How would you, If you were in my shoes ?

How would you, If you were in my shoes ?

Member since 2021 · 16 posts · 4 votes

Hello everyone

I am here to share my personal situation and ask for some advice from more experienced people.

I have graduated from high school in 2020 and didn't go to college. In a year I have tried different things, but mostly losing money. I have learned that I have to be more educated to control any risk in anything that you're doing, so I am gaining knowledge from any resources that I can.

So by now I have around $20,000 in my savings and I am taking time before deciding where to start. I don't have huge bills or family, so It is easier for me to start working on my financial life. I am mostly interested in Real Estate, but I am aware that there are many choices in different fields. I should add that my brother works in Construction(remodeling) and right now I'm opening a company to get direct job from people to him so he could earn more, I am interested in this because it will provide me more communication skills as well as kind of sale skills. Also I will learn a lot in Remodeling so I will spend less money when I will be flipping properties.

I am planning to buy my first property in months, but since I don't earn that much I will not be approved for big mortgage, so I am planning to buy an apartment, fix it and rent it.(I need to wait 6 month after the purchase before I can sell it) So that's what my plan is. I keep working my job, help my brother with business which I start(he doesn't know english well), if everything goes well, I will earn more and will be able to save more money for more property purchases, when I have everything that I need, I will be able to buy houses for cash and flip them right away.

Am I too naive ?

And is there anything else I should think of ? I know the option with finding an investor, but It will be easier if I will have experience of running construction business.

If you went thought all of these, what would you recommend for me ?

I am sorry for typing that much, I just feel like I can do it in here.

Thank  you so much and enjoy your life:)

P.S by the way, I live in Illinois

0Reply
39 views

Most Popular Reply

JD MartinBusiness Member
Moderator
Rock Star Extraordinaire · Northeast, TN · Member since 2015 · 10k+ posts · 16k+ votes
5y

Well, first off nice job saving $20k by the time you're 20 years old. Most people I know that age don't have 2 nickels to rub together.

Some thoughts:

1. You might consider skipping opening the company to generate sales leads. I can tell that English is not your first language, which is fine, but unless you plan on hiring someone to do that kind of marketing that will be an unnecessary hurdle considering there are a ton of ways to make money in real estate that doesn't involve direct face-to-face sales. If your brother is good at what he does, he should generate enough referral business that he won't need anything you can gather. Besides, cold-call lead generation is going to be the least profitable niche he works in. Most everyone I use on rehab jobs I met through referrals.

2. Buy a duplex/triplex, live in the worst unit and rent the other units. That lets you qualify for traditional financing, and you can get first-time homeowner FHA on something like that such that $20k might be all you need for a down payment (or less). Points for something you can add value to but can still qualify for financing - meaning the systems work but everything is run down looking and old. Get your brother to come in there and help you remodel the worst unit (that you live in), and after you've been there for a year rent out your unit and do it again.

Skyline Properties
View Page
See this reply in the discussion

15 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • JD MartinBusiness Member
    Moderator
    Rock Star Extraordinaire · Northeast, TN · Member since 2015 · 10k+ posts · 16k+ votes
    5y

    Well, first off nice job saving $20k by the time you're 20 years old. Most people I know that age don't have 2 nickels to rub together.

    Some thoughts:

    1. You might consider skipping opening the company to generate sales leads. I can tell that English is not your first language, which is fine, but unless you plan on hiring someone to do that kind of marketing that will be an unnecessary hurdle considering there are a ton of ways to make money in real estate that doesn't involve direct face-to-face sales. If your brother is good at what he does, he should generate enough referral business that he won't need anything you can gather. Besides, cold-call lead generation is going to be the least profitable niche he works in. Most everyone I use on rehab jobs I met through referrals.

    2. Buy a duplex/triplex, live in the worst unit and rent the other units. That lets you qualify for traditional financing, and you can get first-time homeowner FHA on something like that such that $20k might be all you need for a down payment (or less). Points for something you can add value to but can still qualify for financing - meaning the systems work but everything is run down looking and old. Get your brother to come in there and help you remodel the worst unit (that you live in), and after you've been there for a year rent out your unit and do it again.

    Skyline Properties
    View Page
  • Member since 2021 · 16 posts · 4 votes
    4y

    @JD Martin

    If I buy Duplex/Triplex, and I live in one of the units while renting all the others, do they usually cover total monthly mortgage cost ?

