Real estate agent at 18

Real estate agent at 18

Member since 2019 · 215 posts · 94 votes

Hey, I am currently a 16 year old sophomore in high school. My passion is real estate, I buy books on investing, watch youtube videos about it all day, got a job at McDonald’s to learn how to interact with people better, and I follow all the real estate guys I look up to like, Grant Cardone. My question is, do you think it would be a good idea to start selling real estate right out of high school. My parents don’t, but I know that I will be able to learn everything college can teach me, but without a degree. Do any of you have any advice to going into real estate. Do you think I could get hired as a real estate agent at 18 if I am 100% committed. And what what your journey to getting into to real estate and how has it worked out so far for you?

19Reply
96 views

Most Popular Reply

Real Estate Agent · Cleveland, OH · Member since 2019 · 359 posts · 295 votes
7y

@Jordan Lucas Hi jordan, yes you can be a real estate at age 18 but i suggest you maintain a decent/well paying full timeish job (30-40 hrs) until youre up off your feet as there are a lot of expenses to being an agent and you dont always have clients immediately. It is definitely possible as long as you are self motivated and work hard!

See this reply in the discussion

92 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Olathe, KS · Member since 2018 · 3 posts · 0 votes
    7y

    @Jonathan Watt I wish that's what I had done!

  • Jordan MoorheadBusiness Member
    Real Estate Agent · Austin, TX · Member since 2015 · 5k+ posts · 3k+ votes
    7y

    @Jordan Lucas just start looking for a job with a team or brokerage and start working on the license!

  • Member since 2019 · 23 posts · 20 votes
    7y

    @Jordan Lucas you should consider going to college and majoring in business or finance. Experience is absolutely the best teacher but having that college degree will make you stand out even more. When I was your age I also didn't think college was important and I could just start working and making money. And I struggled with it because I didn't understand that it was important. Life taught me otherwise. 

    You seem like you are ambitious and smart, your path can be made a lot easier if you go to college. Yes, I know its just a piece of paper and a ton of debt, but in today's world you could not get a receptionist job without it. So its a choice of either putting in triple extra energy and effort just to be taken seriously, or having that degree and confidence and have doors open for you. 

    Plus if the housing market crashes again, you won't be left struggling to get leads. Having a full time decent corporate job is great! Its great to see young people think about their future but don't get swindled by all the success stories and think its going to be the same for you. Nobody is going to write about how hard they failed. Be smart about it - go to college and get your license.

  • Member since 2019 · 215 posts · 94 votes
    7y

    @Elena Livins thanks so much and I appreciate your informative response, it helped a lot and made a lot of sense. I want to make the best decision for myself and I think you gave very valid points. I think a good option is to go to school and get my license at 18. What do you think ?

  • Member since 2019 · 23 posts · 20 votes
    7y

    @Jordan Lucas i think yes. keep your head in the game, the most difficult path is usually the most rewarding-if you work for it. 

    But also, don't forget just to live, have fun. Learn new hobbies, trades. It will do wonders for you when you have to make conversation with potential leads and people in your life.

    Good luck!

  • Member since 2019 · 215 posts · 94 votes
    7y

    @Elena Livins thanks so much for your advice. Also I love those tips and will definitely use them!

  • Member since 2019 · 215 posts · 94 votes
    7y

    @Jordan Moorhead thanks for the advice and I think that will be a great route for me!

  • Buffalo, NY · Member since 2017 · 64 posts · 85 votes
    7y

    @Jordan Lucas im gonna follow you because I seem to be in same mindset as you, I am also 16. If you ever want to text or anything feel free to hit me up. I can send you my number in a PM.

  • Member since 2019 · 215 posts · 94 votes
    7y

    @John Moorhouse wow I appreciate that, I will PM you !

  • Investor · Taylor Mill, KY · Member since 2016 · 2k+ posts · 964 votes
    7y

    @Jordan Lucas

    1. You're awesome

    2. Yes you can and it's a good idea

    3. It does come with expenses at first, and you may not have clients starting out.

    Suggestion for REI experience now (and to save money for after HS):

    Bird dog for wholesalers. Do you have your license yet? Does a friend? Drive around, find crappy houses, write down address, turn it over to a wholesaler (a good one that is used to paying bird dog leads, find one here on BP and/or local meetups), make a couple hundred per deal that closes.

    I'd say wholesale on your own, but not sure how that works being under age and entering into contracts, I guess you could. Question for attorney.

  • Specialist · Grand Rapids, MI · Member since 2016 · 1k+ posts · 611 votes
    7y

    @Jordan Lucas

    I would work for a real estate agent or broker but but definitely not go straight to an agent at 18. You would have no sphere of influence buying houses, your parents friends will

    still view you as a kid and I'll be honest I would

    not go with a teenager no matter how qualified unless it was your parents I was trying to build a relationship. I value life experience in addition to work experience.

