc questions

Member since 2021 · 9 posts · 7 votes

I know this might sound dumb to most of you, but it is not obvious to me and I don't know who else to ask.  I am at the point where I am ready to start trying to figure out my options for how to use my Heloc, but I don't know who to ask.  In one book I read I should "shop around" for the best deal and for a bank that has experience doing rental investing with a Heloc.  But what does that mean exactly?  Who would I even ask for when calling up a bank or credit union?  I know some of you are probably thinking, "well who did you talk to when you bought your primary residence?"  Fair question, but I got the name and number of that loan officer from a friend and that person doesn't live in my state anymore and I was hoping to actually be able to sit down with someone.  Do loan officers sit down with potential clients?  I ask because mine never did.  We spoke on the phone a couple times and the rest of the time I just communicated via email.  Besides, just talking to one person is not what it means to shop around.  How do you guys do it?  Do you just start calling up banks and asking to speak to a loan officer?   Thanks for any help you can give.  

1Reply
48 views

2 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Paul DefnginPro Member
    Lender · Rockville, MD · Member since 2008 · 498 posts · 199 votes
    5y
    Originally posted by @Carleton T.:

    I know this might sound dumb to most of you, but it is not obvious to me and I don't know who else to ask.  I am at the point where I am ready to start trying to figure out my options for how to use my Heloc, but I don't know who to ask.  In one book I read I should "shop around" for the best deal and for a bank that has experience doing rental investing with a Heloc.  But what does that mean exactly?  Who would I even ask for when calling up a bank or credit union?  I know some of you are probably thinking, "well who did you talk to when you bought your primary residence?"  Fair question, but I got the name and number of that loan officer from a friend and that person doesn't live in my state anymore and I was hoping to actually be able to sit down with someone.  Do loan officers sit down with potential clients?  I ask because mine never did.  We spoke on the phone a couple times and the rest of the time I just communicated via email.  Besides, just talking to one person is not what it means to shop around.  How do you guys do it?  Do you just start calling up banks and asking to speak to a loan officer?   Thanks for any help you can give.  

    I recommend starting with the search bar. Type HELOC lenders. Browse through some of the postings. I'd start with the more recent ones. Get the names of the lenders that others have posted. Google their phone #s. Make list of the ones closest to you then start dialing :-). That's all there is to it. Call them, ask them questions. Easy questions to start with.

    Do you offer HELOCs on primary homes, second homes, and investment homes?

    What is the maximum loan to value that you can go up to?

    Do you offer interest-only options or are your HELOCs payments based on a percentage of what you owed?

    What is the draw-period?

    Are there any fees for opening the HELOC?

    Do you have any early closure/prepayment fee, if HELOC is closed early?

    What are your margins on the HELOCs at different loan to value (expect to pay more as borrow more of your equity).

    What type of property will you lend on: Single Family, condo, townhouses, multi-units?

    Good luck. 

  • Member since 2021 · 9 posts · 7 votes
    5y

    Paul, 

    I have been meaning to get back on the forum and thank you for your response. I have just so busy at work. This information is soo helpful. Thank you. I am going to do exactly what you said. And thanks for all the good starter questions. The task of shopping around for a good HELOC lender doesn't feel so daunting now.

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.