• New York, NY
Votes |
Deferred taxes on a Creative Finance deal

Jaret Lara
  • Rental Property Investor
  • New York, NY
Posted Nov 30 2021, 18:46

Hi Everyone, 

I'm looking for advice on deferred taxes on a possible hybrid creative finance deal I'm trying to put together on an off market property. 

This is the current situation:

House is 250K ARV, built in 1990, good middle class neighborhood in Indianapolis, house is in good condition, currently rented till March. Seller still owes 108K on the mortgage but has a good chunk in equity. He has been renting out the house 20 some years and also has been depreciating the property. He wants to sell but is hesitant because of capital gains tax that he may be hit with if he sells. I talked to him about a 1031 exchange as a possibility, which he may consider but he also has additional questions as to how the taxes play into a creative finance structure.

Given that he wants close to market value, its a good property and he wants to sell without being hit capital gains, I thought this might be a perfect situation for a creative finance. 

I'm a newbie in this area, and would like advice as to how to structure a hybrid deal. Also, what kind of structure would help him mitigate or defer taxes he may own if we go this route. 

I have to call him with a proposal of a deal. So, if anyone has advice for me I'd greatly appreciate it. Moreover, if anyone is interested in this deal to add to their portfolio and would like to work the deal with me, that's also welcome. 

Thank you for your time, patience and advice.

Mark Jaret

Loading replies...