Rental Property Investor · Littleton, CO · Member since 2019 · 46 posts · 17 votes
I currently own two properties, a triplex outside of Minneapolis and a SFH that I'm house hacking in Denver. Looking to start building a portfolio in another city/state and I've narrowed it down to the following cities based on the following video (which I thought was great because I like being able to look at hard data):
Anyone have any thoughts and/or experience in the following cities?
Conroe, TX
Franklin, TN
Buckeye, TX
Fort Worth, TX
Austin, TX
I'm in the early stages so I have plenty of my own digging to do but wanted to see if anyone had any insider knowledge as far as any of these being hidden gems or no-go cities for some reason I haven't seen yet.
I currently own two properties, a triplex outside of Minneapolis and a SFH that I'm house hacking in Denver. Looking to start building a portfolio in another city/state and I've narrowed it down to the following cities based on the following video (which I thought was great because I like being able to look at hard data):
Anyone have any thoughts and/or experience in the following cities?
Conroe, TX
Franklin, TN
Buckeye, TX
Fort Worth, TX
Austin, TX
I'm in the early stages so I have plenty of my own digging to do but wanted to see if anyone had any insider knowledge as far as any of these being hidden gems or no-go cities for some reason I haven't seen yet.
Thanks in advance!
It's going to be really hard to cash flow in Ft Worth or Austin. They have large "buy ins" and property taxes will eat up your profits.
I currently own two properties, a triplex outside of Minneapolis and a SFH that I'm house hacking in Denver. Looking to start building a portfolio in another city/state and I've narrowed it down to the following cities based on the following video (which I thought was great because I like being able to look at hard data):
Anyone have any thoughts and/or experience in the following cities?
Conroe, TX
Franklin, TN
Buckeye, TX
Fort Worth, TX
Austin, TX
I'm in the early stages so I have plenty of my own digging to do but wanted to see if anyone had any insider knowledge as far as any of these being hidden gems or no-go cities for some reason I haven't seen yet.
Thanks in advance!
It's going to be really hard to cash flow in Ft Worth or Austin. They have large "buy ins" and property taxes will eat up your profits.
@Steve Sorensen what are your goals? Some markets are going to have better cashflow and little to no appreciation and vice versa.
Good question Jordan, I'm looking to BRRRR properties and my main goal is to cashflow. Appreciation is of course a factor to consider and desirable but not my main priority. I'm looking for cashflow to replace my current W2 income as soon as possible.
Watched most of the video. Based on this criteria, and my experience growing up and living in Conroe, TX - I can provide facts about my town.
- Population, percent change - April 1, 2010 (estimates base) to July 1, 2019, (V2019), 39.3% - source : US Census Bureau
- Estimated median household income in 2019: $69,077 (it was $34,123 in 2000) : Source http://www.city-data.com/city/Conroe-Texas.html - Crime levels are dropping over time - according to city-data.com - Conroe has seen the job market increase by 3.2% over the last year. Future job growth over the next ten years is predicted to be 72.1%, which is higher than the US average of 33.5%. source : bestplaces.net
I'm sure the guy on the video has more points to look for. There are great areas in Conroe to invest. The taxes vary from neighborhood to neighborhood. And there are parts of Conroe to avoid. The lake is a great attraction and will continue to appreciate. The Woodlands nearby is wonderful and highly desired. Magnolia is becoming a bit of a boomtown. Message me if you'd like to know more.
Real Estate Agent · Austin, TX · Member since 2015 · 5k+ posts · 3k+ votes
4y
@Steve Sorensen I think you need to keep that in mind when looking at these markets. You're going to want to do that in markets that are not as desirable and not seeing massive growth. Austin has been one of the fastest growing cities in the country over the last decade. Cashflow is tough but many millionaires have been made here. What I've done is bought in Austin, held a few years and then sold and put that equity to work elsewhere where it can make more cashflow and not take a lot of work, like syndications.