Real estate agent at 18

Real estate agent at 18

Member since 2019 · 215 posts · 94 votes

Hey, I am currently a 16 year old sophomore in high school. My passion is real estate, I buy books on investing, watch youtube videos about it all day, got a job at McDonald’s to learn how to interact with people better, and I follow all the real estate guys I look up to like, Grant Cardone. My question is, do you think it would be a good idea to start selling real estate right out of high school. My parents don’t, but I know that I will be able to learn everything college can teach me, but without a degree. Do any of you have any advice to going into real estate. Do you think I could get hired as a real estate agent at 18 if I am 100% committed. And what what your journey to getting into to real estate and how has it worked out so far for you?

19Reply
111 views

Most Popular Reply

Real Estate Agent · Cleveland, OH · Member since 2019 · 359 posts · 295 votes
7y

@Jordan Lucas Hi jordan, yes you can be a real estate at age 18 but i suggest you maintain a decent/well paying full timeish job (30-40 hrs) until youre up off your feet as there are a lot of expenses to being an agent and you dont always have clients immediately. It is definitely possible as long as you are self motivated and work hard!

See this reply in the discussion

92 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Member since 2019 · 215 posts · 94 votes
    7y

    @Kevin Moules thanks so much for your words of wisdom and encouragement! I think that is a great route to go and I’ll have to find a job that I think fits me the most while building up my business, perhaps something in real estate. And you are correct I have come across Graham Stephan and have been watching him for about 2 years now. Thanks for the suggestion though, I really appreciate it! How was it like balancing your work life with a regular job and working in real estate? And do you think you had to sacrifice one’s quality for it to work? Also congrats on making the switch, I wish you lots of success in the future!

  • Member since 2019 · 215 posts · 94 votes
    7y

    @Stephen Gallagher wow thanks so much for sharing that, I appreciate it so much ! Also you’ve made a great point that will stick with me and that is to start as early as possible. I will not fall short in that area, thank you !

  • Rental Property Investor · Toronto, ON · Member since 2019 · 4 posts · 2 votes
    7y

    @Jordan Lucas check out episode 316 of the Bigger Pockets Podcast the guest did somthijg similar to what you are proposing. Best of luck

  • Member since 2019 · 215 posts · 94 votes
    7y

    @Justin Clarkin thanks for the advice! If seen that episode and watch all of the guy’s videos in that episode. I also might revisit that episode, thank you!

  • Indianapolis , IN · Member since 2017 · 2 posts · 0 votes
    7y

    @Alexander Chapple What source did you use and how much was it? Thanks I advance!

  • Developer · Dallas, TX · Member since 2015 · 84 posts · 79 votes
    7y

    @Jordan Lucas

    Worked with a kid who was 19 making 90k in his first year as an agent (he was exceptional and this is not the norm) so yea man go for it. Better than wasting the first 10 years of your adulthood in a cubicle like most of us did 😂😂😂😂

  • Member since 2019 · 215 posts · 94 votes
    7y

    @Wes Johnson oh wow thanks for your input and words of encouragement!

  • Rental Property Investor · IA · Member since 2018 · 35 posts · 26 votes
    7y

    @Jordan Lucas

    Hats off! Congrats on being passionate about something and wanting to learn as much as possible about it ahead of time. As a teacher I love seeing kids dreaming big and knowing it is not just handed to them! Ultimately you will have to do what is best for you and what will make you happy. Don't be a afraid to jump right in if you feel that's what is right. Whether or not you do it for life you will learn some amazing life skills and lessons.

    With that being said, the teacher in me would like to see you continue your education. Maybe getting a business, management, or marketing (you do alot of this in real estate) degree. You could always try more the online method or just do part time, so you can work around your real estate.

    Now you have a few years before you can get your license. What I would suggest is start talking to different brokers and companies in your area (or an area you might like to end up or be going to college). See what they have to offer you! Maybe in your area they would have an assistant position available so you can get your foot in the door before you are licensed. Ask what if takes to get your license (cost and time since it is different in every state). I would also say start saving up some money to help pay for the classes and fees!

    Best of luck to you! From what I have read I think you will do amazing things in life!

  • Rental Property Investor · Martinsburg, WV · Member since 2017 · 111 posts · 81 votes
    7y

    @Jordan Lucas I'm 21 years older than you and have done all sorts of other, crazy stuff before I buckled down and got on board with my passion.

    It's still working fine. YOU will make it work, or do something else. Your young enough and passionate enough now to excel. Go for it bro, the worst thing that happens is that you fail, and at dinner point we all fail. No shame in it as long as you learn something.

    As for college, I'd recommend a trade if you want to do real estate. I got a triple-full ride to university, then learned a trade in the military. I use my higher learning as much as I use my thoughts; they're there, and fun, but they don't (and haven't) paid my bills. I joined the Army right out of college and learned a trade. Owned it. That doesn't pay my bills either but it's still fun and I enjoy doing it, because I'm being overtly productive. And it's useful so much more than academic knowledge.

    I'm not suggesting the military, btw. I'm suggesting a trade. Learn plumbing, mechanical, electrical, something. Learn enough to do it yourself right, and you'll be able to support yourself ad nauseum AND cut your rehab costs when you start buying.

