Should I become a real estate investor

Should I become a real estate investor

New to Real Estate · Kansas City, MO · Member since 2021 · 13 posts · 10 votes

I’ve been a real estate investor for a little under a year and I’m strongly considering becoming a real estate agent for a full time career. If I do so would I still be able to qualify for a conventional loan and/or can I still purchase properties for myself within the same year I became a agent? 

3Reply
89 views

Most Popular Reply

Investor · Austin, TX · Member since 2021 · 9k+ posts · 5k+ votes
4y

Invest in real estate and become a realtor 

See this reply in the discussion

31 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Investor · Scottsdale Austin Tuktoyaktuk · Member since 2021 · 4k+ posts · 4k+ votes
    4y
    Quote from @Warner Alexander:

    I’ve been a real estate investor for a little under a year and I’m strongly considering becoming a real estate agent for a full time career. If I do so would I still be able to qualify for a conventional loan and/or can I still purchase properties for myself within the same year I became a agent? 

    This isn't the time to become an agent unless you really, reallly, realllly hustle. 
    First, you will make a lot more money wholesaling if you do it correctly, second, becoming an agent will be a distraction with no benefit . . .  at this time.
  • Real Estate Agent · Auburn Hills, MI · Member since 2022 · 45 posts · 67 votes
    4y

    Not sure what your current occupation is but if you plan on getting a traditional loan on property you will need the income, credit and DTI. If you leave your current job to become a Full-Time agent it is possible to make the income but more difficult to qualify for the loan being you will be a 1099, can it be done though, yes. Yes you can still purchase your own properties as an agent. I would find someone who is currently successful as a full-time Realtor and find out everything you can about the current market in your area.

  • Morris County, NJ · Member since 2020 · 5k+ posts · 2k+ votes
    4y

    @Warner Alexander

    So you are asking about becoming a real estate agent, right?  First, you need to learn about lending requirements.  In short, no...  If your only job is as a real estate agent, you will be a 1099 contractor.  So you will need to be at it for at least 2 years to show that you are actually doing it.  Even then, if you don't have many closings, you won't be showing that much income.  Semi-silly question, but how are you doing your investing now?  Do you have a salaried income?  Are you getting health insurance from that job?  Or, from a significant other?  --- see where this is going?  You didn't say much about your situation, so its tough to advise.  

  • Investor · Austin, TX · Member since 2021 · 9k+ posts · 5k+ votes
    4y

    Invest in real estate and become a realtor 

  • Eudith VacioPro Member
    Real Estate Agent · Chicago & NWI · Member since 2015 · 860 posts · 521 votes
    4y

    Yes you can become a real estate agent and qualify for a loan - and I don't know what the qualification are in your area, but here in Chicago you need at least 2 years of employment. 

  • Jonathan KlemmBusiness Member
    Moderator
    Contractor · Chicago, IL · Member since 2016 · 4k+ posts · 2k+ votes
    4y

    @Warner Alexander - These days you can also get bank statement loans that don't require 2 years of 1099 work. I definitely recommend both, I am also here in Chicago and it's been amazing to have access to the MLS and be an investor.

  • Crystal SmithPro Member
    Moderator
    Real Estate Broker · Chicago, IL · Member since 2014 · 2k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    4y
    Quote from @Warner Alexander:

    I’ve been a real estate investor for a little under a year and I’m strongly considering becoming a real estate agent for a full time career. If I do so would I still be able to qualify for a conventional loan and/or can I still purchase properties for myself within the same year I became a agent? 



    To qualify for a loan you must show that you have $ for the downpayment and a steady source of income to make your mortgage payments.  If you become a full time real estate agent & have no other source of income then you will not be able to get a traditional conventional loan.  If you have a lot of $ saved you may be able to qualify for a Hard Money loan to purchase properties for yourself. What kind of $ saved- Enough to pay all the requisite fees and handle payments for at least one year (This is if you're going to flip a property, not live in it)
  • Real Estate Agent · Austin, TX · Member since 2020 · 1k+ posts · 941 votes
    4y
    Quote from @Warner Alexander:

    I’ve been a real estate investor for a little under a year and I’m strongly considering becoming a real estate agent for a full time career. If I do so would I still be able to qualify for a conventional loan and/or can I still purchase properties for myself within the same year I became a agent? 


