So Is BP Better or Worse Now Versus Two Years Ago?

So Is BP Better or Worse Now Versus Two Years Ago?

Investor · Round Rock, TX · Member since 2010 · 8k+ posts · 4k+ votes

I PMed one of the long-time BP members several weeks ago that was complaining about "certain members" increasing their post count. He mentioned that he didn't post as much now because of the involvement of these new people, but never named them.

He also mentioned that the site used to be MUCH better and people described and updated their deals. I have been around long enough now to see some of the old threads and I can't say that things seem much different. For the long-timers...what would you say? Is BP better now than it was 2 years ago? What are the main differences?

0Reply
20 views

3 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Altus, OK · Member since 2008 · 2k+ posts · 690 votes
    15y

    Can't say that I've noticed any change since I've been here.

    I do see some long time posters don't post much anymore here. Guys like MikeOH and Christopher Lippincott don't post much if any.

  • Investor, Entrepreneur, Educator · Springfield, MO · Member since 2009 · 21k+ posts · 12k+ votes
    15y

    Yes Brian, some of the newer people have been posting tons of threads that increased their points, in topic areas that just brush the meat of a real estate topic. I would venture to say that most of their posts were questions asking political, off topic and genreal questions, like the economic impact of the fed on RE, Such postings were obviously to run up the points quickly to gain influence, IMO, as some of these folks are really not that well versed in the technical issues of real estate.

    It has turned BP in a broader scope of macro business topics rather than drilling down into details of real estate. RIght now, I think there were four other topics on the board that are of a general or even non-RE related topic like this one.

    To me, it seemed to have a different flavor about it, more technically driven a couple years ago, when I first got here, I think it's been almost two years. But say in the past six months maybe eight months, it seems there have been many off-tangent posts.

    BP still has technical issues addressed and is a great site. I don't think it makes the site any better or worse, depending on why someone is here and what they are looking for, they can always ask a question!

    But, as to racking up points in a short period of time by posting these generalized questions that simply invoke a broad opinion or political view is rather demeaning to the intent of the influence points, I'd say some of the older technicians, specialists and "experts" who earned their points by providing sound RE advice lose influenece in a way as someone with less RE knowledge is seen as a peer in terms of the points granted, when that poster is no where near being a peer in hard core RE knowledge. It has devalued the intent of the influence points gained.

    It was playing the system to gain influence and thereby advance possible business, it was very clear what was going on. IMO.

  • Investor · Round Rock, TX · Member since 2010 · 8k+ posts · 4k+ votes
    15y

    I disagree with you Bill, but I value your input.

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.