  • Investor · cleveland, OH · Member since 2015 · 67 posts · 45 votes
    7y

    @Karl B. There is another guy on YouTube called Graham Stephen (I think) he also started young. He once said in a video that he showed all the rentals b/c none of the other agents wanted to. Wait 2 or 3 years these renters now needs homes and the reached out to him......

    Good luck.

  • Member since 2019 · 215 posts · 94 votes
    7y

    @Noam Adler I also watch him and love his channel. What he said is so true and it’s about planting a seed in the business. I can’t wait to implement it ! Thanks !

  • Real Estate Broker · Naples, FL · Member since 2013 · 9k+ posts · 6k+ votes
    7y

    The wealthiest agent I know got licensed at 18. He just sold a substantial part of his portfolio for tens of millions of dollars. 

  • Member since 2019 · 215 posts · 94 votes
    7y

    @Grant Rothenburger thanks so much for your comment. I think that would be a great method to get in the business. I will definitely look into this more as I think it could be a great way to make money as an affiliate while learning at the same time.

  • Member since 2019 · 215 posts · 94 votes
    7y

    @Charles Kao that makes a lot of sense and I appreciate your response and an alternate way of doing the thing I want to do!

  • Member since 2019 · 215 posts · 94 votes
    7y

    @John Thedford wow thanks so much for that insight and encouragement!

  • Flipper/Rehabber · Spartanburg, SC · Member since 2019 · 32 posts · 33 votes
    7y

    @Jordan Lucas I would say take the licensing course now. You might have to take it again but it is a great learning tool.

    I was licensed at 19 and I’m still playing with houses. Suny is right though. There are a lot of expenses such as fees, dues, advertising, gas to drive around etc. In my most successful days I worked in IT full time and did real estate part time. J made more money in Real Estate, but I could afford to do the best advertising and invest in my career bc I had guaranteed income to pay my house, card and other personal expenses.

    Another thought is getting a business degree while doing real estate! You would have all the first time buyers from your college.

    Stay motivated and do this!

  • Flipper/Rehabber · Tulsa, OK · Member since 2019 · 7 posts · 2 votes
    7y

    @Jordan Lucas yes! Any company from my understanding will hire anyone at 18. Ask your patents to explain to why they think it's a bad idea.

  • Member since 2019 · 215 posts · 94 votes
    7y

    @Toby Chandler thanks so much for your insight and advice. I think that would be a great idea and I will definitely look into those courses in more detail for the summer. Also thanks for sharing your personal experience. And I really like the idea about college and option I think could work for me!

  • Member since 2019 · 215 posts · 94 votes
    7y

    @Logan Mayberry thanks for the insight. I have asked them and they believe that there is only one person way for me to do real estate. And that is to go to college with either a real estate or business. I believe there are more ways than one to do it. Although their idea isn’t a bad one, I’m not sure if it is the right one for me, but I still have more thinking to do about it.

  • Real Estate Agent · Hillsboro, NH · Member since 2019 · 80 posts · 54 votes
    7y

    @Jordan Lucas my suggestion is go into the trades either plumbing or electrical and get your masters license. One less cost savings when you start flipping. You can do real estate while also in a trade, and 50 to 75k you make will be good W2 income to fund your purchases.

  • Member since 2019 · 215 posts · 94 votes
    7y

    @Stephen Gallagher thanks for your suggestion! That was also a route I was consider taking. The trade could provide the income for acquiring my purchases. Do you have any tips for the flipping business?

  • Rental Property Investor · Turlock, CA · Member since 2018 · 226 posts · 147 votes
    7y

    @Jordan Lucas, this is awesome man! When I was that age I was way to shy to interact with folks. Always been introverted but now i'm usually the one that will strike up a conversation. Like many said here I think doing in part time to start off while funding the expenses with a W-2 job is a great way to go. I have done this personally with my handyman business, did it on the side for 3 years while a holding a w-2 job and just went full time starting this month. 

    I would highly recommend BP Podcast #316 with Graham Stephen and also check out his YouTube Videos. With as much reading you have done I am assuming you have come across him already. 

    Good luck on your journey!

  • Real Estate Agent · Hillsboro, NH · Member since 2019 · 80 posts · 54 votes
    7y

    @Jordan Lucas. I have flipped two, the first one I paid 3k to sell it before I lost to a down turned economy. I lived in for 7 years while I was renting the other home out in a better area. Made 150k on the sale of the second one. We moved in 5 years earlier knowing our plan was to sell and knew there would be capital gains if we didn't. Selling the second home paid off all my debt and put me in a home with 150k equity. I am currently in negotiations for a triplex with two commercial units on the same lot.

    I am focusing on buy and holds now so I will have income without working too hard. My W2 income is from 26 years as a firefighter, my electrical business is only part time, 23 years. I am expecting to have 10 doors in two years. I have two college kids as well, so my purchases are slow at the moment.

    I should have started 20 years ago when I bought the first two houses. If only I had been more pro active, I'd be retired now just doing property.

    You can do whatever you set your mind too.

    As Dr. ROBERT SCHULLER says, "Perceive it, believe it and achieve it".

    Best of luck.

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.