Six-Figure career switch to Real Estate Agent?

Six-Figure career switch to Real Estate Agent?

Los Angeles , CA · Member since 2017 · 23 posts · 35 votes

Hey all, I'm a 37 year old with a successful 15-year advertising career making six-figures.  My largest frustration is that my salary is beginning to cap at low six-figures and the % of people making huge amounts of money (500k+) is like 1%.  And, if and when you attain that, you can easily get fired at any moment (I've seen it countless times as executives get into their 40's) and then you're down to zero income overnight (with a hard time finding a new gig).  I'm strongly considering a career-switch to Real Estate Agent as it seems the income possibilities are endless (assuming you work extremely hard and are a people person, which I have both).  My plan would be to hit it hard and make as much as possible within a few years, but also as I become an expert in my market, have the time flexibility (which I have none of in my current job) to find and partner with some investors to buy-and-hold or fix-and-flip some properties over the years (maybe dedicate 1 or 2 days a week to this).  I would love your professional opinions on whether you think at 37 years old I have lost my mind to leave a successful career path for this plan?  Is 37 too old to get into the Real Estate Agent game, from scratch?  Assuming I have the people skills, and precision focus and motivation to hustle; how long would it take to make six-figures as an Agent in Los Angeles, realistically?

9Reply
279 views

Most Popular Reply

Russell BrazilBusiness Member
Moderator
Real Estate Agent · Washington, D.C. · Member since 2012 · 17k+ posts · 30k+ votes
8y

Im slightly older than you at 38 years old. I made the switch from working in one field where I was in the low six figures to working in real estate 4 or 5 years ago. However I was a part time agent for about 10 years before that, so I wasnt exactly jumping in blind.

I found the jump pretty easy, and make considerably more than I use to, and also considerably more than most agents. However I live and breath real estate, so I dont really think of what I do as work per se.  

There is a reason though why roughly 90% of agents drop out of the business in year 1, and 90% of the remaining drop out in the 2nd year.   Those of us who are successful consider it pretty easy to make it in the business, but it really isnt.  Ive seen very smart people, very hard works fail at this business, and it can be hard to put your finger on why one person succeeds and another fails.

In a major metro area, someone with talent should be able to make it up to that $100k level.  The jump though from that $100k level, and being kind of a 10-15 transaction a year agent, up to say the $300k level and 30 transactions is going to be a much smaller number of people. Then from there you kind of make the jump up from there to your larger real estate teams where the team owner can make anywhere from $500k to upwards in the several million per year.  

To put it in prospective though, for individuals selling $20 million in sales volume, or teams selling $30 million in sales volume per year.....you are looking at roughly 1,000 people in the entire country.  The list is published every year by the Wall Street Journal and Real Trends.  Also as an FYI, a top solo agent may have a profit margin of 70% of gross commissions, while a team owner has a profit margin somewhere around 30%,  So of those agents selling $20 million in volume, you could probably ball park their actual salaries in the high $300's.

The biggest thing to consider though is that being an agent is running a business and not having a job.  And businesses take operating capital, whether there is revenue coming in or not.  So having $15-$20k per year to invest into your operating expenses as a beginning agent is going to go a long way towards success as opposed to someone who has no money to invest.

See this reply in the discussion

104 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Walnut Creek, CA · Member since 2015 · 3k+ posts · 2k+ votes
    8y

    He was probably representing the buyer(s) and probably in larger projects/multi family (possibly on the commercial side of things). I'd assume he'd help clients make/find investments vs selling someone selling their house or buying first home.

  • Los Angeles , CA · Member since 2017 · 23 posts · 35 votes
    8y

    @Minna Reid love this!!  Yes, I take in the info all have to say but I choose what I actually let penetrate.  If someone makes a good point, I investigate it.  But most of the negative comments that I'm seeing are just from people who have limiting beliefs.  The very thing that attracts me to this biz IS that much of it is mindset.  If you have the right focus, work ethic, mental and emotional strength, you can make a million dollars a year!  I know others may laugh at that sentence, but I also know you believe that.  :)

  • Los Angeles , CA · Member since 2017 · 23 posts · 35 votes
    8y

    @Jay Hinrichs thanks for your lengthy and thoughtful and encouraging response.  When you said, now for the good part, I did not see any bad part!  :)   

  • Los Angeles , CA · Member since 2017 · 23 posts · 35 votes
    8y

    @Chris Armstrong EXACTLY.  Most people who are being negative here do not understand what it feels like to be CAPPED OFF salary, knowing you have the ability to produce more.  Good luck!