     If you have a full-time job I'd try to get as many rental properties as you can before making the jump. It will be a lot harder to get a loan for a few years.

  • Matthew Irish-JonesBusiness Member
    Real Estate Agent · Buffalo, NY · Member since 2017 · 2k+ posts · 2k+ votes
    4y
    Quote from @Account Closed:
    Quote from @Warner Alexander:

    I’ve been a real estate investor for a little under a year and I’m strongly considering becoming a real estate agent for a full time career. If I do so would I still be able to qualify for a conventional loan and/or can I still purchase properties for myself within the same year I became a agent? 

    This isn't the time to become an agent unless you really, reallly, realllly hustle. 
    First, you will make a lot more money wholesaling if you do it correctly, second, becoming an agent will be a distraction with no benefit . . .  at this time.

     The benefit would be making a lot of money if you are a good agent, saving agency fee's if you are also an investor, and being able to get into properties immediately.  How is none of this a benefit?  

    Irish Jones Realty4.947 Reviews
    View Page
  • Rental Property Investor · Columbus, OH · Member since 2017 · 3k+ posts · 3k+ votes
    4y
    Quote from @Warner Alexander:

    I’ve been a real estate investor for a little under a year and I’m strongly considering becoming a real estate agent for a full time career. If I do so would I still be able to qualify for a conventional loan and/or can I still purchase properties for myself within the same year I became a agent? 


     If you have not bought a property I would do so before you quit your full-time job. You cannot really get a conventional loan until you have 2 years of tax returns from being a realtor. You could get a hard money loan but you need to have a plan of how you are going to get out of that because those are not the best to keep long-term. Before becoming a realtor I think it is important to find a mentor. Find someone who is doing what you want to do and meet with them. 

  • Morris County, NJ · Member since 2020 · 5k+ posts · 2k+ votes
    4y

    @Warner Alexander just trying to be realistic...  Don't forget that not only do you have to show 2 years of 1099 income, you need to actually have sufficient PROFIT across those two years to qualify for the loan.  Some people think that if they earn $100k in commissions its similar to having a $100k annual w2 salary..  No....  Its your profit, i.e. net earnings.  So, if you spend $25k in advertising, deducted $5k in mileage, a bunch of whatever other misc deductions that you could throw in sine you are self employed, etc...  you won't have much to show for it...

  • Investor · Scottsdale Austin Tuktoyaktuk · Member since 2021 · 4k+ posts · 4k+ votes
    4y
    Quote from @Matthew Irish-Jones:
    Quote from @Account Closed:
    Quote from @Warner Alexander:

    I’ve been a real estate investor for a little under a year and I’m strongly considering becoming a real estate agent for a full time career. If I do so would I still be able to qualify for a conventional loan and/or can I still purchase properties for myself within the same year I became a agent? 

    This isn't the time to become an agent unless you really, reallly, realllly hustle. 
    First, you will make a lot more money wholesaling if you do it correctly, second, becoming an agent will be a distraction with no benefit . . .  at this time.

     The benefit would be making a lot of money if you are a good agent, saving agency fee's if you are also an investor, and being able to get into properties immediately.  How is none of this a benefit?  

    @Matthew Irish-Jones: 

    Unforunately for 70,000 for the 75,000 agents in Arizona, you are providing  false information.

    The average agent does less than 1 deal in a year and most quit by 18 months in the business.

    Being a real estate agent doesn't teach anybody how to be an investor. That is like saying because you can flip pancakes you can milk a cow.

    Agent & Investor are totally different skill sets. Besides, very few brokers teach their agents how to be an agent.

    I just bought a house with no agents involved, (I am not an agent) how would being an agent have benefited me?



