Is buying a multi-family in Springfield OH a good idea?

Is buying a multi-family in Springfield OH a good idea?

Financial Advisor · Member since 2022 · 67 posts · 67 votes

Was looking at a multi family in Springfield OH and on paper it looks good and cash flows. The neighborhood has less crime compared to other parts. My worry about Springfield is that it seems like a run down town and stagnant. I want my property to appreciate so I can take the equity in a few years and use it to buy another house. I don’t want to be stuck with a property in a town with no growth. I’ve thought about Dayton or other towns near Columbus. 

Does anybody have any thoughts on Springfield or any good markets for someone who is looking at the $150k range? 

2Reply
22 views

Most Popular Reply

Real Estate Agent · Miramar Beach, FL · Member since 2016 · 285 posts · 245 votes
3y

@Michael A. Are you out of state or do you live in the area? I think finding appreciation in Springfield will be tough unless it's forced through value-adds. I like Dayton or Columbus more because they have more going for them across the board, but doubt you can find a quality multi up to your standards at $150K in those areas. I would look to house-hack if you are local -or- use this time to build up your financial readiness and see how the next 3-6 months shake out in some of those Midwest markets. No shame in being patient. 

See this reply in the discussion

4 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Real Estate Agent · Miramar Beach, FL · Member since 2016 · 285 posts · 245 votes
    3y

    @Michael A. Are you out of state or do you live in the area? I think finding appreciation in Springfield will be tough unless it's forced through value-adds. I like Dayton or Columbus more because they have more going for them across the board, but doubt you can find a quality multi up to your standards at $150K in those areas. I would look to house-hack if you are local -or- use this time to build up your financial readiness and see how the next 3-6 months shake out in some of those Midwest markets. No shame in being patient. 

  • Patrick DruryBusiness Member
    Real Estate Agent · Columbus, OH & Cleveland OH · Member since 2021 · 1k+ posts · 2k+ votes
    3y

    @Michael A.
    If you are looking for long-term growth, you aren't going to find it in Springfield, OH. I would look at Columbus if you want long-term growth in Ohio. 

  • Remington LymanBusiness Member
    Real Estate Agent · Columbus, OH · Member since 2017 · 6k+ posts · 7k+ votes
    3y
    Quote from @Michael A.:

    Was looking at a multi family in Springfield OH and on paper it looks good and cash flows. The neighborhood has less crime compared to other parts. My worry about Springfield is that it seems like a run down town and stagnant. I want my property to appreciate so I can take the equity in a few years and use it to buy another house. I don’t want to be stuck with a property in a town with no growth. I’ve thought about Dayton or other towns near Columbus. 

    Does anybody have any thoughts on Springfield or any good markets for someone who is looking at the $150k range? 


     I think Springfield will grow as Columbus continues to take off.

  • Carlos QuirosPro Member
    New to Real Estate · Los Angeles, CA · Member since 2023 · 83 posts · 64 votes
    2y
    Quote from @Michael A.:

    Was looking at a multi family in Springfield OH and on paper it looks good and cash flows. The neighborhood has less crime compared to other parts. My worry about Springfield is that it seems like a run down town and stagnant. I want my property to appreciate so I can take the equity in a few years and use it to buy another house. I don’t want to be stuck with a property in a town with no growth. I’ve thought about Dayton or other towns near Columbus. 

    Does anybody have any thoughts on Springfield or any good markets for someone who is looking at the $150k range? 


     Did you ever pull the trigger on this Michael? I recently stumbled upon Springfield and asking myself the same questions

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.