Need advice to find a broker that is a good fit for me.

Need advice to find a broker that is a good fit for me.

Real Estate Agent · Grand Rapids, MI · Member since 2014 · 62 posts · 18 votes

I'm moving to Grand Rapids Michigan in about two weeks and I just passed my salesperson licensing exam yesterday. I've been looking at brokerages in the greater Grand Rapids area and weighing my options, but I'm feeling stuck on the next step.

If it helps, my goal is to be a listing agent primarily, (I had success as a leasing agent getting listings) and working with investors. I expect that to start I may have to work for first time home buyers, and I don't mind doing that while I get my bearings and learn the field.

I have no problem calling a brokerage and inquiring about a job, but I'm not sure if it's rude to ask questions like "What was your sales volume last year," and other blunt questions to really get to whether I want to work there or not. I want a brokerage that gives decent training, and maybe will even have me working under someone for a bit. I'm not sure if that is the standard, or how to ask for it, or if there is protocol for even asking a broker if he/she is looking for agents. So any advice would be a great help to me here. 

1Reply
24 views

Most Popular Reply

Residential Real Estate Agent · Grand Rapids, MI · Member since 2013 · 803 posts · 689 votes
11y

@Matt Gehrls

I prefer working for a smaller brokerage that takes a much smaller cut of each commission. I pay a flat fee and take home more of each commission check. On the other hand my brokerage gave me zero training and zero support but I don't feel I need it. You don't need a website, or training to be successful you just have to be a go-getter. Yes, having the big name like KW helps but since March I have closed on 4 houses with 3 more listings 2 more coming up and 3 other houses under contract with buyers. I don't have a website, I had my own signs made and absolutely zero training. The only thing you need is a phone, and a computer to be successful in this business as a newbie. 

On the other hand, I am not a full-time agent that makes cold calls all day, I still hold a full-time job (for now). I pick out my leads and focus on the ones with the most potential. The only training you need is getting out there and talking to people.

Good luck!

See this reply in the discussion

5 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Real Estate Broker · Cleveland Dayton Cincinnati Toledo Columbus & Akron, OH · Member since 2013 · 30k+ posts · 20k+ votes
    11y

    Congratulations on passing the exam.

    The best way to figure out what they can offer is to simply ask.

    Call them up, tell them what you bring to the table and see what they bring to the table.

  • Zach SikesBusiness Member
    Residential Real Estate Broker · Edmond, OK · Member since 2011 · 452 posts · 183 votes
    11y


    @Matt Gehrls

    I love the training at splits at KW.  PM me if you would like me to get you in touch with the Grand Rapids team leader.

    HCO Leasing4.198 Reviews
    Homestead & Co4.9172 Reviews
  • Residential Real Estate Agent · Westland, MI · Member since 2013 · 19 posts · 6 votes
    11y

    You can search on the MLS the brokerages listings, solds, and pendings to find out their volume. You can also do a search on the MLS for brokerages in your city/zip to find the ones you might want to work at. I would then check out their websites and call or email them and ask them about training and such.

  • Residential Real Estate Agent · Grand Rapids, MI · Member since 2013 · 803 posts · 689 votes
    11y

    @Matt Gehrls

    I prefer working for a smaller brokerage that takes a much smaller cut of each commission. I pay a flat fee and take home more of each commission check. On the other hand my brokerage gave me zero training and zero support but I don't feel I need it. You don't need a website, or training to be successful you just have to be a go-getter. Yes, having the big name like KW helps but since March I have closed on 4 houses with 3 more listings 2 more coming up and 3 other houses under contract with buyers. I don't have a website, I had my own signs made and absolutely zero training. The only thing you need is a phone, and a computer to be successful in this business as a newbie. 

    On the other hand, I am not a full-time agent that makes cold calls all day, I still hold a full-time job (for now). I pick out my leads and focus on the ones with the most potential. The only training you need is getting out there and talking to people.

    Good luck!

  • Real Estate Agent · Grand Rapids, MI · Member since 2014 · 62 posts · 18 votes
    11y

    Thanks for the advice everybody. I figured that just calling or emailing and just having a conversation was best, but wanted some confirmation. I've sent a few emails and have a few calls to make. I appreciate the support!

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.