  • Matthew Irish-JonesBusiness Member
    Real Estate Agent · Buffalo, NY · Member since 2017 · 2k+ posts · 2k+ votes
    4y
    Quote from @Account Closed:
    Quote from @Matthew Irish-Jones:
    Quote from @Account Closed:
    Quote from @Warner Alexander:

    I’ve been a real estate investor for a little under a year and I’m strongly considering becoming a real estate agent for a full time career. If I do so would I still be able to qualify for a conventional loan and/or can I still purchase properties for myself within the same year I became a agent? 

    This isn't the time to become an agent unless you really, reallly, realllly hustle. 
    First, you will make a lot more money wholesaling if you do it correctly, second, becoming an agent will be a distraction with no benefit . . .  at this time.

     The benefit would be making a lot of money if you are a good agent, saving agency fee's if you are also an investor, and being able to get into properties immediately.  How is none of this a benefit?  

    @Matthew Irish-Jones: 

    Unforunately for 70,000 for the 75,000 agents in Arizona, you are providing  false information.

    The average agent does less than 1 deal in a year and most quit by 18 months in the business.

    Being a real estate agent doesn't teach anybody how to be an investor. That is like saying because you can flip pancakes you can milk a cow.

    Agent & Investor are totally different skill sets. Besides, very few brokers teach their agents how to be an agent.

    I just bought a house with no agents involved, (I am not an agent) how would being an agent have benefited me?




     What information did I provide that was false?

    Irish Jones Realty4.947 Reviews
    View Page
  • Morris County, NJ · Member since 2020 · 5k+ posts · 2k+ votes
    4y

    @Account Closed I tend to agree... NAR's own statistics show 75% of first year agents drop out, and 90% by three years. Not to "beat down" in people's dreams, but one does need to be realistic --- and plan realistically. It seems like more of BP is people just "selling" stuff...

  • Jay HinrichsBusiness Member
    Real Estate Consultant · Summerlin, NV · Member since 2014 · 45k+ posts · 66k+ votes
    4y
    Quote from @David M.:

    @Account Closed I tend to agree... NAR's own statistics show 75% of first year agents drop out, and 90% by three years. Not to "beat down" in people's dreams, but one does need to be realistic --- and plan realistically. It seems like more of BP is people just "selling" stuff...


     exact same stats or worse for wholesalers.. there are only so many folks that accel at sales.  IN all my years in the bizz there is one constant 20% or less of agents generate 80% or more of revenue..  its one thing to be a wholesaler or a RE agent and another to know how to actually close deals.  

  • Investor · Scottsdale Austin Tuktoyaktuk · Member since 2021 · 4k+ posts · 4k+ votes
    4y
    Quote from @Matthew Irish-Jones:
    Quote from @Account Closed:
    Quote from @Matthew Irish-Jones:
    Quote from @Account Closed:
    Quote from @Warner Alexander:

    I’ve been a real estate investor for a little under a year and I’m strongly considering becoming a real estate agent for a full time career. If I do so would I still be able to qualify for a conventional loan and/or can I still purchase properties for myself within the same year I became a agent? 

    This isn't the time to become an agent unless you really, reallly, realllly hustle. 
    First, you will make a lot more money wholesaling if you do it correctly, second, becoming an agent will be a distraction with no benefit . . .  at this time.

     The benefit would be making a lot of money if you are a good agent, saving agency fee's if you are also an investor, and being able to get into properties immediately.  How is none of this a benefit?  

    @Matthew Irish-Jones: 

    Unforunately for 70,000 for the 75,000 agents in Arizona, you are providing  false information.

    The average agent does less than 1 deal in a year and most quit by 18 months in the business.

    Being a real estate agent doesn't teach anybody how to be an investor. That is like saying because you can flip pancakes you can milk a cow.

    Agent & Investor are totally different skill sets. Besides, very few brokers teach their agents how to be an agent.

    I just bought a house with no agents involved, (I am not an agent) how would being an agent have benefited me?

