Opportunity Zone FAQs

Opportunity Zone FAQs

Julio GonzalezPro Member
Specialist · West Palm Beach, FL · Member since 2008 · 4k+ posts · 1k+ votes

Opportunity zones can offer great tax incentives that encourage real estate investors to invest in underutilized and low-income communities. They have become even more popular recently so here are some of the most common questions that I get asked regarding opportunity zones.

What is a Qualified Opportunity Zone (QOZ)?

A QOZ is an economically-distressed community where if certain conditions are met, it may result in deferment of capital gains tax for investors.

What is a Qualified Opportunity Fund (QOF)?

“A QOF is an investment vehicle that files either a partnership or corporate federal income tax return and is organized for the purpose of investing in QOZ property.”

What are the benefits of buying property in an opportunity zone?

  • You can exclude all appreciation on the original capital gains investment when you exchange or sell a property in an opportunity zone if you held it for more than 10 years.
  • You are able to permanently exclude 10% of deferred gains from capital gains tax as long as you hold the property for at least 5 years and 15% if held for 7 years.
  • Deferral of recognizing capital gains after the sale of a capital asset as long as the capital gains are invested in a QOF within 180 days of the property disposition. You are able to defer the gains until the property is sold or until December 31, 2026

How do I know which areas are considered opportunity zones?

The IRS has a list of QOZs. Here is the link.

What types of gains are eligible for deferral through QOF investing?

This includes both qualified 1231 gains as capital gains as long as the transaction is not with a related person. The gain just must be reinvested in a QOF within 180 days. Many think only capital gains from the sale of real estate are eligible, however you can even reinvest the gains from selling stock.

How do I elect to defer my gain?

You make this election when filing your federal income tax return. The election is made on Form 8949. Here are additional instructions for the form.

How do I start a QOF and can an LLC be a QOF?

You must self-certify by filing Form 8996 with the federal tax return for your corporation or partnership. Yes, an LLC that elects to be either a corporation or partnership for federal income tax purposes and is organized for the purpose of investing in a QOZ is eligible.

What does it mean if a property is “substantially improved”?

After the property is acquired, during any 30-month period, the additions to the basis need to exceed the adjusted basis at the start of the 30-month period.

What is the 50% of gross income test?

A QOZ must earn a minimum of 50% of its gross income on an annual basis from QOZ business activities. There are three safe harbors that businesses may use to meet the test.

  • Half of the amount the business spent on services were for services performed in a QOZ.
  • Necessary business functions and necessary tangible property was located in a QOZ.
  • Half of the hours of service received by the business were performed in a QOZ.

A business does not need to meet all three safe harbors to qualify. Satisfying only one will qualify the business.

Where can I find more info on investing in a qualified opportunity fund?

Here’s a link!

Where can I find more info on getting certified and maintaining a qualified opportunity fund?

Here’s a link!

What other questions do you have about opportunity fund zones?

3Reply
100 views

11 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Boston, MA · Member since 2018 · 3 posts · 2 votes
    4y

    @Julio Gonzalez

    This is great. Thanks for laying out the important stuff so neatly.

  • Member since 2021 · 174 posts · 56 votes
    4y

    Excellent introduction to the topic. Nicely done. I purchased real estate in an Opportunity Zone a few years ago through a multi-member LLC but didn't realize that the real estate was in an Opportunity Zone at the time. Is it too late for me to benefit from the Opportunity Zone when I sell after 10 years?

  • Julio GonzalezPro Member
    OP
    Specialist · West Palm Beach, FL · Member since 2008 · 4k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    4y

    @Samuel Miller Of course! Glad you found it helpful.

  • Julio GonzalezPro Member
    OP
    Specialist · West Palm Beach, FL · Member since 2008 · 4k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    4y

    @Jon Fletcher 

    There are basically two potential options. 1) Amend the tax return in the year of purchase and prove you used capital gains to purchase the property and 2) Sell the property to an OZF, follow the 20% related party rule and then the structure of the sale of the property to be able to reinvest the gains. If you need any help or have questions, feel free to reach out!




  • Member since 2021 · 174 posts · 56 votes
    4y

    @Julio Gonzalez a lot of BiggerPockets members invested in cryptocurrencies, such as Bitcoin, over the last few years. If we sell our crypto holdings to invest in real estate, we will be subject to significant Capital Gains Tax. It seems like Opportunity Zones present a great way to avoid having to pay Capital Gains Tax. 

  • Julio GonzalezPro Member
    OP
    Specialist · West Palm Beach, FL · Member since 2008 · 4k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    4y

    @Jon Fletcher Exactly. You can invest the capital gains generated from the sale of assets such as stocks, bonds, real estate, cryptocurrency, etc. Opportunity Zones can be a great way to defer or reduce the tax liability created through the sale of cryptocurrency.

  • Real Estate Agent · Colorado Springs, CO · Member since 2021 · 279 posts · 121 votes
    3y

    Thank you for the great information Julio!

    I have spoken to my CPA about forming an opportunity zone fund and he made it sound like I had to be an accredited investor and have capital gains to use to create the QOZ Fund. Am I able to just form an LLC, designate it's purpose as a QOZ Fund and then fund it with my own money to buy some land?

    Any insight would be much appreciated!  

    Thank you @Julio Gonzalez

  • Julio GonzalezPro Member
    OP
    Specialist · West Palm Beach, FL · Member since 2008 · 4k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    2y

    @Brian Bohrer I'd love to discuss your question in further detail to ensure I'm giving you the correct answer. Feel free to reach out!

  • Investor · greater Boston and greater Tampa areas · Member since 2013 · 100 posts · 25 votes
    1y

    Hi Julio, I wonder if you can comment on the following scenario:

    Invested in QOZ the end of 2020. For tax year 2025, it would be 5 years. Can I choose to pay half of the deferred capital gain with the 2025 tax return and half with the 2026 return given that I would capture the 10% exclusion of capital gain with the 2025 tax return and won't be able to capture more before the deadline of Dec 2026 (unless congress decides otherwise). I tried to search on the IRS website but can't find anything. Thank you.  

  • Julio GonzalezPro Member
    OP
    Specialist · West Palm Beach, FL · Member since 2008 · 4k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    1y

    @Marina Wong Is the property being sold in 2025? Also, do you have a CPA? I highly recommend working with one that specializes in real estate taxation. If you don't already have a CPA, I'm more than happy to provide recommendations.

  • Investor · greater Boston and greater Tampa areas · Member since 2013 · 100 posts · 25 votes
    1y
    Quote from @Julio Gonzalez:

    @Marina Wong Is the property being sold in 2025? Also, do you have a CPA? I highly recommend working with one that specializes in real estate taxation. If you don't already have a CPA, I'm more than happy to provide recommendations.


     Hi Julio, the property is not sold in 2025. I do have a CPA and she said she needs to research this so I wonder if anyone here knows anything about prepaying the tax that's supposed to be due by the end of 2026. Of course there is now speculations about a possible extension of this deadline. Hopefully that would be the case because a lot of syndications are not doing well due to the high interest rate environment.

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.