Investor · Provo, UT · Member since 2016 · 759 posts · 626 votes
Currently, I am going through due diligence for a new community. This community has 10 POHs, 4 TOHs, and 2 vacant spaces. There are a few major factors that I consider when looking into a deal-making sense.
Let me first start by telling you why I believe this is a good deal then I will go into my deal killers.
Why this deal works:
1. 0% down seller financed
2. Instant cash flow
3. Rents 20-30% low
4. Loan is amortized over 20 years with a 10-year balloon.
5. Recent infrastructure investment.
6. Great location
7. Plan to sell all POHs, seller financing, or cash sales. Ten homes worth about $50,000 each, all of the homes are occupied.
What would be a deal-killer:
1. Incorrect information from the sellers.
2. Poor condition of infrastructure especially since they have a septic system with a leech field.
3. Problems with the city. 4. Major damage before closing.
Don't overcomplicate this process but make sure you are thorough.
If the POHs are in subpar condition but occupied, would you fix them up a little and sell at a higher value, or leave as is and sell for what they’re worth in the current condition?
Just gotta do the math... but you also should include the lost space rent cost while rehabing and the mental/emotional torture going through the process of rehabing a mobile home. Just make sure however you sell it is to an owner occupied and not to a mobile home flipper who will pull the home, resell and relocate. Rip off the bandaid and get them sold as quickly as possible... 5 easy pennies over a slow nickle.
Investor · San Diego · Member since 2021 · 86 posts · 91 votes
2y
If the POHs are in subpar condition but occupied, would you fix them up a little and sell at a higher value, or leave as is and sell for what they’re worth in the current condition?
If the POHs are in subpar condition but occupied, would you fix them up a little and sell at a higher value, or leave as is and sell for what they’re worth in the current condition?
Just gotta do the math... but you also should include the lost space rent cost while rehabing and the mental/emotional torture going through the process of rehabing a mobile home. Just make sure however you sell it is to an owner occupied and not to a mobile home flipper who will pull the home, resell and relocate. Rip off the bandaid and get them sold as quickly as possible... 5 easy pennies over a slow nickle.
If the POHs are in subpar condition but occupied, would you fix them up a little and sell at a higher value, or leave as is and sell for what they’re worth in the current condition?
Just gotta do the math... but you also should include the lost space rent cost while rehabing and the mental/emotional torture going through the process of rehabing a mobile home. Just make sure however you sell it is to an owner occupied and not to a mobile home flipper who will pull the home, resell and relocate. Rip off the bandaid and get them sold as quickly as possible... 5 easy pennies over a slow nickle.
You bring up an excellent point about mental/emotional torture (I say "headache") of rehabbing a home. I'd like to expand this concept to the processing of seeing through any value-add scenarios and opportunities in a deal. As I go forth in my investing journey, the cost of dealing with these headaches has gone up (aka, I charge MORE for dealing with these problems). This equates to lower offer prices on deals. This is something listing brokers don't fully understand. There is a cost associated with fixing problems. Be it raising rents, renovating properties, sorting out infrastructural problems, etc. There's the cost of the actual fix, PLUS the cost of managing and dealing with the project.
If the POHs are in subpar condition but occupied, would you fix them up a little and sell at a higher value, or leave as is and sell for what they’re worth in the current condition?
I have done both, it depends on liquid capital available and where my contractors are with other projects. If it is in bad bad bad condition and you are not a contractor I would probably sell it.
A few months ago I sold a home and after about three months they gave it back to me and then I put it on facebook marketplace and sold it again. Basically, I sold it twice and made almost 6k with no time spent at all and the best part is someone is paying the space rent.