  • Los Angeles , CA · Member since 2017 · 23 posts · 35 votes
    8y

    @Joseph M. true, I have thought about opening my own advertising company in order to avoid a caped salary.  But as a marketing agency, you can't do it on your own.  You need to find an Art Director, a Copywriter, and a Strategist who ALL happen to be at the same place in life willing to take huge risks.  They also have to be amazing (which I haven't come across many in my 15 years).  And only then can you begin to try and find clients.  Clients that come and go very quickly as advertising is a very "subjective" field.  At least in RE, I figure it is JUST ME.  I invest in myself and hit the road.  

  • Walnut Creek, CA · Member since 2015 · 3k+ posts · 2k+ votes
    8y

    You seem passionate and motivated, curious why that can't apply to your current field? Why can't you take the same motivation finding something new career wise and apply it to the field your in? Why can't you become a consultant and then realtor on the side? I guess my real question is why toss all the marketing career out to replace it as a RE one, why's it all or nothing?

    If you wanted to get real creative why not become a marketing consultant to some those top agents and or firms....

  • Real Estate Broker · Temecula, CA · Member since 2014 · 994 posts · 782 votes
    8y

    See if you can find a great agent to do scutt work for, in exchange for getting hands on experience. (once you have your liecense , of course)  You can show property and do what they tell you to do, in exchange for letting you wathc when they negotiate, type up counter offers, etc. 

    Once you have your license, make sure you listen to a bunch of webinars on the CAR website about legal issues, fair housing, timelines of contingencies and know that RPA contract inside and out.

  • Rental Property Investor · Fort Collins, CO · Member since 2008 · 168 posts · 105 votes
    8y

    @Solomon Ganz 15 years making $100K/yr = $1.5M. You only have a years worth of living expenses,  ~$50K left? Did I read that correctly?

  • Frisco, TX · Member since 2017 · 33 posts · 28 votes
    8y

    Hi Solomon,

    Don't let any of this get you down.  I am in the same boat but a little older and I am doing the exact same thing.  Here is an very interesting link that you should take a look at.

    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rl1PFFP_mqU

    Hope it helps.

    Matt H.

  • Eric BurchPro Member
    Investor · Jonesboro, AR · Member since 2017 · 24 posts · 10 votes
    8y

    I started at 32, 10 years ago and this year my  team will close 325 transactions and do over $50,000,000 in volume. Your at the perfect age to hit it hard and serve like no one else. Your not  so young you have no experience but also not to old to learn and create new habits. Please know that I worked 50-60 hours a week for the first 2 years until my business was up and running but today I have about 4 hours a week of commitments and send the other part of my day on our rental and construction divisions. You truly get out of this what you put into so the sky is the limit if your willing to pay the price. 

  • Los Angeles , CA · Member since 2017 · 23 posts · 35 votes
    8y
  • Investor · Irvine, CA · Member since 2016 · 30 posts · 30 votes
    8y

    @Solomon Ganz You are absolutely right. 97% are part timers, because the real estate profession seems glamorous. Sell a million dollar home and make $25k. Awesome. "I can do that." Obviously, it isn't that easy. But more than the 3% will be your competition. If you only had to compete against 5,000 agents, that actually wouldn't be too bad.

    What I meant by being a principal, is don't be a real estate broker. Be the investor, or invest with others in deals. There are pros/cons to this of course. My thought process is, time is limited, go where your time is best utilized, and where you can limit your competition. That means eliminating the thought process that "I don't know anything" therefore I should start at the bottom and work my way up. I had to break hundreds of employees mindset, of "Ill sell a condo first, then a house, then maybe a Million dollar house." All 3 take the same amount of time, yet the payoff, and by default the competition is less (because everyone is scrambling around the lower end). Commercial brokers make up roughly 5% of the pool, so 25,000 total. Yet they do 70% of the real estate transactions by dollar amount in California. So less competition, more $$$ per deal. Start thinking in competition/$$$ per transaction, and you should be able to start finding niches. 