     What information did I provide that was false?

     Your comment: "Yes" - "being able to get into properties immediately."

    I note two things. 1. You say "Properties" (plural) 2. you say "Immediately" and C. since in most cases agents get only a percentage of the commission (depending on agent's plan) it is far harder than closing one deal to get enough money together to buy a house. And generally, it takes 6 months to get the first check from becoming an agent.

    As others have already stated, beginning real estate agents rarely make sales, you need 2 years of substantial income, good credit & a down payment to get a loan. Most people find it hard to get a 20% down payment together so getting more than one property every couple of years is difficult for them at best. And, this is a very tough market for any agent, especially for a new agent.

    But, it's been fun going back and forth, it just isn't productive and I don't think anybody is buying what you are selling. ;-)

  • Jay HinrichsBusiness Member
    Real Estate Consultant · Summerlin, NV · Member since 2014 · 45k+ posts · 66k+ votes
    4y
    Quote from @Account Closed:
    Quote from @Matthew Irish-Jones:
    Quote from @Account Closed:
    Quote from @Matthew Irish-Jones:
    Quote from @Account Closed:
    Quote from @Warner Alexander:

    I’ve been a real estate investor for a little under a year and I’m strongly considering becoming a real estate agent for a full time career. If I do so would I still be able to qualify for a conventional loan and/or can I still purchase properties for myself within the same year I became a agent? 

    This isn't the time to become an agent unless you really, reallly, realllly hustle. 
    First, you will make a lot more money wholesaling if you do it correctly, second, becoming an agent will be a distraction with no benefit . . .  at this time.

     The benefit would be making a lot of money if you are a good agent, saving agency fee's if you are also an investor, and being able to get into properties immediately.  How is none of this a benefit?  

    @Matthew Irish-Jones: 

    Unforunately for 70,000 for the 75,000 agents in Arizona, you are providing  false information.

    The average agent does less than 1 deal in a year and most quit by 18 months in the business.

    Being a real estate agent doesn't teach anybody how to be an investor. That is like saying because you can flip pancakes you can milk a cow.

    Agent & Investor are totally different skill sets. Besides, very few brokers teach their agents how to be an agent.

    I just bought a house with no agents involved, (I am not an agent) how would being an agent have benefited me?

     What information did I provide that was false?

     Your comment: "Yes" - "being able to get into properties immediately."

    I note two things. 1. You say "Properties" (plural) 2. you say "Immediately" and C. since in most cases agents get only a percentage of the commission (depending on agent's plan) it is far harder than closing one deal to get enough money together to buy a house. And generally, it takes 6 months to get the first check from becoming an agent.

    As others have already stated, beginning real estate agents rarely make sales, you need 2 years of substantial income, good credit & a down payment to get a loan. Most people find it hard to get a 20% down payment together so getting more than one property every couple of years is difficult for them at best. And, this is a very tough market for any agent, especially for a new agent.

    But, it's been fun going back and forth, it just isn't productive and I don't think anybody is buying what you are selling. ;-)


     But Mike just like anything that is worth doing. And there is no instant success stories whether your RE agent or wholesaler. The advantage to RE is you build a monster referral base if your a winner.  In wholesaling your only as good as the last letter you sent out. not a lot of referrals come from people you buy wholesale deals from.. whereas a good agent who puts in their 10 years will usually have most of their business come to them the rest of their career via referrals or a good portion.. There is no question that you have to put your time in and time is measured by 5 to 10 years NOT 2. But if your one of the winners its a very nice business with limited monetary risk ( you don't have to buy anything LOL) you just cash checks.. and if you want to buy some real estate go for it.   But to say one should not pursue RE sales as a career because they cant buy a rental well thats very short sided.  I mean its takes decades to build up a rental portfolio that your going to live on the income unless of course our one of those that can live on 5 to 10k a month.

