Investor · Vancouver · Member since 2017 · 44 posts · 9 votes
I am new to RE discussions nad the BP community. I just noticed people here are VERY open to helping and giving advice/guidance. For some reason... I feel these are red flags, but maybe am wrong. I come from the online digital marketing world and attitudes like this mean they are trying to solicit their services or products to you...
Though I am so new, and perhaps this is just the common BP community culture that people are being helpful.
Should I be concerned about these users and are there any warning signs I should take note of or be weery of - thank you for your replies.
BiggerPockets Money Podcast Host · Longmont, CO · Member since 2014 · 7k+ posts · 10k+ votes
8y
@Jessey Kwong , in my real life, not one person cares about real estate at all.
But on BiggerPockets, everyone here is a real estate geek. I can talk about tenants, new landlord laws, AirBnB regulations, and the frustrations of finding a contractor with people who care, know about it, and can contribute to the conversation.
I love real estate. I love talking about real estate and nobody I know in real life wants to talk about it. (Except for all the lovely people I meet at the local meetups.)
While there are people here who are trying to build their business, there are also just tons of people who have finally "found their tribe." BiggerPockets is my tribe. (And I'm not just saying that because I work here. I work here because It's my tribe.)
Investor · Chicago, IL · Member since 2009 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
8y
There are clearly people trying to sell some mediocre investments on this site. Or promoting ideas and products that are inferior. But this is an open forum and a new investor can find some good advice. You will not get hurt by just reading comments. Education is fundamental for newbie investors.
Philadelphia, PA · Member since 2017 · 364 posts · 109 votes
8y
As to me I am always on forums because it helps me to learn from other people's experience. There are so many mistakes as well as success stories which teach me a lot. And if I had any mistakes myself and read a similar post, I always share my experience , just to help people out. I even found myself addicted to that. So darn nice to get a vote on your post or positive feedback, feels good to know that you can help someone by just sharing.
Rock Star Extraordinaire · Northeast, TN · Member since 2015 · 10k+ posts · 16k+ votes
8y
Originally posted by @Account Closed:
@Jessey Kwong If I ever give you some good advice and you make money off it and you're ever in Pittsburgh...yeah, I expect lunch. Good lunch, too, not a chain.