    That is why the real money in real estate is made by Syndicators, Commercial Brokers, and Real Estate Investors (who don't do fix/flips or wholesaling. These are all time consuming, so the more deals you want to or need to do, the more time it takes, which limits the $$$ your make per work hour.) Then you may as well get a high paying job and sleep will at night.

    My partner and I sell investment property in Southern California without using the MLS, strictly to outside investors. We get the listings by repositioning the assets of the client into more lucrative real estate deals we syndicate and manage for our clients. Since we also offer Wealth Management, 1031 Exchange alternatives, and estate planning, our conversations with potential listings is completely different than, "Hey, we'd really like to market your property." The value add is huge, and since we don't need the MLS, clients sell their assets privately, and a lot of people don't value agents who just put property on the MLS and sit back hoping the phone will ring (which is literally the marketing plan of 99% of agents)

  • Los Angeles , CA · Member since 2017 · 23 posts · 35 votes
    8y

    @Adam M. 15 years in advertising and most recently making low six figures.  I can live (at least) a year off of savings.  I can do more but I don't want to blow it all, obviously.  Keep in mind, it took me 10 years or so to get to those low six figures.  I started at 30k, promoted to 40k, 50k, 70k, and so on and so on, over the years.  So yes, not easy to save a lot that way.

  • Jordan MoorheadBusiness Member
    Real Estate Agent · Austin, TX · Member since 2015 · 5k+ posts · 3k+ votes
    8y
    My father started as an agent in his 50’s with his prior experience being a VP in the IT sector. He worked his way up from having nothing to making 6 figures as an agent. You have to want it but anything is possible. Before I built my business and got a license myself I made 6 figures as a personal trainer.
  • Investor · Los Angeles, CA · Member since 2012 · 1k+ posts · 500 votes
    8y

    LA's a great place to do real estate and as most know we are over saturated with realtors here many who are under performing or not performing at all. There are a myriad of ways to make money in real estate and selling homes is just one which is a plus. LA is highly competitive and one reason is that an individual can make six figures in one deal or larger pay checks. Most deals will not make close to this sort of money though. People with money have options or friends so it's important to become highly educated or specialized to be a cut above the rest. Be so good that your value can't be denied. 

    I think if one door knock everyday, hold open houses as much as possible, attacks their sphere of influence vigilantly, advertises, finds investment deals, continues to educate themselves, they could achieve 100k+ income within two years. The challenge is to actually be disciplined enough to do this.

  • Scottsdale, AZ · Member since 2017 · 95 posts · 24 votes
    8y

    @Matt K I totally agree with his suggestion don't quit the day job. It's not greener on the other side!    

  • Investor / Vendor · San Diego, CA · Member since 2016 · 1k+ posts · 949 votes
    8y

    @Solomon Ganz

    Better idea is to get your license and work on the weekends and eventually if it takes too much time, then make the switch. That way you'll know whether you have the skills it takes to succeed or not as an agent. You might love it, or hate it. Rather than rely on the advice of random strangers with different backgrounds telling you whether they succeeded or not, why not give it a shot yourself? The real estate license is one of the easiest professional licenses to get, just join a solid brokerage that will train you well and start off doing some rent-placements to build a client base because 'real' realtors don't like doing those.

  • Dublin, OH · Member since 2015 · 41 posts · 9 votes
    8y

    Solomon, I have better advice -- go learn how to sell options. It is more fun and profitable.

  • Jay HinrichsBusiness Member
    Real Estate Consultant · Summerlin, NV · Member since 2014 · 45k+ posts · 66k+ votes
    8y

    @Daniel Klein  I was waiting for someone to chime in about commercial brokerage.. all the commercial brokers I know that have been in this a length of time are doing quite well... I agree with your thought process.

    although sounds like your probably talking west coast investors into selling and repositioning out east or mid west to higher cash flow markets..  