  • Investor · Scottsdale Austin Tuktoyaktuk · Member since 2021 · 4k+ posts · 4k+ votes
    4y
    Quote from @Jay Hinrichs:
    Quote from @Account Closed:
    Quote from @Matthew Irish-Jones:
    Quote from @Account Closed:
    Quote from @Matthew Irish-Jones:
    Quote from @Account Closed:
    Quote from @Warner Alexander:

    I’ve been a real estate investor for a little under a year and I’m strongly considering becoming a real estate agent for a full time career. If I do so would I still be able to qualify for a conventional loan and/or can I still purchase properties for myself within the same year I became a agent? 

    This isn't the time to become an agent unless you really, reallly, realllly hustle. 
    First, you will make a lot more money wholesaling if you do it correctly, second, becoming an agent will be a distraction with no benefit . . .  at this time.

     The benefit would be making a lot of money if you are a good agent, saving agency fee's if you are also an investor, and being able to get into properties immediately.  How is none of this a benefit?  

    @Matthew Irish-Jones: 

    Unforunately for 70,000 for the 75,000 agents in Arizona, you are providing  false information.

    The average agent does less than 1 deal in a year and most quit by 18 months in the business.

    Being a real estate agent doesn't teach anybody how to be an investor. That is like saying because you can flip pancakes you can milk a cow.

    Agent & Investor are totally different skill sets. Besides, very few brokers teach their agents how to be an agent.

    I just bought a house with no agents involved, (I am not an agent) how would being an agent have benefited me?

     What information did I provide that was false?

     Your comment: "Yes" - "being able to get into properties immediately."

    I note two things. 1. You say "Properties" (plural) 2. you say "Immediately" and C. since in most cases agents get only a percentage of the commission (depending on agent's plan) it is far harder than closing one deal to get enough money together to buy a house. And generally, it takes 6 months to get the first check from becoming an agent.

    As others have already stated, beginning real estate agents rarely make sales, you need 2 years of substantial income, good credit & a down payment to get a loan. Most people find it hard to get a 20% down payment together so getting more than one property every couple of years is difficult for them at best. And, this is a very tough market for any agent, especially for a new agent.

    But, it's been fun going back and forth, it just isn't productive and I don't think anybody is buying what you are selling. ;-)


     But Mike just like anything that is worth doing. And there is no instant success stories whether your RE agent or wholesaler. The advantage to RE is you build a monster referral base if your a winner.  In wholesaling your only as good as the last letter you sent out. not a lot of referrals come from people you buy wholesale deals from.. whereas a good agent who puts in their 10 years will usually have most of their business come to them the rest of their career via referrals or a good portion.. There is no question that you have to put your time in and time is measured by 5 to 10 years NOT 2. But if your one of the winners its a very nice business with limited monetary risk ( you don't have to buy anything LOL) you just cash checks.. and if you want to buy some real estate go for it.   But to say one should not pursue RE sales as a career because they cant buy a rental well thats very short sided.  I mean its takes decades to build up a rental portfolio that your going to live on the income unless of course our one of those that can live on 5 to 10k a month.

    @Jay Hinrichs: I am not an agent, nor am I a wholesaler. I buy "off market" using creative finance, and  I agree with you entirely. It's worth the pain if you persist as a real estate agent. 

    The question from the OP was "if I do so would I still be able to qualify for a conventional loan and/or can I still purchase properties for myself within the same year I became a agent?"

    To keep an existing job that he has had for more than two years and add doing real estate part time, the answer is probably "yes" if his credit, down payment, income and other factors are in good order. But, to quit a job and do real estate only and buy a house in the first year based on that, not likely.

  • Morris County, NJ · Member since 2020 · 5k+ posts · 2k+ votes
    4y

    @Account Closed

    I think you two are saying the same thing, and the same thing as me...  Its what I call the "truth vs. reality."  I think we can agree its true that if you become a professional athlete (at least male one anyway) you will make a lot of money.  But, the reality is chances you aren't going to make it big...

