MHP... Deal or No Deal?

6 Replies

Looking for some advice and tips

48 lots

95% occ

lots rent average $365 ( some less some for more ) 

water and sewer ( electric individually metered )

Population 20k (large retail stores within 5 min.) nearest 50k pop. 40 miles away

Average homes sales 100k Avg. rent 1bed $600

Asking 1.3 ( owner negotiable and willing to finance with 30% down)

What should I offer BP? There is a small house ($750 rent) and rv parking ( 4 spaces) which are not included in these numbers

Lot space of surrounding areas are $395 but those parks (2) are lower grade parks compared to this one. I believe the lot space can support $400-425.

How can I determine what My lot space should rent for?

Hi Anthony,  Figure out area lot rent by googling:  mobile home park <city name>.  Then call.  Some professionals hire part time callers who have the accent of the likely resident.  But no problem if you call.

A lot rent park gets priced like this:

$lot-rent x 12 x #paying pads (ignore non paying pads) x 0.7 (for pricing figure 30% expense ratio) = NOI

It's standard to use 30% expense ratio for figuring an offer price of a 100% lot rent park.  50% or higher for park owned homes.

Price = NOI / cap rate as fraction (0.1) for 10% cap.

That's it. Forget about valuing land etc. Commercial sells on NOI alone. Ok if something special might bump price a bit.

It's nice to know that he may be under market rent but work with the $365. Using Curt's figures which I agree with gives you an 11 cap at 1.3 million. Not bad for a pad only park. However, What does the water bill look like. When water is not individually metered, it tends to be over used. The water could change a 30% estimate.

@Curt Smith "$lot-rent x 12 x #paying pads (ignore non paying pads) x 0.7 (for pricing figure 30% expense ratio) = NOI"

What if i choose to figure in a 40% expense ratio to be safe? I have seen others do a 0.6 for expense

@Howard Abell I will look into the water bill info. Thanks for heads up. I know they bill them a flat rate of $100 a month for water and sewer but not sure what the total bill is every month.

@Anthony Contento

Fancy seeing you here, glad you found something :-)

40% expenses is usually when you own or manage some of the utilties/infrastructure (well water, septic etc), and 30% is a ballpark where everything is city and direct or submetered (gas and electric excluded).

But basically take the P&L during due diligence and rip it apart. I have made offers based on rent rolls and then when I get a real P&L and real access the price drops dramatically because the owner "forgot" to factor in something.

Join the Largest Real Estate Investing Community

Basic membership is free, forever.

By signing up, you indicate that you agree to the BiggerPockets Terms & Conditions.