• Northern, CA
Votes |
Suggestion for improving the search feature

Kyle J.
  • Rental Property Investor
  • Northern, CA
Posted May 21 2016, 19:19

So what's the problem?

Often times when I'm trying to find one of my old posts, the only way I can find it is to scroll through the pages and pages of them listed under "All Posts" for me.  That's hard to do though if it's been a while since I made the post. 

There's the search feature at the top of the page, but that searches all of the posts on the site and if you're searching for a common word it often returns too many posts to realistically go through.

Want an example?

Let's say I need to find a post I wrote a long time ago about a duplex.  If I use the search bar at the top of the page, it currently returns over 12,000 results for that word.  That's way too many to go through to find the one that I wrote.

So what's the solution?

One possible solution would be to give us the ability to search only within our own posts.  Kind of like on Amazon how you can search the whole site, or just search within your own prior orders if you know whatever it is you're looking for is something you've previously purchased. 

p.s.  I know there is a field to search "By User" under the "Filter Results" option that pops up with the search results, but I haven't found that to work properly (or at all really).  When I try to put my own user name in that field to narrow down the results, it comes up with a bunch of posts that I didn't even participate in and neither did anyone else with a similar user name.

Anyway, this could be one way to solve this problem.  I know many times I've seen some of the long time posters on here want to comment on something that they've wrote about in detail before, only to say something like "I know I wrote a post about this a while back but I can't seem to find it."  This could fix that.

Thanks for considering it BP.

Loading replies...