    So, the OP asked a simple question with a bunch of "implied conditions..."  I think we agree that if he happens to have a huge network to leverage, he can generate lots of business and hopefully close many of them.  For example, one realtor I know in my area is killing it right from the start, over 25 transactions a year.  But, she was a bartender for some 10 years.  So, she knows "lots" of people and the wait staff continue to keep feeding her leads every week...  But again, its is this the "normal/realty" story, hell no.  Sure it can happen, but not really often.

    I think all three of us are trying to supportive, but realistic on this board.  Right?

  • Investor · Scottsdale Austin Tuktoyaktuk · Member since 2021 · 4k+ posts · 4k+ votes
    4y
    Quote from @David M.:

    @Account Closed @Jay Hinrichs

    I think you two are saying the same thing, and the same thing as me...  Its what I call the "truth vs. reality."  I think we can agree its true that if you become a professional athlete (at least male one anyway) you will make a lot of money.  But, the reality is chances you aren't going to make it big...

    So, the OP asked a simple question with a bunch of "implied conditions..."  I think we agree that if he happens to have a huge network to leverage, he can generate lots of business and hopefully close many of them.  For example, one realtor I know in my area is killing it right from the start, over 25 transactions a year.  But, she was a bartender for some 10 years.  So, she knows "lots" of people and the wait staff continue to keep feeding her leads every week...  But again, its is this the "normal/realty" story, hell no.  Sure it can happen, but not really often.

    I think all three of us are trying to supportive, but realistic on this board.  Right?

    Right.
    Also, the Fed is meeting in a couple of weeks and we shall wait and see what that does (if anything) to real estate. I've been through down markets. This one could be a doozy.
  • Jay HinrichsBusiness Member
    Real Estate Consultant · Summerlin, NV · Member since 2014 · 45k+ posts · 66k+ votes
    4y
    Quote from @Account Closed:
    Quote from @Jay Hinrichs:
    Quote from @Account Closed:
    Quote from @Matthew Irish-Jones:
    Quote from @Account Closed:
    Quote from @Matthew Irish-Jones:
    Quote from @Account Closed:
    Quote from @Warner Alexander:

    I’ve been a real estate investor for a little under a year and I’m strongly considering becoming a real estate agent for a full time career. If I do so would I still be able to qualify for a conventional loan and/or can I still purchase properties for myself within the same year I became a agent? 

    This isn't the time to become an agent unless you really, reallly, realllly hustle. 
    First, you will make a lot more money wholesaling if you do it correctly, second, becoming an agent will be a distraction with no benefit . . .  at this time.

     The benefit would be making a lot of money if you are a good agent, saving agency fee's if you are also an investor, and being able to get into properties immediately.  How is none of this a benefit?  

    @Matthew Irish-Jones: 

    Unforunately for 70,000 for the 75,000 agents in Arizona, you are providing  false information.

    The average agent does less than 1 deal in a year and most quit by 18 months in the business.

    Being a real estate agent doesn't teach anybody how to be an investor. That is like saying because you can flip pancakes you can milk a cow.

    Agent & Investor are totally different skill sets. Besides, very few brokers teach their agents how to be an agent.

    I just bought a house with no agents involved, (I am not an agent) how would being an agent have benefited me?

     What information did I provide that was false?

     Your comment: "Yes" - "being able to get into properties immediately."

    I note two things. 1. You say "Properties" (plural) 2. you say "Immediately" and C. since in most cases agents get only a percentage of the commission (depending on agent's plan) it is far harder than closing one deal to get enough money together to buy a house. And generally, it takes 6 months to get the first check from becoming an agent.

    As others have already stated, beginning real estate agents rarely make sales, you need 2 years of substantial income, good credit & a down payment to get a loan. Most people find it hard to get a 20% down payment together so getting more than one property every couple of years is difficult for them at best. And, this is a very tough market for any agent, especially for a new agent.

