Leasing Agent Commission

Leasing Agent Commission

Investor · Wallingford, CT · Member since 2014 · 104 posts · 53 votes

Good Evening Bigger Pockets, 

I have been looking to get out of the fitness industry and into the real estate industry for about a year now.  The question I have is what is the average commission paid to a leasing agent.  The complex I would be working for is 240 units and rents are anywhere from 1800-3600 a month.  I have searched in online but get such a wide rage of numbers.  

Seeing how I am not to familiar with the industry I want to make sure the offer is fair and not under what the industry average is. 

Wasnt sure what forum to put it in but hope this forum is alright.

Thank you

Chris 

0Reply
105 views

Most Popular Reply

Glendora, CA · Member since 2014 · 14 posts · 5 votes
11y
Working as a leasing consultant at a large apartment complex you usually get an hourly of $10-14 and bonuses between $50-$150 depending on the rentals. When I was a full time leasing agent I made about $40,000 a year. There is also a lot of room to move up in the property management industry.
See this reply in the discussion

4 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Residential Real Estate Broker · Zachary, LA · Member since 2014 · 9 posts · 1 vote
    11y

    Hey Chris, I do primarily sales, but the going rate in Louisiana for leasing a property is half the first month's rent split between the two agents. So on a lease for $1000, I'd get $250 and the listing agent would get $250. I'm really not sure how it would go for an apartment complex- how do you make money when most units are leased?

  • Brett SynickyPro Member
    Solo 401k and SDIRA Consultant · Orange, CA · Member since 2013 · 874 posts · 498 votes
    11y

    @Chris Puglisi Lease's are mostly a loser for the agent and the brokerage depending on your split. Unless you go for super high end properties. Our E&O insurance alone is $150 per transaction no matter the amount, no matter whether it's a lease, sale, commercial, etc...consider that when deciding your niche. I will say that I learned a ton while chasing leases for a few months when I first got licensed...

  • Glendora, CA · Member since 2014 · 14 posts · 5 votes
    11y
    Working as a leasing consultant at a large apartment complex you usually get an hourly of $10-14 and bonuses between $50-$150 depending on the rentals. When I was a full time leasing agent I made about $40,000 a year. There is also a lot of room to move up in the property management industry.
  • Investor · Wallingford, CT · Member since 2014 · 104 posts · 53 votes
    11y

    Thank you Laura.  That is the biggest reason I am interested in the job.  The company that owns the building is very large and they like to hire from within.

    Hey Jennifer, The property is opening next month so none of the apartments are rented out yet which creates a great opportunity

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.