  • Investor · Salt Lake City, UT · Member since 2016 · 287 posts · 270 votes
    8y
    Solomon Ganz This has been a really fun thread to read. Lots of good advice but what I love most is your attitude. To me it sounds like you have your mind made up...that being said I think the smart route is to keep some form of day job. Why not start applying for jobs in LA. Maybe one that will still pay you decent and give you more time/less stress. This way you can move out there, maintain the W2, study for and get your agent’s license, start the realtor thing and then transition full time once you’ve learned the ropes. It sounds like you are highly qualified and could get a good job no problem. No reason it has to be all or nothing. Regardless, good luck!
  • Investor · Irvine, CA · Member since 2016 · 30 posts · 30 votes
    8y

    we reposition assets within their current geography...I wish more investors opened their investment horizons and diversified out of california.

  • Roselle, NJ · Member since 2017 · 139 posts · 71 votes
    8y

    @Solomon Ganz

    I admire your determination as an RE Agent. But I also think you need to consider the HIGH opportunity cost of diving straight in. Hopefully, you make it as a top RE Agent, but even that takes many many years to become great. Every year you make under low-six figures is money lost. Every year you don't make low-six figures is money you do not have to invest. Working at your W2, investing properly can yield great returns you will miss. Also, you plan on spending the next year researching thus depleting your emergency fund. You might be over 500K behind before your business really kicks off. 

    Personally, and this is as a six-figure income earner myself, would be to go part-time as a RE Agent to the point where you are generating a livable income. I met another pharmacist on this site who did something similar. His wife was generating so much business as a RE Agent that she needed help and he walked away from his profession because the RE Agent business was sustainable.

  • Joel OwensBusiness Member
    Moderator
    Real Estate Broker · Canton, GA · Member since 2010 · 15k+ posts · 11k+ votes
    8y

    Solomon,

    Some agents can make six figures in their first few years. The difference is HUGE between making 100k in California and 100k in Georgia. Cost of living is in different Universe.

    2,500 sq ft house here is about 200k plus. Cali some parts over 1 million.

    Do not depend on a brokerage to bring you business. Make sure you have at least 6 month reserves. So if you go through 100k a year paying the bills  to live for example you would need about 50,000 for reserves and likely another 25,000 investing in your business annually.

    Most agents starting out have little to no money. They tread water with a first few sales from friends and family and then peter out.

    I am 14 years in for commercial real estate. It was not easy in the beginning. The bigger and more profitable transactions most people want experience which takes time to build up through transactions. That leaves newer agents doing the smaller deals and they tend to be on 50/50 type splits so have to do lots of volume to make a little money while they gain experience and get more established.

    I remember a chart from years ago where it had first 3 years as agent 80% prospecting and 20% referral, next 4 years 50% prospecting and 50% referral, years 8 to 10 about 70 to 80% referral and 20 to 30% prospecting. You always prospect but after awhile people refer you to others. So it is still prospecting and follow up but not the same as trying to pull a lead out of thin air. Since they are a referral they tend to be a warm lead versus a cold lead you have to convince to work with you.

    I think getting the licensed makes sense and try it out a little to see if it is really what you like and thought it was. If it still gets you pumped up and excited them look at a careful and well thought out transition to go full time.     

  • Investor · La Jolla, CA · Member since 2016 · 4 posts · 1 vote
    8y
    Hi Solomon, I've been a real estate for 15 years now, since I was 18. I started off learning as an assistant. At the age of 21 I made my first 6 figure income. It just grew from there. If you have the work ethic, you'll make the money. Now my real estate commissions fund my deal purchases. I say you should do it and your marketing background will only help. Best of luck. Ps, avenger age realtor is in their 50's and it's their 7th job/career as real estate usually isn't someone's first.
  • Rental Property Investor · Dallas, TX · Member since 2017 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    8y

    @Solomon Ganz

    I agree with @Russell Brazil comments as he is super knowledgeable and well versed in the finer points of what you're trying to do. 

    @Solomon Ganz

    Like all things, including your advertising career, things will be hard at the start. I completely understand what you are saying when you say that the company owns you and there is zero time to do a side hustle. A lot (not all, there are always notable exceptions) of people who recommend doing this part-time aren't working 70+ hours a week and not many people on these forums pull in those kinds of hours, day in and day out, year after year (I've been there and I can say with experience, even sleep becomes a luxury during some stretches). 

    With you background in advertising, have you looked into working alongside real estate syndicators or investment groups to see how you can help them? Being an RE agent is just one of the many paths you can take. Just my two cents. 

    Best of luck!

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.