Investment Property Financing right at 50% DTI

Investment Property Financing right at 50% DTI

Johnathan KarlPro Member
Member since 2021 · 4 posts · 0 votes

Hello All! New to BP and have a few questions about expanding my portfolio. I recently purchased a new home in May using a VA loan @ 0% down. This home is my primary home, but it does have an apartment in the basement with a completely separate entrance that has cash-flowed enough monthly revenue on Airbnb to cover the mortgage. The acquisition of this home put my DTI right at 50% on paper and I'm having trouble locating a lender to buy an investment property. My questions are; 1. Can I write off 75% of the locked out apartment appraised rent to get my DTI below 50% to qualify for an investment property mortgage this year? 2. If not, if I report the Airbnb revenue as schedule E on 2021 years tax returns will I be able to utilize the tax return to bring down my DTI? Any other ideas to qualify for the next property would be greatly appreciated. At this time I'm sitting on a rather large chunk of change from my first home sale that I have dog eared as a down payment for the next property.

0Reply
12 views

3 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Lender · Nationwide Lender · Member since 2019 · 391 posts · 140 votes
    4y

    Is your primary residence a 2-4 unit property?  Or is it classified as a 1 unit?  1 unit properties would only qualify for "boarder income" (google "boarder income fannie mae").  Also, with short term rental income you would need to show at least 1 years worth of income to be able to use it if it was on an approved property.  Since you bought in May, then you would not qualify with that.

  • Marc RiceBusiness Member
    Real Estate Agent · Columbus Cleveland Dayton, OH · Member since 2018 · 2k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    4y

    You need to talk to a lender, you're trying to satisfy their requirements. 

    My questions are; 1. Can I write off 75% of the locked out apartment appraised rent to get my DTI below 50% to qualify for an investment property mortgage this year?

    - What do you mean "write off", if you're trying to improve your DTI ratio you would want to report that as taxable income to get your income to be as high as possible for underwriting reason.s

    2. If not, if I report the Airbnb revenue as schedule E on 2021 years tax returns will I be able to utilize the tax return to bring down my DTI? Any other ideas to qualify for the next property would be greatly appreciated. At this time I'm sitting on a rather large chunk of change from my first home sale that I have dog eared as a down payment for the next property.

    - You want to increase taxable income to maximize income in the DTI equation.

    Marc Rice | Investor Friendly Agent at Reafco Tailwind Team574 Reviews
  • Johnathan KarlPro Member
    OP
    Member since 2021 · 4 posts · 0 votes
    4y

    Hi Marc, by write off I mean improve DTI by taking 75% of appraised rent in the basement unit.

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.