  • Rental Property Investor · Turlock, CA · Member since 2018 · 35 posts · 5 votes
    7y

    @Alexander Chapple can you share a link.

  • Rental Property Investor · Turlock, CA · Member since 2018 · 226 posts · 147 votes
    7y

    @Jordan Lucas, I have a saying that I have gone by since my college days. You can sleep when your dead. hahaha. Now it should not always be like this, thats the reason I want financial freedom so I don't have to do what I do now. I have been balancing really 3 jobs for the last 3 years. Now it will be my business and RE investing. 

    Sacrifice is my middle name. I have been eating homemade lunches for 32 years, anything I can buy used I do, we don't eat out, my wife is a stay at home mom so no income from that side, no amusement parks or long vacations, Only a short list, probably a ton more stuff. Read mr. money mustaches blog from his first post and you will learn to be frugal. You can look at it two ways, save more or make more for what you want like Cordone talks about. However, as he has said multiple time he was still driving his Toyota car around when he made his first million. If you are not willing to sacrifice you will not make it. That's my humble opinion. No pain, no gain as they say. 

  • Member since 2019 · 3 posts · 1 vote
    7y

    @Jordan Lucas Hi there, I know you are young and naive. What I would suggest you is watching YouTube vids is not enough and nobody want someone who just watches YouTube vids and think they are good enough to be an agent. Start of with the basics, 1. Learn and read top and bottom real estate investor, why they lose and why they gain? Basic of economics and finances, learn to save and be ready to lose that savings by investing. Read books, save money I mean you need to start. Comeback again after a year and tell us what's up... Good luck

  • Member since 2019 · 3 posts · 1 vote
    7y

    @Alexander Chapple what course and how is helping you... Thanks

  • Jordan MoorheadBusiness Member
    Real Estate Agent · Austin, TX · Member since 2015 · 5k+ posts · 3k+ votes
    7y

    @Eli Rollins as an agent you have a fiduciary duty when working with clients. If you know a property is worth more you’d get in hot water for wholesaling it like that.

  • Rental Property Investor · Member since 2018 · 33 posts · 18 votes
    7y

    @Jordan Lucas. Ask Graham Stephan. He was licensed at 18. He did a lot of grunt work to get started. Leading and doing open houses for other agents.

    Look him up on YouTube. He introduced me to BiggerPockets

  • Rental Property Investor · Member since 2018 · 33 posts · 18 votes
    7y

    @Stephen A Binion. Leasing. Autocorrect bit me.

  • Member since 2019 · 215 posts · 94 votes
    7y

    @Aubrey Hardman thanks so much for your thought out response and words of encouragement! I think the online route for college will be good for me and I will be getting in contact with my grandma, who is an agent, to see if I can do volunteer or assistant type work for the brokerage she works at. You gave me lots of great suggestion and I appreciate them all!

  • Member since 2019 · 215 posts · 94 votes
    7y

    @Nathan Hall thanks so much for that detailed response! I think that is an excellent idea, and I’m going to research different trade that would fit and also fields in the military! Thanks a lot! What was your trade that helped you finance your purchases ?

  • Member since 2019 · 215 posts · 94 votes
    7y

    @Kevin Moules thanks so much that piece of knowledge! Frugality and sacrifice are so important! I am willing to delay my gratification for future rewards and save for the things I want! And also I will check out him out, thanks for the suggestion!

  • Member since 2019 · 215 posts · 94 votes
    7y

    @Nova Tranque thanks so much for that information! I believe that I am far from ready from being an agent but on the path to be. I will use your suggestions and expand my knowledge in re behaviors, finances, and more! Thanks for the suggestion and I will check back in about a year! Look out for it !

  • Member since 2019 · 215 posts · 94 votes
    7y

    @Stephen A Binion I have subscribed to him for about 2 years now! I have reached out to him but he’s yet to get back! I will try again, thanks for the suggestion!

  • Rental Property Investor · Member since 2018 · 33 posts · 18 votes
    7y

    He is a busy man.....

  • Member since 2019 · 215 posts · 94 votes
    7y

    @Stephen A Binion no doubt about that

  • Real Estate Agent · Fort Lauderdale, FL · Member since 2018 · 360 posts · 213 votes
    7y

    @Jordan Lucas Hello Jordan Fisrt af all, Love your passion, dedication and focus!  Second based on my experience I beliave you are in the right track. I will advice to start with wholesaling thats kike the 101 Real estate investment .. If you get into it now you will be so ahead when you get your RE license at 18th.   If you are interested I can recommend you some good books that will get you going in the mean time. ( dont get distracted with some gurus on TV and pay thousands )  Bigger pockets also have pleanty of content.

    Another Suggestion once you get your RE license Look for (legit Real estate wholeselling Real estate firm) MAn you will see so many deals on a daily basis that by the time you are 19th or 20 you will be so much ahead of the game, plus If you get good at it you will be get paid while you learn.    and then move on to a brokerage. You will become a good asset. 

    Regards

  • Member since 2019 · 215 posts · 94 votes
    7y

    @George Munoz wow thanks so much that piece of information, I really appreciate it! I would love for you to refer me to some good books on whole sailing. How as your experience with wholesaling been? Any tips ?

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.