  • JD MartinBusiness Member
    Moderator
    Rock Star Extraordinaire · Northeast, TN · Member since 2015 · 10k+ posts · 16k+ votes
    4y
    Originally posted by @Daniel Botvynko:

    @JD Martin

    If I buy Duplex/Triplex, and I live in one of the units while renting all the others, do they usually cover total monthly mortgage cost ?

    Well, it depends on how much you pay for the home, your interest rate & down payment, but in general most people find that they have little to no cash outlay on a duplex/triplex/quadplex. Let's say a triplex costs $300k where you are and each unit can rent for $900. You're going to put down your 20k and borrow $290 (closing costs) and have a mortgage of about $1500-1800 depending on insurance, property tax and PMI. You live in one and collect $1800 from the other two. It sounds like you're breaking even but in reality you're making the amount that you could rent your unit for ($900). After you live there for a year, you can buy another owner-occupied, so you move out of this, rent yours for $900 and now you bring in $900/month and do it again.

    Skyline Properties
    View Page
  • Griffith, IN · Member since 2019 · 114 posts · 56 votes
    4y

    Daniel, 

    Congrats on saving that much money at your age. You should be very proud of yourself!

    Where do you live in Illinois? The market there is all over the place. @Daniel Botvynko suggestion about house hacking is a good idea, IF you can find a reasonably priced duplex or three plex. It all depends upon where you want to live. You asked if house hacking can cover your mortgage payment. It all depends upon the property. Keep in mind too, that you'll most likely have rehab costs with whatever you purchase. ALWAYS leave yourself with an emergency fund for emergencies that might sprout up. 

    If you have good credit, you can also finance a rental property. Typically they ask for 20 to 25% down. That might be an option for you as well. If your brother can do the rehab, that will save you money and be a great learning experience for you too. Self managing is also a good idea, because it saves you money and gives you experience in that area. If you purchase something, after a year or so, you can refinance. Prices are going up, so you might be able to refi and put a good chunk of money in your pocket. But, you don't put the money in the bank. You buy another rental property with the refi funds. It's called the BRRRR method. If you're not familiar with it, you can look it up here on BP. I hope this helps and best of luck to you.

  • George SkidisPro Member
    Rental Property Investor · Belleville, IL · Member since 2017 · 875 posts · 529 votes
    4y

    Start low, start slow. Do not buy the Taj Mahal or something way over priced.

    MULTI-FAMILY: A Duplex is a good starter home. We recommended this to both of our children when they married. IT WORKS!  You can live in one side and rent out the other. Depending on where the home is located and prevailing rents the rental income should cover, insurance, real estate taxes and a portion of the mortgage. Look for a deal where it covers 50 to 70 percent of the property's FIXED monthly costs. You will know it when you see it. Utilities are not fixed costs.  A Triplex of Fourplex could also be a consideration.

    INSURANCE: The insurance companies will insure a two, three or four family unit as owner occupied. Anything that has five or more units is considered a commercial rental and you would need a seperate renters policy if you lived there. 

    UTILITIES: With what is happening with the natural gas market make sure the tenants have separate utility meters before you buy the property. Natural gas is burned to generate about 1/3 of the electrical energy created in Illinois. The other two thirds are produced by burning coal or in nuclear power plants. Wind and solar account for less than 4% of all energy production, but ONLY WHEN the sun is shining and WHEN the wind is blowing. Both are useless in the winter when things are iced up and frozen over. Remember what happened in Texas last February. They relied upon wind and solar for over one third of their green energy plan and people died because of it.

    BEDROOMS: A duplex can have up to 3 bedrooms but a three or four family will only have one or two bedrooms. The more bedrooms the more rent.

    TENANT SCREENING: When working with multi-family units remember this. "It only takes one bad one to lose all your good ones. We use Rent Perfect to screen our applicants. PM me for more info.

    REIA: Join your local Real Estate Investors Association (REIA). Meeting in person with experienced investors is great. Before you join a group check to make sure they are a member of the National REIA. In the Chicago area we recommend The Chicago Creative Investors Association (CCIA) run by Jane Garvey. Southern Illinois PM me.

  • Ryan KellyBusiness Member
    Real Estate Broker · Austin, TX · Member since 2018 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    4y

    @Daniel Botvynko before you do anything, read "Set For Life" by Scott Trench. It's in the BiggerPockets bookstore. It's written exactly for people like YOU, young and just getting started. It will answer a ton of your "how do I get started?" questions. Best wishes on the journey!