    But, it's been fun going back and forth, it just isn't productive and I don't think anybody is buying what you are selling. ;-)


     But Mike just like anything that is worth doing. And there is no instant success stories whether your RE agent or wholesaler. The advantage to RE is you build a monster referral base if your a winner.  In wholesaling your only as good as the last letter you sent out. not a lot of referrals come from people you buy wholesale deals from.. whereas a good agent who puts in their 10 years will usually have most of their business come to them the rest of their career via referrals or a good portion.. There is no question that you have to put your time in and time is measured by 5 to 10 years NOT 2. But if your one of the winners its a very nice business with limited monetary risk ( you don't have to buy anything LOL) you just cash checks.. and if you want to buy some real estate go for it.   But to say one should not pursue RE sales as a career because they cant buy a rental well thats very short sided.  I mean its takes decades to build up a rental portfolio that your going to live on the income unless of course our one of those that can live on 5 to 10k a month.

    @Jay Hinrichs: I am not an agent, nor am I a wholesaler. I buy "off market" using creative finance, and  I agree with you entirely. It's worth the pain if you persist as a real estate agent. 

    The question from the OP was "if I do so would I still be able to qualify for a conventional loan and/or can I still purchase properties for myself within the same year I became a agent?"

    To keep an existing job that he has had for more than two years and add doing real estate part time, the answer is probably "yes" if his credit, down payment, income and other factors are in good order. But, to quit a job and do real estate only and buy a house in the first year based on that, not likely.


     ya i missed that point.. and I was not inferring what your occupation was. My main point was to say that RE brokerage for those who end up excelling at it can be very rewarding and also lead you to many many deals you would never have gotten just being and investor or wholesaler.  But totally agree with teh wash out rate.. I have owned 3 brokerages over my career and the numbers do play out that way..  2021 my wife was number 1 agent in a 600 agent strong brokerage ( dollar Volume )  So I know how rewarding it can be if you get to that level. 

  • Matthew Irish-JonesBusiness Member
    Real Estate Agent · Buffalo, NY · Member since 2017 · 2k+ posts · 2k+ votes
    4y

    @Jay Hinrichs

    Yeah exactly Jay. There are benefits to having a Real Estate license. That does not mean you will be instantly successful, anyone saying that is a silly.

    It takes work, and hustle, and business systems like any other business in life but there are definitely advantages to being in the business full time as well as investing.

    Irish Jones Realty4.947 Reviews
    View Page
  • Matthew Irish-JonesBusiness Member
    Real Estate Agent · Buffalo, NY · Member since 2017 · 2k+ posts · 2k+ votes
    4y

    @Mike Hern lol Mike, you don’t read to well. Have a nice day.

    Irish Jones Realty4.947 Reviews
    View Page
  • Investor · Scottsdale Austin Tuktoyaktuk · Member since 2021 · 4k+ posts · 4k+ votes
    4y
    Quote from @Matthew Irish-Jones:

    @Mike Hern lol Mike, you don’t read to well. Have a nice day.

    @Matthew Irish-Jones: Your comment "Mike, you don’t read to well. Have a nice day"

    Lol, Matthew, You don't write too well. You have a great day too.

  • Rental Property Investor · San Francisco Bay Area · Member since 2022 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    4y

    @Warner Alexander I've been a real estate investor for 3 years now. I considered becoming a real estate agent during the seller's market in California. I know someone who quit his full time job thinking it would be easy money and has not even closed a deal here and is trying to get his job back at a hospital. Also after seeing what realtors go through... no thanks I'll stick to my full time job (which is in high demand) and growing my rental portfolio. My buying realtor, in hindsight, was terrible even though he was a super nice guy but he caused me to overbid on a property in a seller's market in the San Francisco Bay Area. There are so many real estate agents and some of them are really bad. It's easy to be a realtor in a seller's market with 20 offers over list price but the market is shifting now and you really have to hustle. I'm going to be a lot more cautious about vetting my realtors now. 

    You don't say what your full-time job is but echoing what the others have said, I would buy as many rental properties as you can if you decide to quit your full time job since you need the 2 years income documentation for a conventional loan. 

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.