Real estate agent at 18

Real estate agent at 18

Member since 2019 · 215 posts · 94 votes

Hey, I am currently a 16 year old sophomore in high school. My passion is real estate, I buy books on investing, watch youtube videos about it all day, got a job at McDonald’s to learn how to interact with people better, and I follow all the real estate guys I look up to like, Grant Cardone. My question is, do you think it would be a good idea to start selling real estate right out of high school. My parents don’t, but I know that I will be able to learn everything college can teach me, but without a degree. Do any of you have any advice to going into real estate. Do you think I could get hired as a real estate agent at 18 if I am 100% committed. And what what your journey to getting into to real estate and how has it worked out so far for you?

19Reply
103 views

Most Popular Reply

Real Estate Agent · Cleveland, OH · Member since 2019 · 359 posts · 295 votes
7y

@Jordan Lucas Hi jordan, yes you can be a real estate at age 18 but i suggest you maintain a decent/well paying full timeish job (30-40 hrs) until youre up off your feet as there are a lot of expenses to being an agent and you dont always have clients immediately. It is definitely possible as long as you are self motivated and work hard!

See this reply in the discussion

92 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Louisville, KY · Member since 2013 · 15 posts · 4 votes
    7y

    It's never to early to get into real estate. I'm just getting my real estate license and I'm 30, my only wish was to start sooner. Most people will tell you that experience is the best teacher and to learn by doing instead of just reading. Being a real estate agent is probably one of the best starts as you get to get the lay of the land in your market as well as gain first hand experience doing deals without having to use your own money. Good luck and I wish you the best!! :) 

  • Member since 2019 · 215 posts · 94 votes
    7y

    @Morris Pearson thanks for your words of wisdom and encouragement! That makes a lot of sense and it is dually noted! I would also like to wish you all the best in your real estate career as well!

  • Rental Property Investor · Orlando, FL · Member since 2018 · 12 posts · 4 votes
    7y

    @Jordan Lucas look up wholesaling real estate you can do that now if you want. Go ahead learn a lot about as the investing side as well you’ll kill it as a realtor.

  • Member since 2019 · 215 posts · 94 votes
    7y

    @Nash Paul will do thanks for the suggestion !!

  • Real Estate Agent · Fort Lauderdale, FL · Member since 2018 · 360 posts · 213 votes
    7y

    @Jordan Lucas My experience has been awesome, First  I  affiliated myself with a RE Real estate investment firm (they wholesale ) now the cool thing is that the company I work with have a unique system that allows us to have constant flow of deal and also a great CRM for our investors (quality investors) So I saw that on that company and then decide to leverage from that, Make money and use it as University (basically )  I'm still learning and you never stop learning. They made us have our RE license so everybody is properly trained and qualify to address investors and sellers, (even though you really don't need the license to wholesale) .

    I Was able to almost triple my income in the first year and along with the knowledge I have gained and now on my now second-year, I'm projecting to already 5x this one also on track to get my first income-producing prop. and in the process of moving from my own house and renting my current as well,  PLus all great connection and valuable feedback when people see you are an asset in this industry you get multiple requests to partner So, possibilities open up. 

    DM and Iwill send you the book, info, "Forgot the author"s name" so need to look for it on my shelf, also when you turn 18 feel free to apply to the company I work with. ( as long as you are willing to move down here in Florida) ( We are closing on 900 deals a year, selling all over Florida and Georgia. (as long as you show Authenticity, Unlock potential and Deliver Results you are in) ( those are the values) and believe me they will interview u physiologically with the HR department. cos the most important thing for the CEO is Culture) 

  • Rental Property Investor · Martinsburg, WV · Member since 2017 · 111 posts · 81 votes
    7y

    @Jordan Lucas Metalworker by trade in the Army; heating and mechanical while I was in high school.

    If I had to pick a useful military discipline that I have that's transferred/aged well with my real estate ventures, I'd go with both infantry and analyst. In the infantry you learn to make **** happen, even if it's dumb or hard, because that's your orders; you learn to laugh about it later too, and make it a good story. As an analyst, you learn how to sit back and re-piece together disparate data in order to make educated predictions on where something is headed.

  • Member since 2019 · 215 posts · 94 votes
    7y

    @George Munoz wow thanks so much for that detailed response, I really appreciate it! I will shoot you a dm now!

  • Member since 2019 · 215 posts · 94 votes
    7y

    @Nathan Hall thanks so much for that response! That sounds very interesting, thanks for sharing!

  • Lynchburg, VA · Member since 2018 · 7 posts · 3 votes
    7y

    @Jordan Lucas

    I forget what episode of the podcast it is, but one of their guests became an agent out of high school and a millionaire by 26. If it’s your passion, is there even a question on whether you should do it?

  • Member since 2019 · 215 posts · 94 votes
    7y

    @Zachary Pinkston there’s no question I couldn’t see myself doing anything else. Thanks for the suggestions too, I think I’ve seen the episode your talking about!

  • Rental Property Investor · Caledonia, IL · Member since 2015 · 289 posts · 213 votes
    7y

    Jordan congrats on your decision to move forward in this amazing business - all things real estate! I started out buying C mainly D props nearly 40 years ago - sold them all shortly after ( 7 years later ) our daughter was born - got my license at age 25 sold part time when she was born left working for local utility then went full time as a Realtor. Year 2000 did my first Development built close to 100 rentals sold them thru the correction that helped me survive then used my equity to completely rebuild our company. Now we own 5 companies ( 2 are rental companies ) and are very diversified in all things real estate. Out of all 5 companies far and away love the rentals the best EZ to manage buy sell repeat. Anyway . . .  IMHO get with a local mentor as in intern the summer you graduate. Ideally the ones I would recommend would be property management company - real estate company  - Residential / multi family developer.Any of those can help you on your way. Books to read in order of importance iMHO Bible try to read daily and Richest man in Babylon - read it every year ( I get you have the audio but IMHO hard copy forces you to slow down and apply what you have learned  - a 19 year young man I am mentoring just gave me a 7 page single spaced book report on the book / it was my only condition on helping him ) for the last 15 years - my bride finally bought me an old school hard copy that I treasure. I am excited and happy for you - best wishes moving forward! Stay focused!!!!!

  • Member since 2019 · 215 posts · 94 votes
    7y

    @Chris Youssi your story sounds incredible, thanks so much for sharing! Also I really appreciate the advice and since you gave so much emphasis on the book will look into getting a hard copy!

  • Real Estate Agent · Manassas, VA · Member since 2013 · 118 posts · 63 votes
    7y

    Hi @Jordan Lucas!  I didn't get to read through all of the comments you've received on this post but I wanted to let you know that I've been licensed since I turned 18 and it's the best decision I ever made.  I only wish I had been investor minded at that time, like you are!  Even if being an agent is something you do part time for a while, you are still going to learn a lot.  I'd suggest joining a company that will partner you with a mentor for your first few transactions.  Yes, they'll take the majority of the commission but what you'll learn will help you for the rest of your career.  I've been licensed for 17 years now and I still love it.  Keep learning and you're going to be doing some incredible things in your life!  

  • Member since 2019 · 215 posts · 94 votes
    7y

    @Heather Skowronsky wow thanks so much for your insight, I really appreciate it! That is great advice and I will look for that! You also sound like you have so much knowledge to share and I will be sending you a PM.

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.