    Ryan Kelly Group - Keller Williams5110 Reviews
  • Crystal SmithPro Member
    Moderator
    Real Estate Broker · Chicago, IL · Member since 2014 · 2k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    4y
    Originally posted by @Daniel Botvynko:

    Hello everyone

    I am here to share my personal situation and ask for some advice from more experienced people.

    I have graduated from high school in 2020 and didn't go to college. In a year I have tried different things, but mostly losing money. I have learned that I have to be more educated to control any risk in anything that you're doing, so I am gaining knowledge from any resources that I can.

    So by now I have around $20,000 in my savings and I am taking time before deciding where to start. I don't have huge bills or family, so It is easier for me to start working on my financial life. I am mostly interested in Real Estate, but I am aware that there are many choices in different fields. I should add that my brother works in Construction(remodeling) and right now I'm opening a company to get direct job from people to him so he could earn more, I am interested in this because it will provide me more communication skills as well as kind of sale skills. Also I will learn a lot in Remodeling so I will spend less money when I will be flipping properties.

    I am planning to buy my first property in months, but since I don't earn that much I will not be approved for big mortgage, so I am planning to buy an apartment, fix it and rent it.(I need to wait 6 month after the purchase before I can sell it) So that's what my plan is. I keep working my job, help my brother with business which I start(he doesn't know english well), if everything goes well, I will earn more and will be able to save more money for more property purchases, when I have everything that I need, I will be able to buy houses for cash and flip them right away.

    Am I too naive ?

    And is there anything else I should think of ? I know the option with finding an investor, but It will be easier if I will have experience of running construction business.

    If you went thought all of these, what would you recommend for me ?

    I am sorry for typing that much, I just feel like I can do it in here.

    Thank  you so much and enjoy your life:)

    P.S by the way, I live in Illinois

    I think you plan is fine- Keep working at your job; help your brother with his business in construction/remodeling. Look for opportunities with your brother while working in the construction/modeling business. Maybe work for a few investors and eventually partner with an investor.  

  • Member since 2021 · 16 posts · 4 votes
    4y

    @JD Martin

    Thank you so much for the advice, I will take notes.

  • Member since 2021 · 16 posts · 4 votes
    4y

    @George Skidis

    I appreciate your help, I will also join REIA to be able to learn much more from people in this field.

  • Member since 2021 · 16 posts · 4 votes
    4y

    @Ryan Kelly

    Thank you, I will read this book as soon as I can.

  • Member since 2021 · 16 posts · 4 votes
    4y

    @Crystal Smith

    Thank you for the feedback, I know that everything takes time.

    The first step in this progress is to learn as much as I can, so I will not rush :)

  • Investor · Hoffman Estates, IL · Member since 2014 · 434 posts · 185 votes
    4y

    Buy and hold.  That's it!
    Get as much mortgage debt that you can right now.  It'll never be lower than what it costs right now, probably not ever again in our lifetime.  BUY!

  • Real Estate Broker · Chicago, IL · Member since 2015 · 102 posts · 53 votes
    4y

    @Daniel Botvynko If I were in your shoes, (and I was in a similar situation years ago so I can draw on personal experience), I would go work for a year with your brother.  Get on his payroll, learn the renovation side of properties, save up some more money, and then buy your first property with a conventional 5% down loan.  The mistake I made years and years ago was quitting my job to pursue Real Estate, when I should have pursued Real Estate while I still had my good paying job.  When I wanted to buy my first flip I had the downpayment, and I had all the knowledge, but I quit my salary job and became self employed so I couldn't get a loan from a bank (enter facepalm emoji.)  I ended up taking a 16% hard money loan from private lender and made it work eventually, but looking back I could have done it better.  The best way to start investing in Real Estate is to have a regular job that pays the bills while starting your investing career as a side hustle.  Then when things are rolling, you can quit the day job and make the side hustle your full time.  You can buy your first property with as little as 3.5% down fha, or 5% conventional, but if you don't have a job and you don't have tax returns you won't be able to.  You are young.  Start slow and build up from there.  If you can work construction and learn that side of the business in the mean time, it'll only help you even more down the road when you start to accumulate properties.  

  • Lender · Columbus, OH · Member since 2020 · 202 posts · 214 votes
    4y

    You sound like you are well on your way. I wish I had the courage to do what you're doing that young. I think it would be beneficial for you to get a mentor and work with someone directly. It's great that you have tried things but learning directly from a mentor will help mitigate your risk moving forward. Good luck with everything. 

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.