Appliance repairs in regards to House Hacking

Appliance repairs in regards to House Hacking

Member since 2020 · 4 posts · 0 votes

I'm currently drafting my rental agreement to be used for a property I am "house hacking" (renting out rooms of the house I am living in), and am curious what I am allowed to hold my potential tenants accountable for. It is my understanding that in a normal rental where appliances are supplied and accepted, the tenant is responsible for any and all repairs to them (assuming it's in the agreement). Also that those repair costs don't affect the security deposit.

With me living in the house with many people, if I find that a particular tenant caused a good amount of damage via general misuse or negligence, am I able to charge them for repairs to that appliance? Or do I have to let that fall under the security deposit forfeiture conditions? The appliances in question include the refrigerator and washer/dryer.

Thanks in advance for your help! This is my first real estate venture, and I want to make sure I get it right!

0Reply
19 views

Most Popular Reply

Realtor · Denver, CO · Member since 2018 · 227 posts · 241 votes
4y

@Cody Gray This has happened to me in a house with 5 roommates. Unless it's clearly one person's fault, just fix it and eat the cost. The upside of rent-by-the-room is the cashflow, but the downside is there will be more wear and tear. You could also get some sort appliance warranty that will save you the cost of service calls. 

See this reply in the discussion

4 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • South Jersey · Member since 2021 · 117 posts · 77 votes
    4y

    @Cody Gray Welcome! I'm sure you could include language in your rental agreement that holds the subject responsible for repairs for damage liable. Reading this though, you will be living in the same house so my thought is are you anticipating unruly roommates which you could screen against, or are you playing it safe by anticipating what could happen? From my experience, living in the same home provides some type of "security" in that the people that are paying rent have to see the landlord every day and it would be unwise to act in a manner that would cause concern. With that said, stranger things have happened though so I can appreciate where you are coming from.

  • Theresa HarrisPro Member
    Member since 2019 · 15k+ posts · 11k+ votes
    4y

    You can still have them pay for any damage/repairs caused by them, but if you have 3 different people living there, how are you going to know who broke the appliance?

  • Realtor · Denver, CO · Member since 2018 · 227 posts · 241 votes
    4y

    @Cody Gray This has happened to me in a house with 5 roommates. Unless it's clearly one person's fault, just fix it and eat the cost. The upside of rent-by-the-room is the cashflow, but the downside is there will be more wear and tear. You could also get some sort appliance warranty that will save you the cost of service calls. 

  • Member since 2020 · 4 posts · 0 votes
    4y
    Originally posted by @Theresa Harris:

    You can still have them pay for any damage/repairs caused by them, but if you have 3 different people living there, how are you going to know who broke the appliance?

    Like Grace said, I would only attempt to hold someone accountable if it was clearly one person's fault. I appreciate all of your guys' responses! It helped a lot!

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.